Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:19:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Turner (Lugaru)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Turner (Lugaru)  (Read 53643 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »

I think Turner's punch needs a major overhaul. Turner has lots of attacks with great reach and knockback, so there's almost no situation where such a short-ranged attack is worth using. I'm thinking of replacing it with a staff jab- quick and weak, but with decent reach. What do you think?

shig
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »

Make it so that if the player holds/mashes the attack button Turner unleashes a flurry of punches. That way you get a nice reward for getting close enough to hit that, since you`d be able to hit a few punches and THEN hit one of the stronger moves.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure we've agreed that there will be no button mashing.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »

I think when he says button mashing, he doesn't mean to an insane level. Think about when you're playing Smash Bros and doing an A-neutral combo. You do need to press it regularly, but you don't wear out your fingers on it.

I think the staff jab or punch flurry would both work pretty well.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »

You do need to press it regularly, but you don't wear out your fingers on it.
Your obviously not playing it right. I press like 5 buttons a second whenever I'm attacking.

But anyway, a 3 or 4 button hit combo would work just fine, however I vote for the staff attack.
shig
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2009, 08:11:54 AM »

Make it so that if the player holds/mashes the attack button Turner unleashes a flurry of punches.
so that if the player holds/mashes the attack button
holds/mashes
holds

Mock Anger

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »

Still I think mashing is better than holding. If you hold a button and the character performs a several-hit combo you loose some of the feeling that it is you that is fighting, your finger pressing the button that makes the character fight.

I think the best way to do it either by making the player press the button as many times as there are hits in the combo, but maybe with an even rythm, or the more hardcore choice that the player actually needs to press the button for every attack in the combo in the right timing. That will force players to memorize the exact pauses between hits, making it ultra-hardcore Addicted
medieval
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »

I am with JLJac. four quick button taps would work just fine. In smash brothers, some times I press a button four times just to be sure I get it once.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:08 AM »

Turner is one of the earliest characters of IB, yet he still doesn't have many animations.
I loved Lugaru and am a regular visitor of the Wolfire blog since Overgrowth was still known as Lugaru 2, so I have decided that he will be my next character.

Up to now, he has been a pain in the ass to animate and get his anatomy right, but I think I just have to get used to him. Here's a jumping sprite, an edited version of his idle animation as well as a first rough draft for the walk cycle.

Since he is such a huge character, his idle sprite works perfectly fine for the portrait:

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »

Awsome! Maybe in the running one he could have his ears down a bit, like if they're trailing after him in the wind? Would compensate for him stretching his legs and keep him in the hitbox vertically.
shig
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 07:19:22 AM »

The way he holds the staff changes drastically in the jumping animation.
Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »

I think that's intentional; I'm no artist, but I think it is more relaxed for him to let it fall back like that. Otherwise, he's actively forcing it to remain in an awkward position.

Also, isn't it a rule of animation to avoid static positioning?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »

For not being an artist you sound an awful lot like one Cheesy
Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »

So, all it takes to sound like an artist is to apply a little bit of common sense and logic?

I didn't know it was that easy.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »

a bit of bounce on the landing might be nice, but i may have a go at this myself.

edit: just added a frame to the landing. feel free to edit
edit2: modified the physics of the jump as well, seemed a bit weird.

Origina =========== New
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:43:26 AM by JMickle » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »

Before doing any more work on Turner, there are two issues I want to iron out.

1. I believe Turner has pants now. Should we add them?

2. I think part of the reason people have been hesitant to work on Turner is due to his idle pose. It doesn't look easy to work with, since he's so scrunched up. Perhaps he should be standing in a taller, more comfortable pose?

Those animations are looking good so far. Except the portrait is only really suitable as a placeholder.

Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »

Yeah, it'd be kind of lazy not to give him a real portrait. it still works for the time being though
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »

I tried to edit your walking sprite to make it into more of a running position with him leaning in quite a bit but then I remembered I have less artistic abilities then a brick and its 2 am.  Sad

Yami
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »

The movement of the ears are a bit stiff in the jump animation.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »

Awsome! Maybe in the running one he could have his ears down a bit, like if they're trailing after him in the wind? Would compensate for him stretching his legs and keep him in the hitbox vertically.

Yeah, there is no real detail movement in the upper body at all yet. It's really just the legs and the general movement of the rest of the body. I plan to lower his head and bend his uper body forward more, as well as moving his arms and head during the run.

The way he holds the staff changes drastically in the jumping animation.
Yep, that's because he actaully holds it real awkward in the first place. It looks good in the idle, but isn't very suitable for the other animations. And if you think about it, he'd almost need to break his arm to be able to hold the staff like that.
I'll probably edit the idle animation and change his hand some time (as usual, everyone else is welcome to do so in the meantime).

a bit of bounce on the landing might be nice, but i may have a go at this myself.

edit: just added a frame to the landing. feel free to edit
edit2: modified the physics of the jump as well, seemed a bit weird.

Origina =========== New

The movement of the ears are a bit stiff in the jump animation.

Well, the thing with jumping animations is, that I never really put that much care into the movement itself. For IB we really only need two frames, one for raising and one for falling. It's a little boring to put two static frames next to each other, so I like to make a small animation that shows off what the jump will approximately look like in-game.

I tried to edit your walking sprite to make it into more of a running position with him leaning in quite a bit but then I remembered I have less artistic abilities then a brick and its 2 am.  Sad

Yeah, it definitely needs more work - I'll see what I can get to today.

Before doing any more work on Turner, there are two issues I want to iron out.

1. I believe Turner has pants now. Should we add them?

2. I think part of the reason people have been hesitant to work on Turner is due to his idle pose. It doesn't look easy to work with, since he's so scrunched up. Perhaps he should be standing in a taller, more comfortable pose?

Those animations are looking good so far. Except the portrait is only really suitable as a placeholder.

Good that you mention it - I was wondering already if that is a shadow in the idle animation or some kind of black pants. The thing is: in the original Lugaru, Turner had no pants on, but later, a fan made high resolution texture pack was released that now is part of the official package (I think) where Turner is actually wearing pants. However, the pants were sort of longer (over his knees) and not those hotpants that he wears (if you like to think so) in the idle animation.
Here's a quick alternative with Turner wearing pants:

Shall we vote?  Smiley

However I quite like his idle pose. Yes, it is pretty scrunched up, but it should work fine as an 'alert and ready for fighting' type pose. Also his attacks will seem a lot more powerful, because he becomes a lot taller when he stretches his legs. Once more animations are done we can see how the idle animation fits and then make changes if necessary.

I can see nothing wrong with the portrait though, other than it might be a little too small. How should a 'real' portrait differ other than that? I mean how much more Turner can it get?

Overall, it's good to see so much feedback. It will still take a while to finish him, because he has many complex animations (especially 360° rotation stuff), so don't wait for him with the MS2 release. Wink
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:20:20 AM by Rostiger » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic