Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:01:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Nikujin [DONE]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Nikujin [DONE]  (Read 90083 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »

Amazing. I wish I could animate hands like that.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 04:50:01 PM »

I love the shine on the sword in the new one Smiley.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 12:13:35 AM »

Just a little thing, I'm wondering about the name. Naked Ninja sounds so clunky, which is why I usually refer to him as 'Nikujin'. If there's anyone here who knows Japanese, even a little bit: Does the name 'Nikujin' refer to the ninja himself? If so I would prefer to call him this.

Also I hope to start coding this guy soon, so if you have any major objections to the movelist, now's the time to say so. Is it alright to give him weapons previously used by his enemies? Will the wall-run attack (face-run) look too silly?

Corpus
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 05:25:11 AM »

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the movelist, so I can't comment on that.

I would say, however, that the sprite's outline seems to be noticeably darker than the other characters' outlines. Other than that, though, it's awesome. Cave Story
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »

Also I hope to start coding this guy soon, so if you have any major objections to the movelist, now's the time to say so. Is it alright to give him weapons previously used by his enemies? Will the wall-run attack (face-run) look too silly?
I think his move list is great. And since his enemies look exactly like him, it wouldn't seem odd for him to use their weapons.

If you're going to program the character, you should be able to keep all the code in the finish_creation(), action(), and various step() scripts. That way, it will be simple to add his code to the master file.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »

I would say, however, that the sprite's outline seems to be noticeably darker than the other characters' outlines. Other than that, though, it's awesome. Cave Story
I thought I recalled nightshade requesting it to be so? That is, darker outlines in general.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »

Shoot Xion, you are pumping out pure amazing here. A tip of the hat to you sir. Gentleman
Corpus
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

Oh, right. I like the current shade, personally.
Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »

mayby you should take away the highlights on the skin....i would like to see how it looks if you do that...

DO THE R.O.B!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »

I agree with Mr. moo on this one. I couldn't really work out what I didn't like about the sprite, but I think it could be the highlights. They look kind of... knobbly.

Mr.moo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:29 AM »

i dont mind the hood its just the skins so shiny, but the sword and hood highlights should stay....

DO THE R.O.B!
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 12:45:52 AM »

I thought I might contribute a little sumthin.
I know it's not as professional looking as the stuff from some other people here, but I enjoyed the making and need to get better with pixel art anyway.

So here ya go:

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:17 AM »

It looks pretty good to me, Kovski.  Grin

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »

Agreed. Those look great.

medieval
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »

Sure do Beer!

And it's nice to see such humility for such brilliance.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »

This is great, but it'd be fucking hilarious to see a wang flopping around while fighting. But hey, I understand why you wouldn't want that  :D
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »

This is great, but it'd be fucking hilarious to see a wang flopping around while fighting. But hey, I understand why you wouldn't want that  :D
That's what the nose is for Wink

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 01:25:24 AM »

Thanks, glad you like it!
And yeah, I imagined the nose to be flopping around while jumping and fighting too, kind of as a compensation for..well, you know.. Wink

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

I've programmed two of Nikujin's attacks so far. This isn't so hard after all!  Grin  I'm not sure how I'll do the rapidfire combos like the wallrun attack. Nightshade, do you think it would work if I set the argument for attack_aim significantly lower than the actual duration of the attack? Like if the attack went for 30 frames but the argument went for 5 frames, it could hit an enemy 6 times, right?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »

That's correct. That's what I did for Naija's whirlpool.

However, for a rapidfire combo, I'd recommend making a bunch of separate attacks, each one lasting for only two steps. That way, the graphics and gameplay will be synched together better.

To make things easier, I'd utilize the character-specific variable char_var1. Rather than creating a separate step for each attack, have it repeat the same step over and over again, as long as char_var1 is below a certain value (such as 6). Then, each time he attacks, add 1 to char_var1. Just make sure you reset char_var1 to 0 at the end of the attack.

If you want the rapidfire attack to require user input to be used, that's easy enough to do. Just add an if statement like this:
if( next >= 3 && next <= 6)

That means that the attack will only execute if the player's pressed the attack button since making the last attack. Obviously, you'll also need an else statement to finish the attack.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic