Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:30:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Spriting Everything
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Spriting Everything  (Read 4506 times)
Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »

I've never thought of a tablet and pixel art at the same time, and I actually can't imagine a tablet being very advantageous considering pixel art can be as precise as you want with a mouse and the zoom tool, but if you really think so I'll listen as to why. I know you've put some great stuff on PixelJoint so glad you like the videos.
Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »

As someone who pixels and has a tablet I don't think matters whether you use one or not. I find myself lazying out a lot and not plugging it in and just doing it with my mouse. Really the only thing that gets me to plug it in is if I do a bigger piece or a digital painting which I'll admit it's quite nice for those. But, even then I really never feel I need it when working with pixels It's just kinda nice sometimes. The only time I feel I need it is doing digital paintings.

Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

Spriting Everything 9 - Artichoke, Sandwich
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »

I've never thought of a tablet and pixel art at the same time, and I actually can't imagine a tablet being very advantageous considering pixel art can be as precise as you want with a mouse and the zoom tool, but if you really think so I'll listen as to why. I know you've put some great stuff on PixelJoint so glad you like the videos.

A tablet can help. As I was beginning to do pixel art, I always used the mouse and grew to love it. However, while pixel art is "precise", you still should take a grasp on blocking out shapes and shading prior to being precise to get better results. I found it suitable to draw out my pixels with the tablet first, then afterwards I will clean the shape and work from there with the mouse. (I just use the tablet now though, I can't use a mouse good anymore!)

Try going a bit bigger with your work and focus on the details (Such as shadow, texture, color...) using reference to help you study correctly. While pixeling from you mind is good, it is always best to know how things work prior to working on them.

Keep up the good work, also thanks for the compliment!

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »

I would sprite bigger but I'm trying to keep things in aspect ratio with the other objects, which I started with small should I ever end up putting these in a game.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »

I use a tablet for sketches and large pieces, but when it comes to dither, AA among other pixel techniques I find myself right back on the mouse.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »

This one ended up being more like a podcast where not much got done, so you might only want to watch if you enjoy the commentary.

Spriting Everything 11 - Tomfoolery
Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »

With guest Ruben.

Spriting Everything 12 - Egg, Cheese, Spaghetti
alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »

A tablet can help. As I was beginning to do pixel art, I always used the mouse and grew to love it. However, while pixel art is "precise", you still should take a grasp on blocking out shapes and shading prior to being precise to get better results. I found it suitable to draw out my pixels with the tablet first, then afterwards I will clean the shape and work from there with the mouse. (I just use the tablet now though, I can't use a mouse good anymore!)

Try going a bit bigger with your work and focus on the details (Such as shadow, texture, color...) using reference to help you study correctly. While pixeling from you mind is good, it is always best to know how things work prior to working on them.

Keep up the good work, also thanks for the compliment!

Hi delicious Smiley
I have to say that you are wrong, I have been using mouse ever since I started doing pixel art, and now I'm really comfortable and fast with it, in fact I draw/ write better with a mouse than on paper/ tablet. I tried to switch to a tablet but I drew badly so I switched back to mouse. You see its a matter of taste! The reason for Blob not drawing as fast as I am is not because he uses a mouse but lack of practice. (sorry Blob, you draw REALLY slow!)
Although I'm no pixel art master I believe my word still counts...

Blob you should try to stop being so precise in the beginning but rather in the end. And register at pixel joint and post your stuff in the WIP forum for critique.
Sorry for my grammatical mistakes (I'm really tired)

Follow me on twitter @alexolsenpang
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »

I think it's subjective. I've never had any wrist problems using a mouse, but I have when writing. My writing and hand drawings are also abnormally sloppy. I honestly don't think I would be better off with a tablet. Use whatever works for you.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »

I think it's subjective. I've never had any wrist problems using a mouse, but I have when writing. My writing and hand drawings are also abnormally sloppy. I honestly don't think I would be better off with a tablet. Use whatever works for you.
If you've never tried using a tablet, then assuming it won't work for you is not very smart. In order to figure out what works for you. You. Have. To. Try. Everything. If you are a hobbyist and are just making graphics for game prototypes, well then a mouse is fine. But for people who are trying to get good at art and who want to practice regularly, then trying out all the available tools is mandatory.
I've tried drawing on paper and I've tried drawing on my iPad, both of which always produce sloppy results. I don't think assuming that a tablet won't be any different is a very wild and unsupported guess. However, I do think declaring that tablets are definitively better for everyone is a little silly.

Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

Week 2 Compilation

Blob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »

13, I go particularly slow in these next few.

Spriting Everything 13 - Fish, Cake
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »

Nice stuff, keep it up. Quite a sweet task.

Also, sorry for going off-topic (I guess it kinda counts as on topic though because it spread from a responsive post...?) -

If you've never tried using a tablet, then assuming it won't work for you is not very smart. In order to figure out what works for you. You. Have. To. Try. Everything. If you are a hobbyist and are just making graphics for game prototypes, well then a mouse is fine. But for people who are trying to get good at art and who want to practice regularly, then trying out all the available tools is mandatory.
I've tried drawing on paper and I've tried drawing on my iPad, both of which always produce sloppy results. I don't think assuming that a tablet won't be any different is a very wild and unsupported guess. However, I do think declaring that tablets are definitively better for everyone is a little silly.

So... You don't traditionally draw? Then of course you'll be more dominant with a mouse because you probably have trouble holding still to produce solid lines without the precision of a mouse. Honestly, my suggestion for Blob getting the tablet is only because I assume he has prior pencil/paper experience - Most pixel artists do. If you become good at a tablet, it benefits because you'll be able to produce quality work much quicker and better than possible with a mouse. Mouse is quite limiting in comparison, regardless of what you're used to.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
vlaube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 01:11:02 AM »

This reminds me of the Noun Project.

Finished: Working on:
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic