Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411908 Posts in 69429 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 09, 2024, 09:28:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWaveform coming to Steam soon - a PC game about manipulating a wave of light
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Waveform coming to Steam soon - a PC game about manipulating a wave of light  (Read 1225 times)
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »

Hey everyone, you may remember my game Waveform from my post a while back about it's Kickstarter project, which was not successful unfortunately  Cry

Nevertheless, things are still going well for Waveform and it's nearing it's release on Steam! Haven't worked out a final date with Valve, but it's looking like sometime in March.

Anyway I put together a new trailer for it recently, which you can check out here:

And to learn a bit more about the game, you can check out the press release I made to accompany the trailer: http://www.edenindustries.ca/press/Waveform Press Release.pdf

One interesting thing about Waveform is that I developed it part-time while I worked for Next Level Games as an AI Programmer on Luigi's Mansion 2. So it's been a long road of late nights and early mornings, but it's almost done which is great  Smiley

Well I hope you like the trailer! And let me know if you have any comments or questions about the game, the trailer, or whatever!

Cheers!

Ryan

Ryan Vandendyck - Founder - Eden Industries
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »

Wow, the music alone is enough to have me interested, but the gameplay looks pretty fun too! Have you been taking influence from bit trip?
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »

Thanks Blink, I'm glad you like it! It's funny that you mention BIT.TRIP, as I actually get a ton of comparisons to that series. And of course I take those comparisons as a compliment since those are awesome games! I can't speak for the musical inspiration, since I wasn't the one who created the music, but for the gameplay and style there wasn't really an influence from BIT.TRIP except for the confidence that if those games were awesome and well-received, there was a chance that Waveform would be as well. The development of Waveform began back in 2009, a little bit after BIT.TRIP BEAT came out but before I had the chance to play it later that year. It's a bit funny that they managed to release a whole series of games before I've finished one, but it is my first game and it's mainly only been me working on it, so I suppose that's understandable Smiley

Although it may be surprising since Waveform doesn't really resemble them, two games that inspired me to make Waveform were Auditorium (www.playauditorium.com) and Art Style: ORBIENT (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fFYnXqO1FoMojdvEC9JtQ4B2fRlLX6jI) since both had a simple, but stylish, aesthetic and a single gameplay mechanic that was inspired by math.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:11:48 PM »

Looks like an interesting game with a lot of different gameplay elements, I'm assuming you control the waveform shape with the mouse somehow and this changes how the waveform rider moves?
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

That's exactly right Udderdude. The whole game is controlled with only the left mouse button. Drag it up and down to increase and decrease amplitude, and drag it right and left to increase and decrease wavelength.

You modify the path to allow you (as the ball of light at the left edge of the wave) to collect Light Orbs, avoid obstacles, and interact with the other objects you see in the game like mirrors and wormholes.

And I'm glad you noticed all of the different gameplay elements! There's 100+ levels in the game, and on average every 5 levels or so introduces a new object to the mix, so things are constantly changing and evolving.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »

And I'm glad you noticed all of the different gameplay elements! There's 100+ levels in the game, and on average every 5 levels or so introduces a new object to the mix, so things are constantly changing and evolving.

You're doing it right. :O
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »

You're doing it right. :O

Thanks Smiley

Also Waveform just received its first review! It's in Spanish, and is kind of a small site. But hey, 9.3/10 ain't bad Smiley http://www.tierragamer.com/index.php/review/waveform/

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »

That's fantastic dude! I found Orbient in an import games shop somewhere in downtown LA, and fell in love with it as a portable title. Will Waveform be coming to smart phones? I'd really love a simple mechanic game like this for on the go. Smiley And congrats on the first review!

Oh, and please please PLEASE submit this to IndieCade, tomorrow is the deadline for early registration! (Feb 29th) I think you'd have a really good chance at going far with this if those are the influences :D
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »

Thanks Blink! And yeah I do plan on porting it to smart phones, as soon as I can find the time. I'm the only programmer, so it takes a while to get anything done. And actually I don't have a Mac or an iPhone or anything, so I'm hoping if the Steam release of Waveform is successful enough I can divert some revenue into purchasing that hardware and making those parts.

And yeah, Indiecade. Thanks for reminding me. I suppose I should enter, although for some reason Waveform never does well at those things. But I guess the fee is only $50, guess it can't hurt Smiley

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »

Define "doing well" Tongue I think if you push it right, you can get all kinds of media attention at these events - just be forward about it, be proud of your game! I may have yet to play it >> but the trailer alone has caught my eye, so I'd be assertive about advertising it if I were you. And don't forget about us Android users or the 3DS market! :D
EdenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »

Well the usual result is I send it off, it disappears into a void, and I never hear anything back from them Smiley

That's for the contest though, I wasn't able to attend the festival so I can't really comment on that.

And yeah I'm not forgetting about Android or 3DS! I do own an Android so I'd like to port it to that. And 3DS...well I don't know about that one. Nintendo is super strict. Despite the fact that I did the AI programming on Luigi's Mansion 2 and worked with a lot of them directly, NOA handles the applications for 3DS development (since I'm in north america), and not NCL in Japan, who I have relationships with. I actually tried getting Waveform on WiiWare, which I thought would be a no-brainer since at that time I had shipped 3 Wii titles, one of them being Mario Strikers: Charged, again directly for Nintendo. But they slammed the door in my face fast.

So although I'd love to get on 3DS, I'm not holding my breath on that one Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic