Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:32:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMini Morphs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mini Morphs  (Read 2126 times)
CosmicJC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »

So I thought I'd use this space to keep track of development for my first game called Mini Morphs!

It's a creature simulator game based around the idea of raising a small creature through branching stages of evolution, and trying to collect all the different creatures in your garden. I started working on it at the beginning of this year as an entry for a competition.

The deadline was February 20th, and since this was my first time programming anything like this I could only send in a very early, and uncompleted version of the game. I thought I'd start off with some early screenshots showing the process I've gone through over these two months.

The initial testing of the engine and some concept art

What the current version of the game looks like

Right now the pets have some basic mechanics working, such as a hunger, happiness, cleanliness, energy and fitness which will change over time and depending on how the player interacts with the pet. This is very much borrowing from the tamagotchi gameplay, which I thought would be a good fit of Pokki that the game is currently on. There's 15 different creatures in total which I'll post later Smiley

Right now I'm working towards getting some major game features in, including

- A "Minipedia" that fills out as the player raises their pet to keep track of evolution paths and what certain breeds like and dislike
- Mini games that players can play with their pets
- A store to buy additional exercises and toys
- Training affects stats like strength, endurance, intelligence, etc. that will affect how well pets perform in mini games
- Instead of just hanging out in the back, previous pets will start to populate the game world (maybe open up shops, or something, idk)

Obviously all of this stuff will take an incredibly long time to put in the game, but hopefully I can turn this into a fun little background app for people to check out! Speaking of which...

You can check out my website for the game here for more info

Or you can click this link to directly download the game (it's only on Windows OS right now, should be on Mac in a month or two, sorry!)

CosmicJC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:49 AM »

Here's images of all the creatures I have so far! I was going to show the evolution chart but didn't think it would fit in one post.

In the game, you need to maintain the pets fitness level in order for it stay healthy and evolve, but I think I'm going to put in a "fat" creature that it could change in to if the player keeps their pet obese XD

CosmicJC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

Thanks Gabriel! I'm a big fan of your work so that means a lot coming form you Smiley I would really like to get a proper artist to work with to find a style that would make the game stand out, but for now this is the best I'm able to do on my own. Will definitely work on it in the future to make it stand out instead, of being too much like Pokemon though!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »

Feels alot like Tamagotchi, if I recall correctly. Though, I do see the Pokemon influence in there, as well. Nice graphics, though.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »

I want Skruffs to wear a little chef hat, and make me food Smiley
Really cool stuff!
CosmicJC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »

@SolarLune Yeah it does play a lot like tamagotchi right now eye to its minimal feature set. Hopefully that'll change once I add more to it!

@Kitheif Haha, I think a chef Skryffs could work really well

On another note, I've been doing a lot of bug fixing lately, there's some weird glitching when the player gets Ursaly for some reason :/ I also wish I had more time to work on this, but with uni classes it's becoming increasingly difficult. Very frustrating -.-

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic