Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:34:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour ideas for an ACTION-RPG (2D)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Your ideas for an ACTION-RPG (2D)  (Read 5702 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 04:33:36 AM »

I play gamepad all the time, and at a level right around "pro > * > tournament" level. Hard to really put that well, but I'm almost consistently better with pads than sticks, save for XBox 360 (because most 360 d-pads suck for cardinal/diagonal orientation, and they have the same problems as thumbsticks - one degree past horizontal and you're airborne). I *can* play arcade sticks (save for Mortal Kombat) fairly well, but I get consistently better response with my gamepads. I can keyboard that shit better, too. (But then, my first gamedev project was based on the SSF2 engine. So take that with a grain of salt...)

As for Dark Souls, I cannot recommend that enough. It was my pick for GotY. The only user here I think that's more vocal about DkS is C.A. Sinclair. The controls take a little getting used to (especially if you're used to the whole thumb-button-to-attack scheme). It's a really incredible experience that doesn't really let up and always keeps you guessing and on your toes. Plus, the game is atmosphere incarnate, the combat system is both flexible and deep (you can have plenty of options, but not all of them at once), and even many of the AIs aren't stupid about it.

The Humanity (Body/Hollow form) system is about as technically complex as it gets, and the game doesn't quite do enough to clairify the advantages and disadvantages of it. But we'll cross that bridge if/when you get there.

Certainly check it out, and don't let it bully you out of pushing through a good portion of it. It can be tough as nails if the game's unfamiliar to you (or you've never played Demon's Souls or King's Field). One final word of warning - it will probably screw with your standards of both RPGs and Metroidvanias. And probably level design of 3D games on the whole (if Sonic Generations didn't already do that).

I mean that in the GOOD way.

Oh, and if you're uncertain about buying it,

IF you decide you want to get/play this game, immediately stop watching the playthrough, and do it. That element of surprise/exploration is key to it's full enjoyment, and the less you know going in, the more you'll love it.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »

I will check it out. Looks solid, at least.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »

Not sure about Dark Souls, I already watched the part 4 and don't want to spoil it much more. But the action is looking pretty poor so far, just one or two different techniques applied all over again. It doesn't look challenging, it just looks tedious at times. Is it going about to change or will you be able to play like this all the time?

In case you have played Cursed Crusade. How does the combat compare to it?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

Haven't played Cursed Crusade, unfortunately.

The combat *is* deliberately slow-paced and tactical, kinda how Soul Blade/Calibur is much more methodically paced than Tekken. In fact, a "first person Soul Calibur" is probably the best description of how the combat in the game is, it's not very twitch-heavy at all. If you've seen any of the parts where the player takes it hit, it really sinks in - your character is rather fragile, and it doesn't take many screwups to send you packing. This, combined with some devious level design (hence the spoilage), makes for a tense, exciting atmosphere in spite of it's slower pacing.

Everybody develops a certain personal style to their gameplay - some people I've seen snipe enemies from afar by investing souls in lot of arrows, some like sneaking around and backstabbing adversaries, and some take them head-on. This just happens to be coming from somebody who's experienced a lot of the game already, so they know what they're doing and what's coming.

If you have a friend that has the game, you should still check it out firsthand. And if you have a PS3, the very-similar-in-nature Demon's Souls should be available for $20 or less now. It's online functionality is still intact, as well; and it actually does seem a little quicker-paced.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic