Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:34:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsManchester Game Jam (LD48 weekend in April)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Manchester Game Jam (LD48 weekend in April)  (Read 13216 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »

It was cool to meet everyone, thanks for organising everything Dan & MCRJam team Grin Unfortunately I missed the second day as I was a bit ill, didn't even finish my LD entry Sad

Would be great to do it again sometime or just some beer sessions, hopefully before the next ludum dare Grin

MCRgamejam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 05:00:32 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did. Smiley

There will definitely be more to come, we reckon some sort of regular social and then jams every few months or something. We'll figure it out somehow. 
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »

I hope this becomes a regular thing. And the guys at MadLab were great hosts.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »

Yup, it was great fun! Cheers to all the organisers. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
MCRgamejam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »

We couldn't have done it without Madlab's help, they're a brilliant asset for the Manchester creative/tech population.

I've stuck a few photos up anyway: http://blog.danhett.com/2012/04/manchester-game-jam-in-photos.html
MCRgamejam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »

Oh and David, I didn't realise you were Mr Hack Slash Loot! I had no idea. Huge fan! Smiley

Probably best I found out after the jam, otherwise I'd have sat next to you asking questions for the whole weekend.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

There's always the next one. Beer! There were a few people at the jam that I too would have liked to have a bit more of chinwag with. That's partly why I hope it becomes a regular gig. Non of my friends are remotely technical so it's a chance to get to know my local peers.

This message was sponsored by Red Bull
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:44:39 AM by Oddball » Logged

Lez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »

Darn, if I still lived in Bolton I'd have been up for this. Bit out of my way now, perhaps next time. Do you have a way for people to follow when the next one is?
MCRgamejam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 04:39:31 AM »

Twitter is your best bet, and this page will probably be a good one to bookmark: madlab.org.uk/content/manchester-gamejam/

I'll always post back here with details too, TiG-gers are one of the groups I always want involved!

We learned a lot from this one, next time we'll be really encouraging people to mix teams: we had one or two people who didn't endup in groups, which was a shame. We're also keen on doing cross-person playtesting too, rather than everyone working in isolation until the presentations. it's a social event, after all!
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:50 AM »

Well mixing it up is peachy for jammers (not including those doing a Ludum Dare), but what about people who wanna' work on their own projects, but who are more than happy to show them along with the jam projects at the end?

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
MCRgamejam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

That's fine too! Smiley

It was more a case of, for example, the students from Salford: they were quite a varied bunch, but utterly refused to break out of their group. Seemed like a shame. It'd be good to have people who want to work in groups break out of their comfort zone a little and mix it up a bit. It would just be a suggestion anyway, we don't mind that much what people do as long as there's nobody left out who wants to be involved really.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »

Oh yeah. It makes a lot of sense with the mini-jams to mix things up.

I'd like to see a more regular general pubby-indie meeting in Manchester, too. Like what people do in other cities. Something that's more of a social with an opportunity to show your wares, too, if you like. Or just chew the fat about indie/games/business. I know it's always fun when I go out with my old bosses, the Pickfords, to one of their Friday-night meetings.

MCRgamejam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »

Yep, that'll be first thing to be nailed down, I think. More likely to be at a laptop/nerd-friendly drinkery as opposed to Madlab (they have no beer, and it's bloody cold in there!)
shezzor
Level 0

Today I'll mostly be doing nothing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »

Put me down for one of those. Especially if its late Summer-ish as I'll probably be busy with work/holiday nonsense before then. Heck I may even have something so show/talk about around that time too Smiley

Shame I missed out on this one though. From the pictures, it seems like it was enjoyed by all.

Remaking retro games for the web
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »

If you're a fan of Red Bull, then you *really* missed out. Wink

Rob Rule
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »

I'd like to see a more regular general pubby-indie meeting in Manchester, too. Like what people do in other cities. Something that's more of a social with an opportunity to show your wares, too, if you like. Or just chew the fat about indie/games/business. I know it's always fun when I go out with my old bosses, the Pickfords, to one of their Friday-night meetings.

Are you referring to the old Brewery Arms, Graham? Wink

Also I'd be up for dropping in on one of these proposed pubby-indie things, as I'm in the area a fair bit.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »

Yeah, meetings is probably over-stating it. Getting pissed in The Staff Of Life (Bury) or one of a choice of venues (Buxton) while talking about video games is more like it. Smiley

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 04:51:02 AM »

Hi everyone!

I think something like this would be great - I've been hobby-indie-developing for years but never really had the chance to network and meet other developers.  I'm around Manchester very frequently (hoping to move there or close by soon as well) and I finish up at uni at the end of the week so I'll have more (read: any) time to pick up where I left off last summer with my projects, so it'd be great to actually show them other developers. 

I see I've missed an event in April, which is a bit gutting but it's been my exam period anyway so even if I knew about it in time I couldn't have really gone Sad  but yeah long story short, it'd be great if there was some kind of regular meet-up around Manc!

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »

Well, I don't think there's any particular need to stand on ceremony. What's a good evening of the week for most peeps in Manchester? No reason we can't rustle up an informal drink at a nice pub. S'no need to even bring stuff to show if it's just a pleasant hullo and chat so we can put faces to interwebnames.

Shall we organise summat for later this month?

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

Totally!  I'd be free all of next week until Saturday (the 12th), and then from the 18th onwards.  Agreed about no need bringing stuff to show, I currently work on a laptop that uses all its battery life just to load windows so unless I have a mains nearby I'm pretty much screwed Tongue

I'd be totally happy to do this before the 12th (ie next week sometime) if anyone else is as eager/has an evening free - it'll be my first week as a graduate, so I'm all up for meeting new faces and starting my next chapter, so to speak!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic