Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:03:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMeteor Storm Escape
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Meteor Storm Escape  (Read 10281 times)
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 07:48:39 AM »

For the shield, you could have a crystalline/geometric-like force field that surrounds the ship. It's invisible to starter and beings to show/flicker and gets a tint applied to it when you take damage. It could get more reddened as it gets more dire or cracks and tints (ultimately doing a shattering effect when it's gone).

These are awesome ideas, i like the shield one esp. We would need to make sure the effect each time you were hit was significant an its not a slow gradual change. I'll have to talk to artist about getting a texture/shader for it.

ta,
sean
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 07:55:10 AM »

New Checkerboard Texture to go with the Lighting, Makes the gameplay feel MUCH FASTER!

Other Recent/New Features
  • Tweaked Steering
  • Shield Pickups
  • Fuel Stations Get Further Apart
  • Boosting to go faster no longer depletes your fuel, just boost points.
  • Many, many more background objects

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »

I like the stylized graphics and interface that you've got going on. Cool to see that you got your inspiration from something as seemingly random as the background set for a car ad, it gives everything a neat futuristic vibe because of it.

One question I had was about the impact projectiles. Right now, they all seem to land at the same depth (in the video I saw). Will there be some variation with the size/type/depth of that sort of thing? The thought of one disappearing completely leaving a molten magma pool behind crossed my mind Smiley

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

DAYUM!
Those screens look slick! I wub it immensely and wanna make some bad things with it. Screamy

Yeah.
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 07:59:42 AM »

One question I had was about the impact projectiles. Right now, they all seem to land at the same depth (in the video I saw). Will there be some variation with the size/type/depth of that sort of thing? The thought of one disappearing completely leaving a molten magma pool behind crossed my mind Smiley

Such a thing would be lovely.  Maybe if we can get some sales of this first one then we can make another with more extravagant meshes and animations.
burtonposey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »

Such a thing would be lovely.  Maybe if we can get some sales of this first one then we can make another with more extravagant meshes and animations.

Let me know if you need anything. I like to deviate from my normal stuff and the scope of more complex meshes for what you've got currently seems like it wouldn't be that time consuming for me. I use Maya FYI. I don't mind tinkering an hour or so every week on it for you, free of charge Smiley. Keep it up.

fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 04:26:09 AM »

Meteor Storm Escape First Playable

Escape the Meteor Storm pounding your home City!
Jump into your futuristic hover bike and escape the cataclysm across country.
How far can you get?

Instructions (Read these First)

There is no tutorial in this build so these notes will have to do for now...

Its a meteor cataclysm so your craft is accelerating as much as it can.

Use Boost to go fast and fly into the air. Once airborne do stunts to get more boost. Use boost to go faster & do more stunts, etc. Refuelling stations are stationed regularly, they start off about 1km apart but get further and further apart as you go onwards. When boosting your craft is not using fuel, so you can use boost to go further and further between refuelling.

Avoid Meteors, Trees, etc. Crashing will deplete your shields. Shield pickups are spread randomly to replenish your shields.

<- & -> Left and Right Arrows Steer Your Craft.

Z - Speed Boost. Limited Supply, use wisely. Pushes you forwards and down towards the ground. Use it to gain speed. On release you will leap up into the air. Drive into a valley and up the other side, release on your way back up & out for maximum air/hangtime.

X - Spin/Stunt. Use this when you have lots of elevation. Once you are off the ground, press X then use all four arrow keys to spin your craft. Release to right yourself. Leave enough time to right yourself before you hit the ground.

We need YOUR feedback!

The game is clearly unfinished. This is one level of a multi mission multi vehicle version we plan to release on iOS and mac/pc.
Please give us your feedback and help us make it polished and better.

Follow the link to our First Playable v 0.5.1.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:50:58 AM by sean » Logged
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »

Hey sean, this game has lots of potential from doing the little goofing around I did with the example!

Here is my take on it thus far:

-It would be nice if you could pull off stunts with the same kind of speed as the ship is flying at. They seem kind of slow and cumbersome at the moment.

-For whatever reason, I had a hard time keeping track of my shield and fuel, even though their location is right in your face. Maybe the bars blend in a little too well with the background or something.

-Definitely needs a transition to the start screen after you die. I know it`s a super early release of the game, but that would help simpletons like me realize that they`ve destroyed their ship!

-If you have no shields, I think it would be nicer if you could play until you smack into something...it`s tough to get the powerups.

That said, it`s a fun game at this stage, I keep going back to see if I can improve! Tongue

fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:05 AM »

We have posted another playable build in the Feedback Forum.
Go there and let us know what you think?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25886.0

thanks
sean
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 04:54:22 AM »

Since a lot of your time is spent experiencing near misses and making sure you're ship is avoiding obstacles by small margins, it would be nice to see critical information without having to look away from the ship. Just a thought.

Hi burton,

i've rearranged the HUD, whilst its not perfect it is an improvement. The numbers are clearer and the status bars are slightly more obvious.

http://blog.happylittlealiens.com/2012/05/meteor-storm-escape-new-hud-layout/

sean
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 05:00:40 AM »

The thought of one disappearing completely leaving a molten magma pool behind crossed my mind Smiley

Dude, This is an great idea!
We have a problem currently that the meteors can block progress if they come in too close together. Having them sink underground would help but sink into a hot magma pool would be awesome!

sean
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 05:19:23 AM »

-It would be nice if you could pull off stunts with the same kind of speed as the ship is flying at. They seem kind of slow and cumbersome at the moment.

The recent public builds are a bit slow on the stunt and could do with tweaking, probably faster. In the end its a balance thing. The payer commits to a stunt it takes some time to perform. They then release in sufficient time to level out and hit the ground horizontal & forward so as to avoid losing sheilds on landing. All the while judging it based on the amount of "hang-time" they obtained from take off. The boost they gain from a stunt is related to its length (& complexity). We could make the spin faster and reduce the boost awarded so you have to do more complex stunts in the same time to be awarded the same boost.

-For whatever reason, I had a hard time keeping track of my shield and fuel, even though their location is right in your face. Maybe the bars blend in a little too well with the background or something.

We have rearranged the HUD. It should be clearer. I'll take a look at the alpha transparency o the bars. Elsewhere people have suggested that the feedback be on the ship. Its more complex, but im looking into it too. Maybe something like that blur racing game?

-Definitely needs a transition to the start screen after you die. I know it`s a super early release of the game, but that would help simpletons like me realize that they`ve destroyed their ship!

Definitely

-If you have no shields, I think it would be nicer if you could play until you smack into something...it`s tough to get the powerups.

In the recent version if your shields run low and you start to burn up, then you have a couple of seconds in which to hit another pickup and continue. Like a dramatic save or rescue.

That said, it`s a fun game at this stage, I keep going back to see if I can improve! Tongue

Thanks!
:-D
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 02:23:36 AM »

We are beginning the search for a musician/composer to join the team contributing to Meteor Storm Escape.
We are getting quite far along, just a few last features and some lesser bugs to iron out.
Here is a link to the feedback forum where we are posting playable builds, the latest is v 0.5.2

Its not finished, but its a slice of the final game, we have more locations with different visuals and plan extra vehicles with different abilities.

Currently everyone (programmer, 2 artists) on the project is planning to be paid by a revenue share.

Still Interested?

• Reply, send a personal message or if you prefer an email (see profile).
  • We'd be really interested to hear any pieces that you think would be a good fit for the gameplay.
  • We can talk in detail about about next steps, goals & plans to profit from the project.

thanks,
sean
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »

Latest Gameplay Video with lots of new art updates.

Click the Image to view the video

Share & Enjoy!
sean
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 05:34:50 AM »

Recent Screenies

We recently found that it runs like a cow on an iPod. Far too slow.
This has a lot to do with there being too many material swaps. This is slightly problematic because the landscape and mountains are procedurally generated they can be static-batched.
However because the track and mountains add up to about 25k polys we might have to cut them back a bit too.

New menus are both better, more professional and not as popular. Hmm, not sure how to fix that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:21:15 PM by sean » Logged
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »

I hate "More Games" buttons. Looks a desperate move from a developer.

Are those "more games" a reference to "more games" you developed, or game modes?

Yeah.
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »

I hate "More Games" buttons. Looks a desperate move from a developer.

Are those "more games" a reference to "more games" you developed, or game modes?

i think most people dislike them including developers, but they are a necessary irritation. More games buttons are a way of generating income from a finished game that is being given away for free. They link to an advertising network of other peoples games which are for download. Like advertising on tv, but for other tv shows instead of trucks and carpet freshener or whatever.

Sorry,

sean
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »

I tried the latest - it's pretty fun so far. Keep it comin!

fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »

I tried the latest - it's pretty fun so far. Keep it comin!
thx
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »

This is slightly problematic beacause the landscape and mountains are procedurally generated they can be static-batched.

beacause
beacause
beacause

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic