Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:50:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you play your own games?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Do you play your own games?  (Read 9989 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 06:08:11 AM »

in my view, the jedi are evil

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »

i think it's identity that's actually the illusion. think of it this way: 10 years ago you had very different views, you were a very different person, all of your atoms (or almost all) were completely different, utterly different personality, and yet you expect me to believe that that person 10 years ago, and that person 10 years from now, are both the same you that exists now? that they have anything in common at all? they don't have anything in common, they're completely different people, as different from one another as i am different from you, if not more. yet why do we call the person from 10 years ago, or even the person from 10 days ago, "me"?
Personality is not defined as a set of atoms, or identified by it. It can remain invariant to the amount of atoms recycled in your body. But even when you change your personality, you are still a human being.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »

humans are made from cells, not atoms.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »

And cells are made out of atoms, doesn't really affect the argument.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 06:33:47 AM »

no, they are alive
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:16 AM »

They are not in the same sense alive as what your consciousness suggests. That's the delusion of self-projection.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »

but whats the difference between animate and inanimate objects than? Im not made from rocks.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:06 AM »

I already said that your personality/consciousness is not defined as a set of atoms.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »

but you are trying to prove that our brain is made from atoms
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 06:55:01 AM »

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:32 AM »

but you are trying to prove that our brain is made from atoms
No, I am not trying to prove that because we can all assume that brain is made out of matter. You got that wrong, either on purpose or not.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:50 AM »

Identity is a social negotiation, it is always in flux no matter what it is that is being identified.

You could declare your games aren't fun, I could declare they are. At that point, are you making fun games or aren't you?

Identities aren't illusions or delusions, they are shared reference points for social interaction.

The point is... ... ... ... ... fuck if I know.

Bagels.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:54 AM »

Consciousness itself cannot be understood because it is a self-referencing act, in order to research consciousness you need consciousness. It is the same as if you would ask Mr. Almighty to create a rock he cannot move. There is no way to answer this question without violating the premise.

But you can observe correlations in brain activities and consciousness. The finding is that not all brain parts contribute to your consciousness. Point in case is that you cannot project your personality onto other things, it is equal to just assuming nonsense.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:17 AM »

but other things are alive too
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »

That doesn't imply that other things have a comparable level of consciousness.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »

Consciousness itself cannot be understood because it is a self-referencing act, in order to research consciousness you need consciousness. It is the same as if you would ask Mr. Almighty to create a rock he cannot move. There is no way to answer this question without violating the premise.

But you can observe correlations in brain activities and consciousness. The finding is that not all brain parts contribute to your consciousness. Point in case is that you cannot project your personality onto other things, it is equal to just assuming nonsense.

conversations like this, though, are exactly why games like that are interesting. even if you disagree with the ideas of the game, it triggering conversations and thinking about things like identity is valuable. more valuable than mere "fun" anyway.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »

so who plays their games

himojoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »

I play my games during development, but too the point of I now hate looking at them.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »

I sometimes do, and usually I'm pleasently surprised by them though I usually find details I want to fix. The last time I played my game on Steam I put out a new version with tiny tweaks.

Also, the ship of thesius is the paradox of a ship in which eventually every plank is replaced: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus Its an interesting introduction to the philosophy of identity.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »

I'm taking note here that all you have to do to summon paul eres for a chat is to resurrect and old topic where he's posted.

rinku do you still review stuff for the front page and if so how do I best contact you if I wanted your services?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic