Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:48:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsProgrammer looking for pixel artist for fast-paced 2D platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer looking for pixel artist for fast-paced 2D platformer  (Read 1243 times)
Csar
Level 0

Nanana Batman!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »

Hi
I'm looking for a pixel artist to partner up with on a game I'm making. The game is currently called Blopica (that may change) and what I'm going for is fast-paced action platformer with RPG elements.
The game will be cooperative and playable online. It sounds very ambitious I know, but I work in iterations and implement stuff a little at a time trying to always have something playable. I work on this mainly as a hobby project so I don't have a set date when it should be done. I figured it's done when it's done (I'm having so much fun making it anyway).

I've gotten most of my inspiration from games such as Castlevania SOTN, Ragnarok Online, Diablo 2 and Teeworlds. I'm going to try to specify a bit more what parts I like that I'm trying to incorporate to the game:
Diablo 2 - The item heavy emphasis. Finding new lot that is just a little bit better than the item you had before can be such a rewarding feeling. Also when picking that special item up before your friend does. I've also gotten a bit of inspiration for the skill tree here.
Ragnarok Online - The class system. I like how the expand a character class into a second class that gives you a chance to upgrade your class in different directions. Also the fact that you gain a new skill tree with it!
Castlevania Symphony of the Night - The pace and the overall feeling of the engine. I really like how tight the controls are in this one. I also like how the managed to tell a story without bucket loads of text.
Teeworlds - The pace and the nature of how a game becomes so much more fun when you can play with friends and other people.

The game is being developed in Java so it works both on PC and Mac. PC and Mac players can even play together. They game is diveded into three parts; client, server and mapeditor. I've posted in the "introduce yourself" thread if you want to see more of my previous work.

Here's a short youtube video of what I have gotten so far. The current art in there are placeholders made by me (I'm an okay pixel artist at best when I put a lot of time into it).

I haven't really got my mind decided on a specific art style (other than it should be pixel art) and I'm open for suggestions if you wish to undertake this task. There are some sprite measurement restrictions however. I'm looking for someone who wants to get involved in the game and not only do the graphics but also help make out what direction the game should take. Let's make a game together!
Please PM me if you are interested and want to schedule a playthrough of the current engine before giving your answer, you want to jump aboard immediately or simply want more info!

Thanks for your time!

(9o_o)9 o-(o_oO)
Hydroida
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »

You'll have to be careful with your design if you want to maintain a fast pace yet incorporate randomly generated items. You probably don't want people having to stop and examine items carefully against their own before picking them up as this will slow down the gameplay considerably. There are a few ways you might solve this, you could for instance have the engine calculate the affect on stats versus currently equipped items and simply display whether the gear is better or not, which I think might be the best way, or give the player a huge inventory and a safe place to sort through the items later. That said, if this is to be multiplayer you will just have people picking up everything if there is any way to sell things, possibly depriving other players of gear they need unless their inventory space is small. If you are using a class system you might mitigate this by locking pickups based on class, giving the players party looting options, or having a combined pool of loot that they can select gear they need from after levels. At any rate, this is an important design decision you will likely run into.
Csar
Level 0

Nanana Batman!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:40:08 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I actually have restricted some items to specific classes. I've also thought about implementing the item compare functionality that you spoke about aswell to speed up the item comparing. It's on my todolist.

I don't actually have randomly generated items. The loot that drops will be random but chosen from a set number of items depending on rarity. More difficult monsters will have a higher chance of dropping better items.

Regarding the possibility that people might fight over the loot I considered implementing a rolling system later on. But I actually kinda like the idea of people fighting over the loot Smiley. It gives some sense of competition in an otherwise cooperative game which I have always found fun.

(9o_o)9 o-(o_oO)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic