Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:23:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesS.T.A.C.K.E.R. [FINISHED] [v1.1]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: S.T.A.C.K.E.R. [FINISHED] [v1.1]  (Read 137701 times)
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »

I think it looks really cool. I like the abstraction and RPG-esque approach.
I'm probably definitely a total nerd for saying this but this game actually got immersion.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

Easily the strangest take on a demake I've seen. Brilliant idea - not that I've seen all the odd little cult classics over the years, but I've never seen it done before. I mean sure, you've got the tetris bit - but combining it with inventory management? Nice.

The Anomalous Artifacts sound like a pretty great idea, too. I mean, I'm already impressed by the PSY effects, so, adding some weird bonuses would be more than welcome.

Keep it coming!

EDIT: I'm sure this would take time, so I guess it's a post-compo suggestion. I'd love to see a little in-world window in the game which changes with area and activity - a graphical one. So, say, it'd have a little sprite of your STACKER in the Camp, or the Wastleands, or the Checkpoint (by the by, checkpoint is awesome) - maybe even responding to items in-game. Just musing here, but it'd be sweet, I think.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:54:26 PM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 02:57:47 AM »

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm sure this would take time, so I guess it's a post-compo suggestion. I'd love to see a little in-world window in the game which changes with area and activity - a graphical one. So, say, it'd have a little sprite of your STACKER in the Camp, or the Wastleands, or the Checkpoint (by the by, checkpoint is awesome) - maybe even responding to items in-game. Just musing here, but it'd be sweet, I think.
My original plan was to have an overworld map. You could choose which path you wanted to follow on it, or if you wanted to, say, stop and search for stashes. This is meant to capture some of the open-world feeling of Stalker. Then your journey or your search would play out as a Tetris-style level. I don't know how much of this is going to get into the game now. Probably a map for each level (if I manage to do more than one level), and maybe a window in the main interface showing your location on the map. I'm worried that a sprite of your Stacker doing stuff would be going a bit too far, and might look like the game was apologizing for being Tetris rather than something character-actiony.

Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 03:37:01 AM »

Gentleman hats off.

This is a really intriguing game and I'm a real sucker AK 47s.  I think TIGSource should have a compo where the theme is just AK47s

If you look at this site you might be able to find some music you can use
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/resources
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »

I've put in the front end, which was a chore. No art or anything for it yet. As light relief I played around more with getting it to look like a TV screen. I've tweaked some things in level 1 and now it feels fairly playable. The other levels are still placeholders. I updated the demo and screenshot in the first post.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 05:46:57 PM »

an unexpected error occurred when running the game. It said:

"An unexpected error occurred when running the game."

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 05:52:08 PM »

Very fun. Tying Tetris to Diabloesque inventory systems is utterly brilliant. I love how you managed to turn such a familiar gameplay on its head by making the player think whether he wants to clear lines or save individual pieces. Can't wait to see the next version.

Grif
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »

Irony: this demake requires a better graphics card than my laptop has.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 10:49:46 PM »

Oh dear  Sad.

If the game starts at all, how far does it get? And what sort of graphics cards are we talking here? I would be very grateful for any help.  Gentleman

Here is a version without the heinous TV-style splitting-into-three-colours-and-blurring effect. I hope it gets at least as far as the main menu:

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 05:09:59 AM »

Did anyone try the new version, who had problems with the previous version?

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 05:30:23 AM »

I've been holding off on playing this so far even though the concept is intriguing (or perhaps because of that and I didn't want to spoil it for me until it's done), but I just tried it, works just fine for me here.

One thing that really bugs me though is the controls. I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have brought this up so far, so maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason you don't use the standard Tetris controls where the up arrow rotates and left/right arrows move? It seemed to me that I had to use my left hand on A/D for moving and my right hand for rotating, and I keep confusing which hand does what.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 11:56:41 AM »

One thing that really bugs me though is the controls. I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have brought this up so far, so maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason you don't use the standard Tetris controls where the up arrow rotates and left/right arrows move? It seemed to me that I had to use my left hand on A/D for moving and my right hand for rotating, and I keep confusing which hand does what.
Thanks, I had been meaning to ask for feedback about the controls. I couldn't remember what the normal Tetris controls were and the things I tried all felt equally strange, initially. I think I'll move it to what you say, but maybe leave Z and X as alternative keys for rotating.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »

Well Pishtaco, how's this all going? You can't just give us an awesome demo and vanish. :D And the compo is a week out from completion.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 03:02:34 AM »

There will be something for the competition. I moved to a new apartment on Sunday, so things are kind of in flux right now. But I'm hoping that with the extension I will be able to do two more levels.

I got passable front end and high score screens done at the end of last week. Unfortunately, since then when I've tried to work on it I end up playing through level one again and worrying about balance. I've done this enough times that I'm a bit burned out on it and can't see the charm any more - I hope this is me rather than the game. Anyway, level two will need some new technical things so hopefully getting on to that will get me going again.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 03:45:40 AM »

God Speed, Good Sir!

Uh, also, I think the current 45 line limit is a biit of a killer. Unless I'm just crap at it. I can only make it to around 30 - though that's due to another little problem, which is over responsive controls. Sometimes, the blocks just don't want to sit still. Veer left and right, like a wild bronco they do.

I'd also like to provide Moral Support (the free-est kind of support) by assuring you that the game itself has not lost any of its charms. To me. I still love it. And the promise of "new technical things" is rather exciting.

Gentleman
thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »

tried it!

looks very awsome, however i found the controls to be the opposite of what i expected!

To me it would feel more natural to move the black around with the arrow keys and spin it with A / D

otherwise awsome.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26:53 AM »

Got the 45 lines!

And was instantly rebuffed by the 20,000 point minimum score. I had ~9,500. Now that's just crazy.

I was iffy about a & s controls at the start, but it grew on me fast. Makes sense now. Just need to learn. Still bothered by the fact that sometimes items just slide around.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 07:19:04 AM »

I've changed the controls to use up to rotate, and left and right to move, as suggested above. This feels better (now that I'm used to it), and with return to flip the inventory as well it means you can do everything with one hand.

I think I've fixed the thing with the slippery control. Then I was worried that it was feeling oddly sluggish, but I worked out that this only happens when I am running Firefox as well. Hopefully switching GameMaker to run on highest priority will fix this (and not have any weird side-effects).

In the current version it's easier to not die, but I've actually upped the number of lines to 50, as a nice round number. But reading the replies here, maybe this is a mistake and I'm guilty of padding. The scoring has changed, but I want to leave it a bit hard so that the player has to think about trying to complete multiple lines at once as well as just survival.

Thanks for the support Gentleman. Level 2 is progressing, but more slowly than I hoped. I forgot to factor my bone-idleness and inability to concentrate into my timing plans. If level 3 makes it in, it will be rushed, incoherent, and focus on unimaginative combat... but wait!

I'm torn on whether to keep my TV effect or try to work out what I need to do to make it run for everyone. Any more feedback from the people who were having problems would be very helpful.

If I make it home sober tonight I will clean up the current version and post it here.

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »

I love the old-tv-effect Sad.

If you do take it out, can you keep a version with it still intact?
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »

First post is updated with the current, still-old-TV-ish, version. Probably I will fiddle with the colours and the font on the front-end screens. Everywhere it says "space", "enter" will also work.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic