Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:06:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHierarchy of values on games
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Hierarchy of values on games  (Read 5347 times)
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »

ghost trick (for example) is a great game but has zero "replay value"

I completely disagree. I've played that game multiple times, and enjoyed it each time.

Back to what I was saying before, it's like re-reading a book, or re-watching a movie. You know it's going to be the same, but it was so good last time, that you know it's worth it.

It's not going to be much different from play-through to play-through, but it still clearly holds enough value to warrant being played again, in my mind. If it's worth replaying, then I consider it to have "replay value," whether it is linear or not.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »

"useful to know" isn't the same as being a quality factor. same with price. other media reviews usually mention length as well. the problem is more that "replay value" is somehow seen as a "good thing" in itself.

a bad game you can play in a dozen different ways is still ultimately a bad game and probably doesnt warrant multiple playthroughs (or even one) anyway. on the other side of things, ghost trick (for example) is a great game but has zero "replay value" because being a linear puzzle/adventure game, that's just not part of its design. should developers really be punished for making linear gams?

You could say all of this about "Graphics" or "Music". Replay Value is sometimes given higher weight than other metrics, but if you score each metric separately the person reading the review can just juggle the weights to their own preferences instead.

If Ghost Trick was exactly the same game, but offered more incentive to give it a second time around, it would be a better game than if it was just the way it is now.

It's not about punishing people who make linear games, but rewarding people who make games with more depth and breadth of content.

It pretty much goes without saying that a maximum score in every field for a game that simply isn't any fun to play doesn't change the fact the game isn't any fun to play.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »

I don't believe in the concept of "replayability" in general.
Then you don't understand much about games in general.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »

should developers really be punished for making linear gams?
Yes, in my modest opinion.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
pgil
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »

I don't believe in the concept of "replayability" in general.
Then you don't understand much about games in general.

why?

why does a game have to be "re-playable"?

*I'm not talking about some game you paid $60 for.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »

Because I don't like to just follow paths. What makes an interesting game is making up your own paths. A game shall be more than just a reflex-exercise. If the game is supposed to be just a one-time experience then it is ok, but I would rather put it in an interactive movie/art-category. Perhaps the meaning of games has expanded but we shall not forget its core.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:53:58 PM by J-Snake » Logged

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »

i think rating a game's price on how long it is to finish is stupid
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »

I dunno about that. Sometimes it IS about how much money is worth investing in a title; especially since that compares directly with production costs, and sales figures, and ultimately determines whether a game is "successful" or not. You wouldn't be buying FF VII for $8 today if somebody 17 years ago didn't decide it was worth paying $80 for.

How many games do you have right now, that you wouldn't pay $60 for, but you picked it up because you found it priced between $20-40? And especially as indie gaming enthusiasts - which I dare call members of the forum - how many of these indie games have you enjoyed so much you'd GLADLY give $40-50 for an accurate modern-console port/AAA remake for, compared with other similarly-priced AAA titles?

I was trying to take "WhatGamesAre" seriously, until reading about how apparently a successful project "requires" four coders to succeed, and how Minecraft's success is built on PC gamer tribalism, by users who are only smart enough to create a scaled version of Earth and a working microprocessor, in spite of how ABSURDLY DIFFICULT IT IS to understand a deep concept such as "the IP address." Cheesy

The funniest part was that the entire point of what they took from that whole thing, is that for something to sell, it takes an incredible marketing story. No, seriously.

Also, anybody not packing six figures should give up now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:42:46 PM by baconman » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »

i won't be buying ff7 any day you piss fucker
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2012, 12:01:03 AM »

i won't be buying ff7 any day you piss fucker