Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:42:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLet's discuss traps!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Let's discuss traps!!  (Read 5332 times)
st33d
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:08 AM »

Those are Mimics, and they're in quite a few games, although mostly RPG's. And while it's not totally unexpected, the way their contorted bodies look is quite an original take on them (most don't use arms/legs)

I've not played Dark Souls and the last few nights I've been animating a treasure chest sprouting arms and legs and the chest itself becoming a big gaping mouth.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »

Those are Mimics, and they're in quite a few games, although mostly RPG's. And while it's not totally unexpected, the way their contorted bodies look is quite an original take on them (most don't use arms/legs)

I've not played Dark Souls and the last few nights I've been animating a treasure chest sprouting arms and legs and the chest itself becoming a big gaping mouth.

You've got the right idea there. Smiley Can't wait to see how that looks!

DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »

A different aspect to traps: Rewarding the player if he manages to detect and not activate them.
It's incredibly fun to lure enemies into traps you have not triggered!
I do this whenever I can. In Oblivion and Skyrim, where traps are generally very weak, I would always take my time and lure enemies into them, knowing it would be much easier to just smash their head with my axe. It adds a certain aspect of slyness and Schadenfreude.

I like traps in Fallout because if you see and recognize them before tripping them, and you have a high enough Repair skill to defuse them, you get rewarded with a small bit of XP and, depending on the trap, some ammo or an explosive. To that end, I always feel like I lose out when I miss a trap not because now I have two broken feet, but because I WANTED that land mine. I can heal my feet, but that mine is gone forever.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic