Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:08:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTelepath RPG: Servants of God is out!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Telepath RPG: Servants of God is out!  (Read 3461 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »

Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and so is Telepath RPG: Servants of God! Here is what folks have had to say about it so far:

At heart, it’s a turn-based tactical RPG that feels like what a game of chess would be like if each piece had a big character sheet of RPG stats to take into consideration. Stern must have played a lot of Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics as a kid, as he knows how to exploit the mechanics of this kind of combat to demand strategic and thoughtful thinking from the player.

–George Weidman, TruePCGaming

It’s a solid SRPG with a compelling story that should win over traditional tabletop wargamers, as well as anyone who enjoyed Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics…. Small strategic details like flank attacks and ranged weapon usage are exactly right. The conflict that drives the game is worldly and political, but the main character’s quest is a personal one about family. There’s even an in-game explanation for why you’re able to see the position of every fighter on the battlefield, which is a detail that isn’t usually addressed in an SRPG of any type or setting. What’s most inspiring about the game is the novelty of the setting, which never seems to wear itself out.

The Indie Mine

I am honestly surprised by the amount of dialogue in Telepath RPG, and at how well it is presented. Ideas are explored that most games ignore, such as how it feels to take someone’s life and how it is represented inside the mind.

–Rick B., Indie Theory

I played on Normal difficulty in the demo and even early on the combat design and enemy AI was challenging enough that I was rewarded for thinking ahead a few turns and paying attention to tactical aspects like flanking and unit direction….Narratively speaking the writing seems very good so far, and it’s clear that a lot of work went into characterization (as evidenced by the voice actor interviews on the developer’s YouTube channel) as well as the game’s intriguing and original Middle Eastern/Steampunk setting.

–Egge, Giant Bomb forums

You’ll complete various quests on a tree, with different quests and their outcomes having varying effects on the ending. Bringing in a real moral element, the choices that you make throughout the game will affect your experience later on.

–Brandy Shaul, GameZebo

I’m excited about this game.

–Jay Barnson, Rampant Games

But don't take their word for it--try for yourself! Wink
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:34:29 PM by Craig Stern » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:04 AM »

Today's the day! Keep an eye on sinisterdesign.net for the release announcement.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »

IT'S OUT. Epileptic

Also: Yawn (Last night was a late night for me.)

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »

Radd! I enjoyed Telepath Arena a lot, so I'll check this out  Well, hello there!
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »

Thanks! This is like Telepath Psy Arena 2, but for people who like reading and role-playing. Wink

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »

A patch for the game is coming out tonight, fixing some bugs and interface issues while adding in some extra voice acting. Keep an eye out! Blink

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »

I just noticed: total sales for Telepath RPG: Servants of God have now eclipsed all sales of Telepath Psy Arena 2, despite being twice as expensive. I must be doing something right.

Also: Rock Paper Shotgun ran a blurb on the game today, which was cool. Craig Pearson wrote it, and it's tagged Mystic Craig, which it took me a second to realize referred to him and not me. (What can I say, I'm not used to there being other Craigs around.)

I've squashed pretty much every single reported bug in the game now, so if you haven't downloaded it yet, now would be a good time to do so. (If you have already downloaded it, download again and have it Replace your old install; it'll fix bugs and add some goodies without touching your saved games.)

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:42 AM »

Oh, I'm a bit late, but congrats on the release, Craig Beer!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:40:15 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »

I have compiled some feedback while playing the game.  See here : http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/telepathFeedback.zip

I realize you may not be interested in doing most or even any of these changes, seeing as the game is already out, but here's the feedback regardless.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll add the legitimate bugs in there to my To-Do List for a future patch.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 07:47:26 AM »

I should add that the Adobe AIR installer is really a piece of garbage, and you shouldn't rely on it.  If you change the default install path and pick "Launch program after", it installs to the original path anyway, and then complains that it can't find the program.

Also, it just dumps your icon into the start menu.  There really should be it's own folder, with a shortcut to the manual as well.  I didn't even realize it had a manual until I looked in the folder myself

Consider re-doing the installer using a real install program and not that cheap AIR crap.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »

I'm already working on a new installer for Windows users, actually. I haven't given up on AIR completely, though--I think it would work better for a smaller game.

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »

Looks really cool!

If this is done with Adobe AIR, you might consider doing an in-browser demo with vanilla flash? I'm sure you'd get a much lower bounce rate that way, and a lot more sales.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:29:50 AM by larsiusprime » Logged

Nostrils!
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 08:34:45 AM »

Thanks!

I've thought about doing a browser demo, but it would take a huge amount of work--the game really isn't optimized for that sort of thing, unfortunately. Too much raster art, too big a file size, etc. If I do make one, it'll have to be really limited in scope. It's something to consider. Smiley

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »

Right, it's definitely no small task, so I don't want to do the usual drive-by glib "do this super hard thing!" post Tongue.

Since we're using similar technologies and similar games (Defender's Quest is an AIR-based tactical RPG of sorts), I'll share a bit of my experience in case it's relevant to you. I'll just share some data, so do take it with a grain of salt as it's only one data point, and feel free to do with it what you will.

This is your announce thread, so I don't want to sidetrack it talking about my own game (which is why I didn't post any links to it) unless I have something relevant to share with you.

That said, here's the data-dump:

In our experience, not only does a browser-based demo vastly increase your demo-plays and exposure rate (which also makes it easier to get journalists to write about your game), it also lets you use flash portals for distribution. We set up 4 different "buy" pages for our game to do some basic tracking, we had one regular "buy" page that is linked all over our website, and then three "demo_buy" pages that are linked to from various versions of the demo. The first, demo_buy.html, is linked from the browser demo we host, which was quickly "stolen" and uploaded to a bunch of tiny flash portals, it's also linked to by the download version of the demo. The second, demo_buy_kong.html, which was linked from Kongregate's version of the demo (before we switched to selling the game with their on site currency "kreds"), as well as on all the flash portals that steal from Kong, and then there's demo_buy_ng.html, linked to from the Newgrounds version and the portals that steal from NG.

Here's some quick stats:

-17122 hits - demo_buy.html (demo landing page, our site and minor flash portals)
-12348 hits - demo_buy_kong.html (kongregate demo landing page)
-2644 hits - demo_buy_ng.html (newgrounds demo landing page)

-13898 hits - windows demo exe
-431 hits - windows demo torrent
-negligible hits - non-windows demos, both direct&torrent

-7340 hits - buy.html (regular buy page, linked from all sources EXCEPT the demo)

That basically says where people are coming from. BOTH the download version of the demo and the browser demo link to demo_buy. So, although buy.html could include some hits from demo players (as well as people who bought the game sight-unseen), the demo_buy... links only come from within a demo, so we can be pretty sure that's what those hits represent.

Also note the demo_buy hits represent people clicking through from the demo - actual demo plays were much higher (since not everyone wants to buy).

We had more raw hits than sales, obviously, but the correlations are pretty tight and we had other stats to confirm that sales from these sources matched those ratios. Based on some other tracking (coupon codes & some other things), about 80-90% of our sales have come from Kongregate+Newgrounds alone.

(We're not doing "microtransactions", as in in-game items and other piecemeal stuff. The NG demo just links to our buy page, and on Kong when we switched to Kreds all we are selling is the full version unlock).

Most of the revenue is from Kongregate, but even at a far distant second, Newgrounds still exceeded all of the revenue we gained from a very positive Rock Paper Shotgun review.

I have no idea if you would see the same results we did, but I think there's something to browser-based demos and using flash portals for distribution. Our full game was way too huge for flash portals, but using conditional compilation in FlashDevelop I was able to create a simple boolean trigger I could switch off to exclude full-version-only assets and publish things with compressed images and audio settings, etc, to get down to a reasonable file size.

If any of this is interesting to you, I'd be more than happy to share some more of my tricks since we're using similar technologies.

Your price point might make your game a tough sell to the flash portal crowd (they are cheapskates for the most part), but a browser demo could still be useful on your own site. Customers keep telling us it's the #1 reason they bought the game.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:22:30 AM by larsiusprime » Logged

Nostrils!
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »

Craig Stern you are just so damn sexy. Please be sure to collect data and keep track of your thoughts in the coming weeks so we can all benefit from a comprehensive write-up/post mortem.  Toast Left

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »

You know it. Wink

@larsiusprime: Thanks for sharing your numbers, that's really helpful!

I guess that shouldn't surprise me. To this day, Telepath RPG: Chapter 2 is responsible for 99% of the name recognition I have out on the web, and a huge amount of the traffic that comes to my website. Looks like it's time to end my brief vacation from working on TSoG and go leverage the advantages of Flash browser deployment. Smiley

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »

Cool, if it's not out of line, I've written some articles that might help you with that:

Deployment Strategy

Lessons in Demo Launching

Also, if you need any help with AIR, I know a lot of tricks with it to make it more tolerable to people. Most people don't realize our game is packaged with AIR as we leverage the NativeApp API, which also lets us do cool desktop-native things like in-game resolution switching (I can share the scripts with you if you're interested).

This does increase maintenance a bit, and you need a Mac/Win/Linux box for each platform you want to support with NativeApp (whereas you only need one to do generic AIR).

One last thing - I'll share our full sales numbers and other data eventually in case it is of use to folks like you (on a separate and relevant thread, of course). Right now that data is under embargo because it's part of an article that Gamasutra wants the exclusive on, but as soon as they run it or reject it, I'll post 'em.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:56:33 AM by larsiusprime » Logged

Nostrils!
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

Quick update: I just released the game's soundtrack yesterday! Check it out. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic