Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:43:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMs. Particle-Man: iOS game inspired by the Higgs boson
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ms. Particle-Man: iOS game inspired by the Higgs boson  (Read 1516 times)
picobots
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »

Hi, I'm an indie game developer, and I created a retro-style arcade game for iOS called "MS. PARTICLE-MAN." I thought some TIGForums members might be interested in it.

Here's a trailer video where you can see the game in action:
http://vimeo.com/picobots/ms-particle-man-official-trailer

And here's a link to the game in the iTunes App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ms.-particle-man/id500745010

Details:

The game has a 8-bit/retro look, and a soundtrack and sound effects to match. Everything about it recalls the classics of yore from the arcade, Atari, Commodore 64, and NES eras. I was influenced by a variety of games, including Pong, Breakout, Asteroids, Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Pitfall!, and Super Mario Bros. And just like all of those great old games, Ms. Particle-Man is FUN and DIFFICULT!

The goal of the game is simple: Discover the Higgs boson. The player controls Ms. Particle-Man in his/her search for the Higgs across three different collider worlds. Each collider ends with a showdown against an elementary particle. The player collides with each boss particle to discover new worlds, abilities, and eventually possibly even the Higgs boson itself.

I originally created the game for an art/science variety show inspired by particle physics and the search for the elusive Higgs boson, and I built a one-of-a-kind custom tabletop arcade cabinet for my game. That cabinet will be on display at a variety of events so people can play the game in true classic arcade fashion. You can read all about at my website:

http://picobots.net/projects/11210599/ms-particle-man

If anybody runs a blog or site devoted to writing about indie games, I will happily provide promo codes for the iOS game if you're interested in writing about the game!
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

Oh man, I love the idea, haha.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »

I played the browser version, it's fun Smiley It'd be nice if it makes it to Android.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

That was quite the enjoyable game.  Smiley

picobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I would love to port Ms. Particle-Man to Android, and actually, given the tool set that I used to code the game (XNA + MonoTouch + ExEn), it wouldn't be that hard. Unfortunately, I don't have an Android device yet, so for now I'm just waiting to see if I can garner a modest amount of attention on iOS first. If I can get a few hundred people to download it, I'll definitely look into Android Smiley
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »

Tried the browser version and thought it was pretty cool so decided to grab it for iOS. Sadly, it's not compatible with my phone (3G) so I picked up the iPad version. I was curious how you were going to translate the controls to touch and think you did a nice job! I've used a similar control scheme (and was influenced by Mage Gauntlet) in a top down game I was working on.

Anyway, I really like the game  Smiley Clever, interesting, and challenging without being frustrating.
picobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and kind words Smiley
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

I wanted to try this, unfortunately the browser version didn't work for me.  Silverlight appeared to load, but all I got was a black screen. Sad
picobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! A few quick questions:

1. What browser and operating system are you using?
2. What country do you live in?
3. When did you try playing the game? Just a few hours ago? There was a game breaking bug for certain non-US users that I just discovered earlier today. I deployed a couple of new versions of the game, so it's possible you tried to load the game right as I was putting out a new version. (Or it's also possible you were affected by the bug.)

Would you mind trying again when you have a chance? Hopefully it's fixed now, but if not, I would love to work with you to solve the problem if you're willing!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! A few quick questions:

1. What browser and operating system are you using?
2. What country do you live in?
3. When did you try playing the game? Just a few hours ago? There was a game breaking bug for certain non-US users that I just discovered earlier today. I deployed a couple of new versions of the game, so it's possible you tried to load the game right as I was putting out a new version. (Or it's also possible you were affected by the bug.)

Would you mind trying again when you have a chance? Hopefully it's fixed now, but if not, I would love to work with you to solve the problem if you're willing!

1. I tried it in Firefox 10.0.2 and Internet Explorer 9.  Both 32-bit versions.
2. Canada
3. It was just a few hours ago, I tried it again after clearing my browser cache, and it still gave me the black screen.
toad
Level 0

Never finished a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »

Played the first three levels on the browser version and enjoyed it! Very nice!  Smiley
picobots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »

Thanks toad! Smiley
JBHemlock
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »

I played the browser version for a while, it's pretty fun and I love anything inspired by particle physics just as a matter of course. Smiley

It was a bit dodgy when I finished, though. I'm using Mac Chrome, and something in the game/silverlight hung my browser for about 30 seconds when I was done.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic