Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:54:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMost influential games of all time
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Most influential games of all time  (Read 12068 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:53:10 PM »

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/international/games/features/110028.shtml

I think we can all agree that the list presented above is a complete and utter travesty, as far as "most important games of all time" lists (and oh yeah, why not.. COMMON SENSE!) go.

That said, what are your top 5?
(i'm sure we're all way too busy making future entries for this list to sit here and come up with 50, but if you're overpowered by procrastination maybe you can do 10?)

Now, "important" is not the same as "best", which is a pretty dubious adjective anyhow, so we should probably define what "important" is as related to games
I would have to say that it would mean "influentual", which would have to be the combination of the following factors: general cultural influence, gaming culture influence and influence on future game development. Not an easy equation by any means.

Anyway... my choices... let me show you them!

(Had to fight the impulse to just list my top 5 FAVORITE games, which these aren't)

1. Super Mario Brothers (a cultural icon and a template for a bajillion games to come)
2. Doom (your mom has probably heard of it and a template for a bajillion games to come)
3. Tetris
4. Street Fighter 2
5. Quake (though it was probably more because of the internets)

EDIT: Haha, I totally didn't read their intro to the list, so I think I said something similar to them. But I still totally don't agree with any of their choices!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 07:00:48 PM by toastie » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:00:07 PM »

K here goes:

1 - Super Mario 64
2 - DooM
3 - Ultima Online
4 - Final Fantasy
5 - Dune II

Honorable Mention: Prince of Persia

I don't like Ultima much, and FF and Dune II are a bit hard for me (i'm a sissy that way) but I think these 5 or 6 games pretty much set the rules for modern gaming as it stands.

cup full of magic charisma
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:02:34 PM »

Games are dumb.  Only dumb people play games.  Dummy face.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »

Oh, god... GTAIII as the most important game of all time?  Madden as number 2!  I thought it wasn't a sales contest. Cry

Oh wait, it's GamePro. :D

Alright, here's my list that I'm putting very little thought into:

1. Super Mario Bros. (just... damn)
2. Tetris (mainstream success, puzzle gaming, clonage)
3. Doom (3d gaming, internets, controversy)
4. Ultima (RPGs)
5. The Legend of Zelda (less obvious, but it basically influenced every fantasy / exploration style game that came after it, I think)
6. Sim City (simulation gaming)
7. Pac Man(arcade)
8. Warcraft (basically the beginning of Blizzard and their empire and all that it influences... more important than Dune II because no one has heard of Dune II)
9. Street Fighter 2 (fighting games)
10. Tim W.'s Enormous Balls (indie gaming, natch)
Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »

Yeah, I was enraged by that chart too Smiley. Here's my list (the order is probably random).

1. Tetris -- Let's face it: WHICH game is known by virtualy everyone, and available on EACH machine?
2. Pong -- with Tetris the father of all games
3. Another World -- first cinematic game, before PC's could even play movies Tongue
4. Super Mario Bros -- first "cult" game, and the symbol of the birth of the Console era
5. Wolfenstein 3D -- the father of the FPS genre
6. Dune II -- although less popular than Warcraft, but it IS more influential, isn't it?
7. SimCity -- also a mile-mark in game evo.
8. Doom -- although Wolfenstein is already on the list, I'd dare to say that Doom was the gateway to modern PC gaming
9. Ultima Online -- the grandfather of graphical MUDs (yeah, WoW is nothing more than a MUD with fancy graphics Tongue)
10. Elite -- The fallen example of the path of evolution where games SHOULD head... (could not resist).

P.S. 11. Rogue -- where would cRPGs go without Rogue? ;]

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:40:58 PM »

1. Final Fantasy 6
2. Final Fantasy 6
3. Final Fantasy 6
4. Final Fantasy 6
5. Final Fantasy 6
6. Final Fantasy 6
7. Final Fantasy 6
8. Final Fantasy 6
9. Final Fantasy 6

and

10. Final Fantasy 6

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »

I think some people are confusing this "most influential" list with "my favourite" ^_^. If it would be the latter, my list would be a lot shorter Tongue :

1. Elite/Frontier
2. UFO: Enemy Unknown

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »

Just a few off the top of my head...

Kung Fu Master - scrolling beatemups
Karate Champ - 1-on-1 fighters
Prince of Persia - ledge hangers
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:16 PM »

Elite, System Shock, Ultima, Rogue, Doom, I'd have to say. Probably lots more.

pyabo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 11:00:27 PM »

If you don't list Super Mario Bros in top 5 of most INFLUENTIAL games of all time... well, you just weren't paying attention for the last 20 years.

The others I think made the biggest impact on future games:
Zelda
Final Fantasy
Gradius  (!)
Metroid (?)
Tecmo Bowl

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 12:57:33 AM »

Everyone seems to be forgetting Space Invaders

Which is ironic, because invaders from space will most likely lead to our extinction.  Cool

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:56:23 AM »

Any game that solidified a genre: Pitfall / Super Mario Bros. for platformers, Ultima / Dragon Warrior for RPGs, Wolfenstein / Doom for FPSs, Dune 2 / Warcraft for RTSs, Bejeweled for match-3's... basically, if a game has a million clones, it's influential.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 06:20:39 AM »

in no particular order

-super mario bros, no comment.
-the legend of zelda, for pretty much inventing exploration.
-Half-life 2, for being the first game to do physics right.
-tetris, for makinf the whole world believe that falling blocks are a puzzle.
-Rez, for having been like 20 years ahead of its time. its influence will be felt later. also for having been bundled with a USB dildo.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:52 AM »

If you don't list Super Mario Bros in top 5 of most INFLUENTIAL games of all time... well, you just weren't paying attention for the last 20 years.
Actually I don't think it really was that influential outside of Japan and the US. I never even knew anyone with an NES when I was growing up; it was all C64s, and later, Amigas and Sega Megadrives. Most of the games I played as a kid (barring Arcade games) were from the UK or Europe, and were far less Nintendo-tinged.

With this in mind, I don't think I could even begin to assess what the most influential games of all time might be, or whether that would even be particularly relevant or interesting.

How about the games that have been the biggest influence on you personally? Again, this wouldn't be a list of your favourite games, but rather the ones that really shook you up and changed the way you think.

I'd post mine, but I'll have to have a think about it first, and it's bedtime now.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »

I dunno, I grew up in Russia and SMB was an icon there. We didn't have proper NES, but we had a zillion famicom clones.

Dendy Junior, anyone?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 08:15:16 AM »

-Half-life 2, for being the first game to do physics right.

The havoc physics engine was used in Max Payne 2 first, although it admittedly wasn't as involved in the gameplay as in HL2.  Just more of a "shit, i totally bumped that box!"

Also, I don't think you can put Doom and Quake on the same list, as much as we all might want to.  It's redundant.  I guess I could let QuakeWorld slide though.

We can all agree on Tetris.  My mom wouldn't give me back my gameboy for weeks when she discovered it.

I like Warcraft over Dune 2, but it's arguable.  For the same reason I'll promote Privateer over Elite.  Realistic physics and pioneering genres are nice, but popularity and general awesomeness triumph in terms of influence.

Some to think about:
Pole Position
Railroad Tycoon
Tron (yes the movie)
Monkey Island

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 09:47:20 AM »

Games that were most influential on me personally,

Ms Pac Man - Made me like playing videogames, about 1983.
Zelda 1 - Made me addicted to videogames, about 1987.
Civilization - Got me interested in world history, about 1994.
Persona 1 - Strong positive effect on my worldview, about 1996.
Xenogears - Got me to decide to become a game developer (I made games before, but not as seriously) because it convinced me games are important, about 1998.
Sword of Jade - This is a game by two friends of mine, it influenced my game design philosophy, about 2005.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »

You can have a list of games that represent, to you, important steps in evolutions of gameplay. That list will be relevant for a couple years. A proper jump into 3D with Super Mario 64. A great story told with Final Fantasy 3.

But if you model the important steps in games after important steps in other realms of art you can get something along the lines of:

1. SpaceWar or Pong or whatever you want to call the first videogame
2. PacMan
3. Super Mario Bros
4. Rez
5. World of Warcraft (or AOL Instant Messenger [or MySpace])

First is the beginning: the idea. Like cave drawings. Second is the adventure: the story. Gothic architecture. Third is creating the context. Renaissance. The fourth is breaking the context down. Mannerism. And the fifth is something new. It's a reconstruction of the context using only what the media itself can do. Modernism, maybe. Maybe post-modernism. Who knows, really?

I'd like to think that games represent high art in a very mainstream way, but that's just me.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »

I like to think that games represent fun, without feeling the need to prove themselves to all of the stuffy suits and artistes of the world who would deign to judge them.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »

1. Combat

My first home video game. We played this hours on end and a big reason I got into gaming

2. Metroid / Megaman I (tie)
My first foray into side scrollers. Never really liked SMB as a kid and the open, non-linear aspect of Metroid and MM absolutely hooked me. That and the music, incredible, catchy songs that I still enjoy today

3. Wing Commander
One of my favorite games ever and a huge inspiration for my indie game hopes. WC was the reason I bought a PC and the reason I can still write an awesome config.sys file. Corny and fun as hell, enjoyed every second of it (even tho I mostly sucked)

4. Sports Games (NHL 93, Ice Hockey, Hardball, TV Sports Basketball, Front Page Football)

In my teen, jock years all I played was sports games. In fact, the very first game I ever attempted to program was a text-based basketball game. The NHL series is timeless and a perfect multiplayer game. TV Sports Basketball introduced me to the odds and ends of HEX editing game files and making everyone on my team awesome. The true golden age of sports games, when gameplay mattered most and EA was still small time.

5. Need For Speed 3 / F-Zero (tie)
I love, love arcade racers and these two are the penultimate for me. Perfect mix of challenge and control. Both allowed you to be creative and reactive rather than memorizing lines and still enjoy the game. And again, awesome soundtracks.

Not surprisingly, every game I've ever started to develop fits in that top 5. There's plenty more but I think this kinda encapsulates it for me in terms of influence.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic