Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:28:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBRAID (Spoiler central)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: BRAID (Spoiler central)  (Read 15952 times)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »

So, I've finished everything but three puzzle pieces. I'm not going to use a walkthough. I swear!

*mumble mumble*
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »

Alright. Sorry for the double post, but I did just finish the game. I agree with Nathaniel's post: some of the puzzles had some really dumb solutions. There were certain game mechanics that you had to be aware of to be able to solve some of them, and said game mechanics are not explained to you at the start.
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2008, 12:50:41 AM »

Braid is utterly fantastic. That said, it is quite frustrating as I want to talk about some things in the game, but they would be huge spoilers... and I wouldn't want to ruin the game for anyone... but for those in the know... the cloud? GEEZ!

This is one of the few games in recent memory that had me losing track of time (har har) and realizing that it was 3:30 in the morning and I might want to get some sleep.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »

DAMN YOU WORLDS THREE AND FOUR, DAMN YOU.

Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 02:20:36 AM »

three pieces left in world 4. and I was seriously stumped when I came to world 5. this is gonna take a while...

@optriromini
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

All that bitching about the price hasn't stopped Braid from selling ~ 29,000 copies since Wednesday.  At that $15 price point, that's  in the neighborhood of $435000 gross.  After Microsoft's cut, which has traditionally been 30% but may or may not be up to 70%.  That's still a lot of money.

Of course, Jonathan Blow says that it still needs to sell more to be profitable.  I wonder if this is because of Microsoft's new majority take of the revenue split?

Oh yeah, it's also the highest rated XBLA title ever and the 10th highest rated 360 game ever.
 Gentleman

Blow in more depth at  the Braid blog: http://braid-game.com/news/?p=303

@doomlaser, mark johns
Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 05:08:02 PM »

Yeah I have the feeling it will be a "slow and steady" seller, as the best advertisement for a game like Braid is word of mouth. Which is not to say that 29,000 copies (if that is correct) is slow.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 06:27:44 PM »

im so glad its doing well.. maybe thatll get the pc port out sooner.. or later.. ):
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »

Awesome news!  Braid in the top 10 on Metacritic ~ WOW!

I imagine the length of the development factors into the profitability, as well.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »

70%? I really gotta say, that's fucking stupid on Microsoft's part. You begin to near the point where paid internet distribution becomes vastly superior to XBLA. That just sounds like a really, really dumb number.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

I wish I had some money Sad

Knowing the way my mind works, though, I'll most likely end up buying it for both 360 and PC. Grin

olücæbelel
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

So. I've now finished Braid, and had some time to think about it. (NOTE: Very slightly spoily. Read at your own risk!)

The bottom line from me is: I didn't like it. I liked it. It was a game filled with potential, that delivers in every regard until the very end.

I love the platforming action. You just don't get many games like this, and time traveling has always been an awesome gameplay tool that not enough developers think about. However, some of the puzzles required you to know things that you should not notice if you play well. Also, there were several other puzzles that required pixel perfect timing, or just luck. I'm afraid that the developers took the fact that you couldn't actually die, and then used it to make many of the puzzles impossibly hard.

The ending upset me as well. I hate abstract endings. People go "oh gee, abstract. How artful." I just look at it and go "what the fuck? Why did I play through this game, then?" I'm trying not to give it away here, but the ending just wasn't satisfying, in my opinion. I'm tired of everybody trying to do twists and breaking cliches, but when you get down to it, I really prefer those old romantic novels, when everything just worked out in the end. This way, I wonder what I was doing all this for.

Despite my gripes, though, it was a good game. Certain puzzles were frustrating without being rewarding after being completed, but most of them were thoroughly entertaining (my favorite were the boss battles). The ending was lackluster to me, but I can see the allure to others. I will do something thoroughly non-indie here and give it a score of 8/10.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:14 AM »

Also, there were several other puzzles that required pixel perfect timing, or just luck. I'm afraid that the developers took the fact that you couldn't actually die, and then used it to make many of the puzzles impossibly hard.

Quote from: Jonathan Blow
If anyone is trying to solve a puzzle in Braid and they feel like it requires a lot of trial and error and a lot of platforming skills… they are probably missing a simpler solution. There are a few spots in the games with slightly tricky jumps, but for the most part it’s about understanding the puzzles as deeply as possible.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:50 AM »

If anyone is trying to solve a puzzle in Braid and they feel like it requires a lot of trial and error and a lot of platforming skills… they are probably missing a simpler solution. There are a few spots in the games with slightly tricky jumps, but for the most part it’s about understanding the puzzles as deeply as possible.

He just wants to justify the games difficulty :D
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 01:41:34 AM »

He just wants to justify the games difficulty :D
Possibly.  Grin

(Haven't  played the game yet.... FORGOT MY GAMEPADS AT ANOTHER PLACE Sad)
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 01:43:55 AM »

I'm waiting for the PC release. The PC is a bit more stable than my 360 and I hate losing savegames halfway through the game.

And with two brothers I rarely get to see my 360 anyway (I really need to move out).
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:25 AM »

The PC is a bit more stable than my 360
:O what is wrong with your 360?!

olücæbelel
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 05:25:39 AM »

The fact that it's already my second :D
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 05:27:54 AM »

And with two brothers

I'm pretty sure that answers your question, Shinygerbil.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 06:27:51 AM »

Just finished. I thought it was fantastic

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic