Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:54:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl- The Golden Knight [DONE]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl- The Golden Knight [DONE]  (Read 59684 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 01:26:38 PM »

That's pretty radical.  The right side looks a little wide to me though (his left.)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Great sprite! I just made a small edit to make it a little more balanced:

Corpus
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 02:26:53 AM »

Yeah, the left arm definitely looks much better.

The right arm doesn't quite look right now, though, because you've moved it down but left the outline extending up into the hand, which is confusing. That should be easy to fix if you just get rid of the old outline. His shirt (i.e. not the sleeve) hangs down in front of the arm. Where the white meets the dark grey is the edge of it.

I guess my arm wasn't clear enough in the original. It was meant to be bent back and, since he's facing towards the left, obscured by his body, if that makes it easier to understand what I was going for.

I can't do it right now, but in a couple of hours I'll be able to try what I said (unless someone else wants to).

(Oh, and by the way, by left and right, I mean his left and right.)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »

Hows this thing goin', anyhow?  I've been out of the loop.
medieval
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 07:09:02 AM »

Right now we're doing the most on Naija, Quote and Nikujin
Corpus
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »

I was only going to get a book from Waterstones, but I was out a really long time.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »

Lookin awesome!
Who's doing his 48x48 portrait?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »

Well, I finished all the Knight's attacks except for his Bonesaw Charge and all his bonesaw moves. Now I'm kind of at a dead end because I have absolutely no idea how to do the bonesaw charge. Nightshade, what do you recommend? It seems quite unwieldy to do it in each projectile object individually, but I can't do it in the missile_template because of the positioning of the event_inherited() in the individual projectiles. If you know what I mean. Would it be possible to move the event_inherited() function up a bit so that it triggers before damage is dealt?

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

I have very little idea how the coding works, but would it be possible to set all attacks to have a variable called projectile, and then if an attack hits while doing bonesaw charge do if projectile = 1 then don't do damage? Or something like that.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »

I think what we'll need to do is set a variable 'pow' for each projectile that lists its power. This would be the amount of damage it deals when it hits. You'd need to add a separate bit of code for each projectile so it knows what to do if 'other.bonesaw_charge = 1'.

Increasing the bonesaw meter by doing damage could easily be handled in the collision events for all of the Golden Knight's attacks.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »

OK, I've done the basic framework for the Golden Knight. As with Nikujin, he'll need quite a bit of tweaking but hopefully most of the hard work is done. You can download the exe here, or the editable here.

Some notes:
- most of his attacks are described by Nightshade on the first page of this thread. You need to scroll down a bit to see it.
- the number over his head is his bonesaw charge. It can go above 100, but that's irrelevant because it always gets set back to 100 when he activates bonesaw mode. For your testing edification, the bonesaw charge currently defaults to 95 instead of 0.
- Also for testing purposes, I gave him a crappy modified sprite for when he's absorbing - without it, the absorber is damn near impossible to use. Actually, I still find it pretty hard to use, but I could never get the hang of reflectors in smash bros, either, so we'll just wait and see about that.
-I took the liberty of giving him an extra attack: the aerial spin kick from the original game. I thought it was quite memorable. So your neutral A is a double punch on the ground but a spin kick in the air.
-His down+A is also a little different in the air: it has downward knockback, whereas on the ground it knocks sharply upwards and combos into his up+A or up+S.
-All his bonesaw attacks are unblockable, but the shockwaves and bonesawrang can be reflected or absorbed by another GK. I think it's kind of cool that if you absorb your opponent's bonesawrang, you can get 42 charge points in a single hit.

I think that's all. Please ask questions, give feedback, and start spriting!

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »

I'm not at home this week, but I'll test this as soon as I'm back!
I really wish I had more time right now to do some spriting - you guys are way to fast!  Tongue

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:33 AM »

That was fast! Overall, it looks very good, and most of my quibbles are minor. These are just my reactions  from 10 minutes of playing around.

First, we'll need to make him a larger hitbox (since he's a larger character). Up until now, different hitboxes haven't been necessary, since Naija, Quote and Nikujin are all about the same size. The sprite's center will also need to be adjusted so that his feet don't go through the platforms.

GK jumps incredibly high. Together with his ^S, he's got incredible jumping power. It might be a bit too much (the stats in the first post were written before the gravity was reduced).

Double Punch looks good. It might be a bit more forceful if the first hit had a little knockback and GK had a little forward momentum, but that's mostly cosmetic.

The kick looks great. It felt about right. Same with the uppercut. The uppercut might be a little lacking as a recovery move, though.

vA would look more forceful in the air if GK had some downward momentum. There probably ought to be some horizontal knockback with both versions of the attack.

The stick throw should probably go through enemies instead of disappearing when it hits them (and  it would be closer to the original game). It ought to cause some knockback (potentially pulling enemies towards you when it comes back). When it returns, it should auto-aim back to you, and it should disappear when it hits you.

>S and ^S seem like they take too long to execute. They interrupt the character's flow.

Bonesaw Charge would be easier to use if it lasted until you released the button (like guarding).

The bonesaw moves are all great. But the bonesaw meter should probably not deplete so quickly. It would be too easy to avoid a slow character like the Golden Knight for a few seconds. Either that, or he should be able to charge the bonesaw while in bonesaw mode to extend the duration.

EDIT: The bonesaw pulse should probably move through enemies.

EDIT2: I found a glitch. Drift isn't set back to 0 when using ^S. This makes it possible to rocket around the stage with >A.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:31:47 PM by Nightshade » Logged

undertech
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »

Ambulation:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:09:04 AM by undertech » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »

Nice, but it makes him look kind of top-heavy. If his arms/head had some movement it would probably be better.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »

Also, it looks like he's walking. Casually. I would say have him throw his head forward a bit while he runs so that it actually looks like he's charging.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »

Why didn't you use Nightshade's updated version of the sprite? :\
undertech
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

Ambulation II:

-Cut down to 4 frames for manageability of modifications
-Head and arms move
-Used the updated sprite as the base

III:

-Cleaned it up a bit

It seems really jittery to me still, as though the arms were not in sync with the legs. I think this needs 8 frames to be cured. Would you agree?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:42:08 AM by undertech » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

-Cleaned it up a bit

Great job  Kiss! Very natural movement on the left arm.

What about his right arm, though? It's alright when he's idling, but when walking, it looks like his right hand is permanently glued to his chin.May be have it move up and down a bit more?

EDIT: as for the sync, the legs on were actually quite good
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:55:10 AM by godsavant » Logged
undertech
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »

Right, but that one had 8 frames, so I take it that you're leaning towards adding frames to solving the sync issue. Makes sense.
When I was making this update, I started with the arms first. Then I noticed that I haven't moved the head. So it turns out inadvertently I made the head move in sync with the right arm. I'll try to figure something out...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic