Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:58:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSacred are the Fish
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sacred are the Fish  (Read 923 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »

Sacred are the Fish is a peaceful zen puzzle game, where you slowly drift pieces into place to make elaborate chains and structures, without popping the air bubbles on them.

In the first level, you have unlimited pieces to place and need only worry about preserving the air bubbles.

You control the pieces by touching anywhere on the screen to guide them left and right, or directly on the piece to rotate it.

At the end of the level, the zen of your structure is graded - I am working on elegant ways to explain this, but essentially:

• Any piece that touches the ground is worth 0 zen, no matter what.
  • Pieces receive 1 point of zen for each previous piece in the chain down to the ground. (listed as 'p' in the screenshot)
  • Pieces receive 5 points of zen for each piece of the same color previous to it. (listed as 'c' in the screenshot)
  • Any piece that has more than one 'child' (pieces you've attached after it is placed) will receive a branch bonus of +10 zen for each piece beyond the first.  (listed as 'b' in the screenshot)

so essentially:
p = parents.
c = chain
b = branch
for the bonuses.

Later levels introduce limited pieces, where you receive a set number of each colour. You must build nicely chained and branched structures while maintaining enough air bubbles to pass the level.

Failure (using all your pieces without satisfying the air bubble requirements) will kill your fish and you must restart the level.

In some levels, you will receive wild card pieces that will become the colour of whichever piece they touch..

That's what I've got coded so far. Other ideas I've been playing with, but haven't found a good way to implement them:

• Bad fish (eels, crabs, something) that pop your bubbles
  • Structures that sink or crumble
  • 'Feng Shui' mode where you must allocate colours to certain regions of the screen

That's where I'm at so far. The plan is to release this for iOS and possibly Android. Comments, suggestions very much appreciated.
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

looks cool  Smiley
I like the art  Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »

thanks!

I'm currently playing around with different fishie ideas.

flash GIF exporter isn't the nicest so here's the swfs:

http://wegetsignal.ca/temp/fishies.swf and http://wegetsignal.ca/temp/angryseahorse.swf
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »

I kind of like the blue one and the jellyfish.  Are you going to make those animations smoother in-game?
wademcgillis
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Right
Seahorse looks like it's letting out a big toot.
 Big Laff

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »

I kind of like the blue one and the jellyfish.  Are you going to make those animations smoother in-game?

mayyybe a little. they're background items, although I've been toying with turning this into an aquarium with the 'game' just being a mini game, a la mario paint.

i'm not a very good artist, let alone a good animator, but i'm trying to do what i can. probably i'll release this free as a learning experience for me.

@wade er.. yeah. he's meant to look angry, maybe not farty.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic