Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:54:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Quote and Curly
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Quote and Curly  (Read 57619 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

I think straight up would be best, and also in keeping with the source material.

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »

Cave Story + Jump

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »

I think maybe the cap should wobble only when he going down, not when ascending ?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »

That's pretty easy to change.

Oh, and I was thinking Quote would shoot straight upwards.

shig
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »

To be honest, while I think Oracle's stuff is all sorts of awesome I have to say I would prefer if Quote's jumping/walking animation looked more like they did in the original Cave Story. For nostalgia's sake.

Didn't get it? Ok, take a look at this.

Notice how the way they walk looks NOTHING alike?
But I'll understand it if you don't redo it. Making this must have been a lot of work and, to be honest, it looks really awesome.

Also, IMO summoning King's Soul should be a close range attack. Not only does Quote already have more than enough projectile attacks, but it would also be cooler: Quote raises King's sword, King's ghost appears and floats on top of Quote's head and attacks with these flying slash things, hitting anything that is under a certain radius. It could be his vA, since it would attack both sides.

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

To be honest, while I think Oracle's stuff is all sorts of awesome I have to say I would prefer if Quote's jumping/walking animation looked more like they did in the original Cave Story. For nostalgia's sake.

But I'll understand it if you don't redo it. Making this must have been a lot of work and, to be honest, it looks really awesome.

That's a 3 frame (4 if you count the repeat) walking animation on a sprite that its about 1/3 of the size we are working on...i think it works ok on the original, but doesn't translate too well to this particular project.
Also, you are welcome to create the animation yourself if you don't like it and want to contribute (or edit the animation for that matter).
shig
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »

i think it works ok on the original, but doesn't translate too well to this particular project.

On a second tought, if you actually somehow managed to translate it to this style, it would look kinda retarded without the chibi-ness.
But it would still be possible with the jump, I think.

Also, you are welcome to create the animation yourself if you don't like it and want to contribute (or edit the animation for that matter).

Ok, I'll try, but I don't think I have the skill to do that. D:
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

Also, IMO summoning King's Soul should be a close range attack. Not only does Quote already have more than enough projectile attacks, but it would also be cooler: Quote raises King's sword, King's ghost appears and floats on top of Quote's head and attacks with these flying slash things, hitting anything that is under a certain radius. It could be his vA, since it would attack both sides.
The way I envision it is that Quote slashes with his sword, and then King flies forward about a hundred pixels, slashing several times. It would function more like an attack with great reach than a projectile. I'm also thinking this could be an unblockable attack.

medieval
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:48 PM »

Also, if his projectiles were to be made weaker because he would be otherwise overpowered...

Wouldn't that make him pretty weak and lousy to play with?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »

I'm also thinking this could be an unblockable attack.
I think Quote is getting far too much powerful already, for anyone who played Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I would like to present Cable, also a ranged character, damn unbeatable, he was strictly forbidden to use when I played among my friends.
medieval
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 06:15:17 AM »

I'm also thinking this could be an unblockable attack.
I think Quote is getting far too much powerful already, for anyone who played Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I would like to present Cable, also a ranged character, damn unbeatable, he was strictly forbidden to use when I played among my friends.
Just what I was thinking.

Some suggestions:

The blade could just be used as a melee weapon, but maybe with King assisting you, which results in multiple quick hits.

Also, aren't regular attacks usually melee attacks? I think Quote could do just a tid bit with some more kick and punch, for he would otherwise be kind of weak in close combat, and would have lots of choices in ranged battle. Sure we should stay true to the original character, but all characters are now presented to new enemies, and they need to adapt a little, right?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 07:01:59 AM »

Also, if his projectiles were to be made weaker because he would be otherwise overpowered... Wouldn't that make him pretty weak and lousy to play with?
I'm sure there's a middle ground.

And I would like to present Rock from Soul Calibur 3. His reach was just about the best in the game, but he is almost universally regarded as one of the weakest characters, since he's so slow. If we make Spirit King a slow attack, it would be pretty balanced, I think.

The blade could just be used as a melee weapon, but maybe with King assisting you, which results in multiple quick hits.
The current plan is to have two attacks with the blade- a standard sword swing and the king-summoning attack. Both are more-or-less melee-oriented; while 100 pixels is pretty good reach, it's nothing exceptional, so it would still be a fairly close-ranged attack.
Also, aren't regular attacks usually melee attacks?
Generally, but I see no need to limit ourselves to that.
I think Quote could do just a tid bit with some more kick and punch, for he would otherwise be kind of weak in close combat, and would have lots of choices in ranged battle. Sure we should stay true to the original character, but all characters are now presented to new enemies, and they need to adapt a little, right?
Not having a lot of options for melee combat doesn't necessarily make him weak up close. If Blade, Spirit King and Booster are all solid attacks, he'll at least be able to hold his own in close combat. If we add the Missile Launcher as his vA attack, he'll have four short-ranged attacks.

Incidentally, Quote really only has three options for a ranged battle: Polar Star, Spur and Fireball. If Quote misses with Spur, he'll have to rely on his other two attacks, one of which causes no knockback, while the other only works on grounded enemies. He isn't great at keeping enemies away, so his melee attacks will definitely come in handy. I think it's a good balance.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »

I've already finished programming 5 of Quote's attacks. Let's get animating, people!

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 08:57:55 PM »

yeah!

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 01:51:06 AM »

That's a 3 frame (4 if you count the repeat) walking animation on a sprite that its about 1/3 of the size we are working on...i think it works ok on the original, but doesn't translate too well to this particular project.

I think you actually did an excellent job on animating Quote. He has the same bouncy, a bit stomping walk like the original, but the animation also adapts to the stylized "new" Quote quite well. If the animation should look more like the original, the character has to look more like the original.

I've already finished programming 5 of Quote's attacks. Let's get animating, people!

Oooh, ohh, I gotta give that a try! Can't promise anything since I haven't animated stuff in quite a while, but I shall accept the challenge! Gentleman

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 02:03:46 PM »

If you post a demo, it would motivate my lazy ass to go to the drawing board.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »

Ok, I gave the falling animation for Quote a try. Long not as smooth as Oracles, but you get the picture. Embarrassed
Possibly I'll add another two frames when I get around to it, so it won't be as rough anymore:

Clemens Scott
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

Ok, I gave the falling animation for Quote a try. Long not as smooth as Oracles, but you get the picture. Embarrassed
Possibly I'll add another two frames when I get around to it, so it won't be as rough anymore:

it only needs touching up around the last couple of frames were he goes from hands in the air to the ground.

DO THE R.O.B!
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

I gave it another try and came up with this:
Still not the best, so if anyone wants to edit it, feel free.
I'm gone for the weekend now.  Gentleman

Clemens Scott
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 02:50:40 AM »

Oooh, that sprite is sweet! Rather fluid and Metal-Slug. They all look so good. Kiss

I have a leeetle problem, though. A knitpick, really. Anyone else think that his face drops down one pixel too much during his walk-cycle? Looks a little jump-y. I'd edit to show you the "problem", but lack a GIF editor. Any good free ones, actually?

I can see this turning out reaally nicely.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic