Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:42:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Turner (Lugaru)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Turner (Lugaru)  (Read 53346 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 10:25:48 PM »

I still prefer the idea of [button] => [direction] => [throw in direction]. Or press one button to ready the knife, during which stance you can aim, and press again to throw. It can be as fast as you are able to press-aim-press. Hmm. I'm not so fond of the latter proposition though.

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:58 AM »

ya the button direction thing is actually not slow at all.

If you've played against anyone even half decent as Pit in brawl, you'll know what I'm talking about.

(damn you pit and your forsaken curving arrows)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:40:08 PM by Nitro Crate » Logged
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »

How about this:

The knife would be thrown by pressing S and then choosing a direction. There would be little to no lag. However, Lugaru would have a recharge on the knives. He would get 4 knives to start, and then you have to wait 5 or 6 seconds for each one to come back. That way you could try things like throwing knives, hiding for a bit, and then coming out to try and throw some more. It would balance out the move and prevent spamming, while still allowing for strategy revolving around it.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 11:18:20 PM »

I prefer increpare's idea of having to pick it up again. But I do think it would be OK to hold S to aim. If you want a quick horizontal throw you can just tap S, and if you want to aim you hold it marginally longer. So you get the best of both worlds.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:53:18 AM »

It's kind of funny that most of the discussion on this thread has been about Turner's projectile attacks- and he's primarily a melee character.

A lot of the suggestions are really great, though. We'll probably need to try a couple of the approaches mentioned before we can decide what would work best.

Jeff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »

Oh man, this is awesome.
-Jeff (Wolfire Games)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »

Oh man, this is awesome.
-Jeff (Wolfire Games)
Wolfire games is the company that made lugaru.  Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 11:03:15 AM »

Oh man, this is awesome.
-Jeff (Wolfire Games)
Wolfire games is the company that made lugaru.  Gentleman

Yes, in his reply mail to my permission request, he even proposed this scheme:

Quote from: Jeff
A - weak stun punch
> A - slower, powerful roundhouse kick
v A - low sweep kick
^ A - upwards backflip (flash) kick

Air - quick kick
^Air - same as ^A
>Air - strong kick
vAir - down spike kick

S - throw knife (auto aim), or pick up knife. He only has one. It does a little damage when it hits, and a lot when you pull it out of someone
> S - leg cannon (double jump kick)
^ S - grab opponents out of the air and slam them to the ground
v S - counter

S is the same in the air

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »

Good to see we have another indie developer on board. Turner looks like a good candidate for character #3.

That's a pretty nice move list, too.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 03:01:15 AM »

Jeff (Wolfire Games)? Whoa, now that's an approval!

I really like the move-list you suggested, as well. The old one seems a little too ranged-orientated in button dedication. I mean, I used throwing knives like crazy, but Turner is still about the hand-to-hand.

And the Auto-aim knife with a pull out brings melee back into the equation.

Knice. Sorry, couldn't resist.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

Nightshade raised a good point in the Liero thread: Are we sure we want to include Turner in the game, considering that Overgrowth is coming out soon? Presumably the hero of Overgrowth will be pretty similar to Turner, and we won't want to include both of them. Overgrowth will probably be a better game juding by the amount of work Wolfire is putting into it, but on the other hand many more people know Lugaru because it's been out for so long and was recently given out freely for Christmas.

Personally I think we should put Turner on hold until Overgrowth comes out and then we can decide.

medieval
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »

The hero of Overgrowth will be Turner
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »

Screamy

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »

He'll probably have some new moves, though.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »

Yeah, Turner probably will get some new moves, but I think it's likely that the old ones will stay too.
I think we'd be off quite well with the movelist Jeff of Wolfire suggested. But we could also ask him to revise the movelist and add some new signature moves.
Or we could just wait until Overgrowth comes out.
But I really would like to have him in the first Milestone roster...  Sad
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:53:07 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
medieval
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 04:17:24 AM »

Meh, we'll be alright if we do him now.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »

So, I've nearly finished Dwarf but I've still got plenty of time before school starts. If nobody else wants to code him, I can. Looking at this movelist:

A - weak stun punch
> A - slower, powerful roundhouse kick
v A - low sweep kick
^ A - upwards backflip (flash) kick

Air - quick kick
^Air - same as ^A
>Air - strong kick
vAir - down spike kick

S - throw knife (auto aim), or pick up knife. He only has one. It does a little damage when it hits, and a lot when you pull it out of someone
> S - leg cannon (double jump kick)
^ S - grab opponents out of the air and slam them to the ground
v S - counter

S is the same in the air
It seems almost perfect. For the S ^ I was thinking it could be a grapple that doubles as a recovery move, similar to Captain Falcon's up+B. Turner would shoot up into the air, hands ready to grab, and if he hit anyone, they would both hover for a moment, and then Turner would throw them down at a 45 degree angle.

EDIT: Actually, I do realise now that this movelist is lacking a bit in weapons. What if we were to make the Av into a staff attack, characterised by its long reach?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:28:18 AM by chutup » Logged

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 04:44:06 AM »

Good idea!
I still would keep the round house and the flash kick though.

How exactly should this work? Should thrown knifes stick in enemies? So they keep on loosing a bit of health every second or so? And how should pulling out the knife work?

Also speaking of brutality: what about blood effects?  Evil

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 05:34:13 AM »

Jeff's movelist is my favorite, but I'd made a few suggestions earlier.

>A - Power Kick - A powerful roundhouse kick that sends the foe twirling away, deprived of control until he/she hits the ground.
(This does not change the style of the attack, but it does make it more unique. This was suggested in an earlier move list, and I think it's worth keeping)

^A - Staff Swing - Turner swings up with his staff.

vA - Staff Smash - Turner swings down doing huge damage. The attack can be charged up to deal additional damage.
-or-
vA - Staff Spin - Turner twirls his staff, damaging enemies on all sides.
(Turner is carrying a staff, so it doesn't make sense for him not to use it. These attacks are not much different from those Jeff suggested, except for looks. Alternately, you could keep the kicks, and just get rid of the staff)

vA(aerial) - Falling Kick - Turner plummets quickly with his foot stretched out. If he lands on an enemy, he hits them for mid-low damage and bounds back into the air, all aerial abilities recovered.
(Expanded the mechanics a bit. The other aerials could be basically the same as his ground attacks)

S - Throw Knife - Turner throws a low damage knife directly to the right.
(I still don't like the auto-aiming, and I think Jeff's suggestion, while interesting, would be a bit too obscure for most players to understand)

>S - Rabbit Kick - Turner jumps feet first at the enemy, doing very high damage and knockback if it hits and the enemy isn't blocking, else Turner suffers a large recovery time.
(Expanded the mechanics a bit)

^S - Chopper - Turner spins around with staff extended, rising slightly, but maintaining great horizontal mobility. High damage if it hits multiple times.
(Standard recovery move)

The only move really missing here is some sort of grab.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »

He just got too many moves!
I think it would be great to have a grab too, but I wouldn't know what to replace it with.
Your move list seems to be rounded off the best though.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Clemens Scott
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic