Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:12:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLet's discuss traps!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's discuss traps!!  (Read 5331 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »

Anybody who knows anything about gaming knows how traps in gaming work. Thwomp is a trap. Pirahna Plant is a trap. Disappearing or fake floors is a trap. Timed spikes is a trap.

So what have been the best, or most surprising traps in games you can think of? Any of them you loved? Any you've hated?

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »

I can't remember the best one but the most surprising one was in IWBTG when the crashing window from Windows XP appeared and smashed my character.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »

undead dragon in dark souls  Lips Sealed
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:47:04 AM »

In super mario land 2 where there are these fish that get big and spiky and kill you and you can only pass when the deflate (for like 5 seconds  Angry )

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Herr Schnurrbart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »

nonnonononononononononononononononononnononononononononononon ;_;

keo
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

tecmo's deception series, come to mind.  I only have faint memories of my brother playing, I think you combo various traps, say one trap flung a monster into a wall, that opened a pit of spikes at that location, and a boulder fill on top of them.  something like that... I've always wanted to do a turned based strategy with that in mind.
Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:54 PM »

Instead of just posting examples with no actual explanation what they are, isn't the purpose of this to discuss why it's good? The best traps I remember are the ones that make me go "doh, I should have expected that" afterward, and at the same time teach you something about the game.

One non-standard trap that always springs back to my mind is at the beginning of Abe's Oddysee - one of the goals of the game is to save the 100 Mudokons. In one of the first rooms of the game, there is a Mudokon standing on a thin floor and there is a lever next to him with big text above it telling you how to pull levers (it's both the first Mudokon and the first lever). It's painfully obvious when I type it out in text like that, but every single player I've seen has pulled the lever anyway. The trapdoor opens up, the Mudokon makes a comical scream as he falls to his death, and the player character just responds with "oops."

It's a trap, but it teaches you a bunch of things in a memorable way - how levers work, and how you need to be careful with them. It also shows that Mudokons are expendable (and so are you), and also that there are irreversible actions, so it sets the theme up rather well. If you want a "perfect" file then you can get back to that point very quickly, too.

Basically, the objective is to have a trap that teaches you something and doesn't punish you too harshly for falling into it. Bonus points if it's hilarious too.

iffi
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »

Every. Single. Step. Of La-Mulana's Hell Temple.
I'm not sure whether I love them or hate them. It's hilarious to watch someone else go crazy from falling into the various Lands of Hell over and over and over and over again, but beyond infuriating if you try doing it yourself for more than a few minutes at a time. Then again, their main purpose is to make you simply give up, and they do a splendid job of that.
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:14:02 AM »

Continuing the independent route, I honestly think the arrow traps in Spelunky are great. They aren't hidden, they only fire once, yet you will get hit more than once per play through before you eventually complete the game. They have the added bonus, something all traps should do, which is harm enemies that pass into their line of sight too.

Oh damn, Metroid. I'm talking about the first one particularly... I don't have the brains to fully explain myself, but basically every enemy in the game has traits that most games would put on traps. Some enemies move in a "thwomp" pattern, but then also swoop sideways at you. Others are living spikes. Others still walking around the small platforms you need to jump onto, knocking the player off if they don't take them out from a distance or time their jump right. This in part is why the game feels so isolated and sinister, the enemies are traps!
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »

The fake doors in Ocarina of Time that fall onto you when you try and open them (after which you'll keep smashing doors with the hammer for a few temples). First time that happened:

"Okay, a door. Imma open it"
*Schwoing!*
"Whu?"
*Door falls onto Link*
"Whattafack? Ô,Ô"

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »

It's worth noting that those are very easy to detect - normal doors show up on the map but fake ones don't, and fake ones stick out of the wall. Even if you don't detect it, and you try to open it, you can easily move out of the way to dodge it, too.

But I think they're awesome traps anyway, and it was effective enough to cause you paranoia like that.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »

i liked how in dungeon crawl stone soup there were fake "monster" doors, treasures, stairs, pretty much anything. you'd be like 'oh good that's the stairs out of here!' and then like 'noooo it's a monster stairs!'

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »

the treasure chest monster in dark souls - one of the freakiest, funniest, and most surprising trap i've encountered in a long time...

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »

The fake doors in Ocarina of Time that fall onto you when you try and open them (after which you'll keep smashing doors with the hammer for a few temples). First time that happened:

"Okay, a door. Imma open it"
*Schwoing!*
"Whu?"
*Door falls onto Link*
"Whattafack? Ô,Ô"
Your quote is not relevant but who is your avatar? It is fun to see those people fail to convert you from one religion to another:=)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »

the treasure chest monster in dark souls - one of the freakiest, funniest, and most surprising trap i've encountered in a long time...

Those are Mimics, and they're in quite a few games, although mostly RPG's. And while it's not totally unexpected, the way their contorted bodies look is quite an original take on them (most don't use arms/legs), and there is something delightful about watching them throw jumping karate kicks at you.

The first one I encountered in Dark Souls... the Lightning Spear one in Sen's Fortress... I defeated by luring it into the boulder trap. It was winding up for one of those powerful sobat kicks when *WHAM!!*, it gets bowled over. Couple friends watching me play almost wet themselves laughing at that.

Good times! :D

inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 03:14:13 AM »

who is your avatar?
George Carlin. Religion went out the window a long time ago.

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »

Thanks, that doesn't really matter;) Every extremist is amusing, regardles on which side of the fence he is sitting. But this man is not dumb.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
senorbarborito
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »

one of the best traps that comes to memory is in one of those "asshole mario" games.

so there's a hole, and you go and walk towards it and press jump.

but instead of jumping over the hole you bang your head against one of those invisible coin blocks, and fall directly into the hole.

that shit made me laugh the first time, it was completely unexpected and totally unfair.

it strikes me that it might just be the perfect trap because it doesn't need any items other than the level's most basic building blocks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:30:02 PM by Señor Barborito » Logged
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »

Trap doors in MGS. Even after you know they are there, there is a good chance of you walking, hearing a click, stopping to figure out what it is, and having the door open under you to kill your big idiot self.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic