Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:33:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBarbarium (Post-apocalyptic action platformer)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Barbarium (Post-apocalyptic action platformer)  (Read 18233 times)
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 04:05:08 AM »

Thanks for the indepth comment Udderdude! I changed the shield button to S and removed the ability to look down.

The giant robots will be fightable later in the game. For now they just block you until you gain enough points. They never block you from advancing in the game, there will only be challenge rooms and treasures behind them.

I also increased the view distance of the jumper. Many players have complained about them being "cheap".

And about the infinite respawns issue. I want the game to be a fast paced platformer, that you can play while on a lunch break or something. It's nothing more than a browser game. Cheap and fast fun, but with some depth ofcourse.

Good point about the fantasy theme! It never occured to me that the sword runes were the only fantasy thing going on and it may clash with the overall scifi theme. But they add a whole new gameplay element to it and I have already designed some puzzles around them. Maybe I should switch them to something more scifi as you suggested.

You are right about the jump sound, I may fix it later!

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »

Good point about the fantasy theme! It never occured to me that the sword runes were the only fantasy thing going on and it may clash with the overall scifi theme. But they add a whole new gameplay element to it and I have already designed some puzzles around them. Maybe I should switch them to something more scifi as you suggested.

You could always have a laser sword or a light saber or something, you could easily avert having to get rid of the whole mechanic Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »

You could always have a laser sword or a light saber or something, you could easily avert having to get rid of the whole mechanic Smiley

That also seems somewhat out of place, seeing as those weapons are typically in science fantasy.
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 02:12:50 AM »

I'm not going to get rid of the whole mechanic, but I'm thinking of ways to make it more coherent. I agree with thatsDanSharman on the subject.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:05 AM »

conan would make a great radiographer. just imo
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 02:35:45 AM »

conan would make a great radiographer. just imo

That's the exact thought that inspired me to make this game.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

Development continues! Now that my other game has been finished, I can but all my heart into this one.

Screenshot!

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »

Working on the ice rune for the sword. A blatant Metroid ripoff. Gentleman

This is gonna bother me.
Why does the barbarian have a black outline around his gun but the other guy doesn't?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »

Fun game! Played up to the boss that comes out of the walls. He seemed to suddenly disappear at one point never to return. I didn't feel like I'd beaten him and I couldn't find a way to get out of the room. Is that a bug or am I just stupid?

One thing I didn't like was the bottomless pits. Having to guess which pits lead down and which ones lead to death isn't fun. I'd recommend either getting rid of them completely or replacing them with something obvious like spike pits or sth.
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »

This is gonna bother me.
Why does the barbarian have a black outline around his gun but the other guy doesn't?

it does have an outline.

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »

This is gonna bother me.

it does have an outline.
But not an outline surrounding the entire gun like the barbarian's

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »

o you mean the hand though

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »

they're mutants, the gun is fused to the hand

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 06:36:38 AM »

Playing around with weather effects.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »

This week I have been working on some icy speed boosters. I mostly hate ice levels in games so I decided to make one that I myself would like to play. I'm using the sliding to create some crazy ass speed racing levels with huge jumps and other awesome stuff, as opposite to the usual frustrating slippery platforming you find in most games.

The themes of the different areas are also starting to take shape.
The first desert levels are the exploration type with secret rooms. The urban jungle levels are more action oriented with bundles of enemies, beer, meat and babes. The mountain is straight platforming with more challenging routes rewarding with coins and cartridges, and the ice station inside the mountain is more relaxed puzzle oriented stuff. Then theres the last enviroment that I'll leave in secret until the game is released.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »

Posted a new demo!
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14743

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »

Made the text much more readable. Added a red tint to negative speech and green tint for positive speech, a bit like in Fallout.

Also added some mines. Just for fun!

Last but not least, I finally took the time to add that damn outline to the enemy hand! You're welcome DustyDrake! Smiley

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

Final area for the game.

Also, I updated the demo! Theres now two more areas to explore.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:18 AM »

Changed the saving system to a more efficient one. The game should no longer pause while saving. Also added a warp system in the main menu so you can go to all the locations asap!

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10899
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:54:48 AM by Hypnohustla » Logged

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »

epic

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic