Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:01:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTribes Ascend
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Tribes Ascend  (Read 13323 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »

That's... Depressing. Concerned

It pisses me off how they're not like "we'll try it and if people dislike it we'll revert"; you know, how any rationally minded developer should do when they're in BETA... TRY THINGS

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »

idk why this is the thing that makes you realize theyre scumbags, but ok

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »

It's not so much that 'now there's scumbags', it's just that people will tolerate a certain amount of scum so long as an enjoyable product comes out.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2012, 12:35:41 AM »

So the new Tribes update is a TF2 styled 'class' pack that gives the assassin some skins you can buy and a few new weapons, one of which is just the Arx Buster only you can trigger the explosion.  You can use this to lay traps OR explode in mid-air, making it super easy to get air kill after air kill.  It is the best weapon in the game for indoor combat, AND mid-air dueling.  

It should be noted that a few months ago they gave the tech class, which is ostensibly for defense, a super good grenade launcher, which made tech one of the better offense classes.

My friend says that Hi-Rez is fixated on balancing individual weapons against one another rather than classes against classes, which seems pretty true.  Case in point being that the light classes get a crummier disc gun than the heavier classes, which means that not only are light classes 'balanced' against heavy ones by being more fragile in exchange for their speed, they are also penalized by having crummier weapons.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »

Speed is a big thing in the game, it does require two penalties for the shazfinder, the light discgun also fires faster.

This still easily makes it the most versatile class in the game, flag capturing, flag retrieving, or general harassment.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »

People are always gonna be pathfinder for capping because that's what the class is made for.  Previous games though did, to my knowledge, just have one disc gun.

I sort of just liked the heavy/mid/light set up of the previous game where you have the basic tradeoff of speed vs durability and then you select weapons from there.  Yeah there were light/mid/heavy only weapons, but the majority of the balancing was done based through the speed/durability tradeoff and not through individual weapons.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »

To be fair, the Thumper is pretty bad outdoors. Mostly because of the shoddy movement inheritance. In general, I go SMG for outdoors Tech (better for chasing flag carriers) and Thumper for indoors Tech (better for gen defense and area denial).

Granted I am almost always indoors because people seem to think CTF = attack the generator, so I usually use a Thumper. I generally think it's the better weapon for the Tech, just because he's probably going to be in tight spaces where the huge blast radius and high damage do a lot of good.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »

Granted I am almost always indoors because people seem to think CTF = attack the generator, so I usually use a Thumper. I generally think it's the better weapon for the Tech, just because he's probably going to be in tight spaces where the huge blast radius and high damage do a lot of good.

Attacking the generator can be annoyingly effective, especially with every kind of placed or static defense going offline Sad

But then again, that's what you thumpers-techs are there for.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »

Jackal isn't that great at all, certainly not OP.
Its midair damage got reduced btw.

And if you think Pathfinders are at a disadvantage because of the light spinfusor... Well, then you need to play the game more. Also bolt launcher if you want what is basically the god child of the thumper and spinfusor.

I think the balance has been maintained pretty well, you just need to understand what each class is good for, and all of them have very strong roles.(in CTF at least)

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »

Evil

(got this gameplay earlier, I am Vanof)

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »

so you bought the best weapon  ?  ?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
iffi
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »

Your cynicism is quite unfounded, there most definitely isn't a "best weapon" or so-called "pay to win button" in this game. There are upgrades you can get for your weapons, but those are cheap and can be easily gotten for any weapon you care to use often.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2012, 06:32:53 AM »

v1.0
waiting for updates to install

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
iffi
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »

Evil

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21167434/tribes_woot.PNG
(got this gameplay earlier, I am Vanof)
I just realized you added me (Shepardus) a long time ago and I never added you back.
ink.inc
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

blablablalblabl

fuck this gam3

idk is it just me or are other people not using the same guns i'm using

it takes me 1000000 direct hits to the face to kill someone, but i seem to die in 1 hit

klasdjflaksjdlfkjaslk

maybe i'm just bad
ink.inc
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »

Projectile weapons are only useful if you can land approx >= 40% of all fired shots.
Stick with the explosive weapons until then.

Also, zoning.
Position/maneuvering is just as important, if not more, than aim.

@iffi yeah I added you like right as this thread started lol.
I'm glad they added the whole "following" thingy, it's nifty.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »

Your cynicism is quite unfounded, there most definitely isn't a "best weapon" or so-called "pay to win button" in this game. There are upgrades you can get for your weapons, but those are cheap and can be easily gotten for any weapon you care to use often.

1. MIRV
2. Techs Thumper
3. Pathfinders LAR secondary.
4. Stealth Spinfuser/Jackle
5. Soldier's Spinfuser

Are all examples of weapons with clearly superior counterparts apart from a small niche you might find with the default

It's NOT pay to win AT ALL, most of the normal weapons are totally viable, but there are still little issues on some of the weapons, but as you'll notice they are patching every so many weeks with great balance updates.

and the opposite is true for some secondary weapons where they are WORSE than the default.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

blablablalblabl

fuck this gam3

idk is it just me or are other people not using the same guns i'm using

it takes me 1000000 direct hits to the face to kill someone, but i seem to die in 1 hit

klasdjflaksjdlfkjaslk

maybe i'm just bad

I felt the exact same thing!

Then I got better, I really really suggest you unlock both the Pilot and Wheel Deal Perks and max them out, then proceed to buy nothing but tanks (and never die because you trollface eject out if the tank dies and buy another tank.

Just till you get used to how the movement/hitting players feels

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »

I never really felt that, but I stuck to Soldier initially, and at a time when the game probably got flooded with tons of other n00bz as well.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic