Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:33:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsYou Have to Win the Game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: You Have to Win the Game  (Read 44269 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »

Aw man, I didn't even think about how different keyboard layouts would affect that.  Embarrassed

Out of curiosity, what layout are you using, and which characters are you unable to type into the console?

I use the Swedish QWERTY layout, picture of which can be seen here: http://encycl.opentopia.com/enimages/1707/1706004/Keyboard_Layout_Swedish.png . The problem is with the symbol ~, because it's accessed with Alt Gr in my layout and I have no idea how it's typed in yours. I tried every button with and without shift, and no luck.

However, I'd imagine it'd be possible to make the text field use the same layout as the player?

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »

Aw man, I didn't even think about how different keyboard layouts would affect that.  Embarrassed

Out of curiosity, what layout are you using, and which characters are you unable to type into the console?

I use the Swedish QWERTY layout, picture of which can be seen here: http://encycl.opentopia.com/enimages/1707/1706004/Keyboard_Layout_Swedish.png . The problem is with the symbol ~, because it's accessed with Alt Gr in my layout and I have no idea how it's typed in yours. I tried every button with and without shift, and no luck.

However, I'd imagine it'd be possible to make the text field use the same layout as the player?

Ah, I see. I think it should still be solvable, then. If you don't mind possible spoilers, here are a couple hints...

Hint 1: You don't have to type ~ into the console. That's just the key that brings down the console on a US keyboard.

Hint 2: The word you have to type into the console is written on the wall in one of the rooms.

Hint 3: You have to be in a certain room when you type the word into the console. The name of the room should provide a clue.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »

Ah, I see. I think it should still be solvable, then. If you don't mind possible spoilers, here are a couple hints...

Hint 1: You don't have to type ~ into the console. That's just the key that brings down the console on a US keyboard.

Hint 2: The word you have to type into the console is written on the wall in one of the rooms.

Hint 3: You have to be in a certain room when you type the word into the console. The name of the room should provide a clue.

Ah, thanks! That first hint explains a lot and nullifies my earlier complaint. The magic symbol on my computer is §, then. I assume the word is ARC and the room is the one with "what is the magic word?". Problem is, the name of that room was "Arcane" and then something, which'd be a bit of a letaway, so maybe it's not the correct room anyway. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Et In Aether Ego didn't work, either Sad

EDIT EDIT: hahah, I found the level editor  Tongue! Still no magic word, though.

Edit: by the by, is it case sensitive?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:53:53 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »

I thought the room was pretty obvious myself.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »

Edit: by the by, is it case sensitive?
Nope, triple-checked that one before uploading the game.  Wink

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

D'oh! I recalled that the final room came straight after "the point of no return" and thus didn't sare to check. 100%

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »

I think I'll give this game a go, I might learn something.

Edit:
Wow, the forced CRT perspective actually is really irritating.  Maybe being able to turn it off in the options would be a good idea. :O
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:31:02 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »

Finally finished with 100%. Been awhile since I've played a game all the way through so feels good. Looking forward to whatever project you start next Gentleman

bloodybadger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »

Loved the work, but I got stuck at 99% and I wonder if I missed a tricky part or something because I'm still unable to find that last bit no matter how much I search.

Anyway, while I liked the idea about typing the secret word, it's easy to find it too "out of the box" for some players, leading to frustration; that thing about the keyboard layouts just make it harder. I mean, I guess when it works and comes naturally from the player it works wonders and cleverly makes her think as a genious, but when it doesn't, or just comes not in the right place, or you simply can't find the secret symbol on your keyboard properly, that magic fades and she throws away that uncommon idea about typing something to win the game. That happened to me and thanks to this topic I was able to win the game.

But I really enjoyed the experience, so thank you!! Oh, one last thing, even though I like the CRT perspective some of my friends found it disturbing, so maybe, as some other people have said, being able to turn it off would be well received Smiley.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »

Wow, what a great game. Thank you for this! I played around with the magic symbol for a little bit before I realized that it was actually necessary for the game. I thought it was just an easter egg to access the debug console. Also a word of advice! "end" is not the magic word! It exits the game.
TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »

Hey, just beat the game!  First time I got 82% and lost, but just got 100%.  Smiley

I really enjoyed it apart from one issue I had with the keyboard and the puzzle.  I was running the game through Parallels on OS X and the ~ key didn't bring up the console.  I tried hitting the key after I saw the clue but since it didn't do anything I was stuck for a while.  I had to look at your hints to figure out it was an issue rather than me not figuring things out.  After that, I put the game on my work computer and was able to finish.  I liked how cryptic things were, though.  Hopefully you can get the keyboard issues worked out so it works well for everyone.

The controls were great.  Very responsive and the physics felt really good.  Some hitboxes seemed a little big, but not really a problem since there's frequent checkpoints.

The graphics were awesome, loved the CRT display.  I played some CGA games back in the day and it was fun to see that style again.  Only gripe is I think it would have been cooler to have the menus integrated into the CGA game experience.

I agree with most of the minor stuff that's been brought up too:
-The hard to see collectibles should be more visible.
-The CRT effect is really cool, but it should be an option.

Awesome game overall though!  If you have an update to the keyboard code, I'll try it out on Parallels again.
wademcgillis
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

Both of my 2.4 ghz cores are almost maxed out when I run this game.

Epileptic  Big Laff
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »

You win this round Pirate Hearts, what with your "Don't be Hasty" room.  Angry
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »

I love this game. I haven't won the game yet, so why am on these forums instead of in the game getting those precious dollar dollar bags??

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »

http://www.piratehearts.com/blog/2012/05/20/three-things/

Just patched the game to version 1.01. In addition to a handful of minor bug fixes and tweaks, I added some options for adjusting or completely disabling the CRT effect. I also assembled a spoilerific world map:

And I finally got around to parsing the anonymous stat tracking data from the first two weeks. See the blog post for highlights.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »

Nice to see the full world map and update. Are you planning on any more updates or are you now done with the game?

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:59 AM »

As far as bug fixes go, there are still a number of known bugs that I'd like to patch out, but unfortunately most of them are DirectX initialization crashes, and I can't reproduce them without the proper hardware. (And even if I could, the only practical solution might be to fail gracefully, depending on the severity of the issue.)

I have a number of pie-in-the-sky ideas for additional features (localization, new campaigns, editor, etc.), but I don't know if I'll get around to implementing any of them. For all practical purposes, the game is done.

hrk
Level 0

drumsoft.com

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »

Great game! I love the CRT effect and stage graphics.

I got 96%, but I cannot finish the game, because I cannot bring up 'console'. I'm playing with Japanese keyboard (and Japanese Version of Windows XP). the matters are similar to these complained by TriStarch and Hempuli‽.

It seems that the key to bring up console is assigned to '0x35 Keyboard Grave Accent and Tilde' in '10 Keyboard/Keypad Page (0x07)' from 'Universal Serial Bus HID Usage Tables' (http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_11.pdf). The key is not exists on Japanese keyboard. The code '0x35' for the key is assigned as "Japanese input method on/off toggle button". So, pressing the key is absorbed by OS (or Drivers?) and never reach the application.

Please make 'console' key customizable. All Japanese players are waiting it.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »

I can't guarantee it will work, but this is the key that corresponds to tilde on an English keyboard. I believe DirectInput maps to physical keys as opposed to functional keys, so whatever key is in that location should toggle the console regardless of layout.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 01:36:17 PM »

Playing this game makes me wonder if I should switch my map format from 16x16 tiles to 8x8 haha
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic