Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411914 Posts in 69430 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 09:45:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNew 2 Player game '2P S.A.H'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New 2 Player game '2P S.A.H'  (Read 1384 times)
crudepixel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:55:57 AM »

Hello - I'd like to share my new game 2P S.A.H

It's a cross between asteroids and air hockey, a single computer 2player competitive 'sports' game built in Construct 2.

Here's a trailer:

The game can be played here: (It runs best in Chrome, about 10x faster)
http://www.crudepixel.com/Studio/2PSAH/index.html

Let me know what you think! It's very much a first pass if people like it, I think I'll make a 'real' version of it in Unity with gamepad support, netplay and a co-op mode.

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:42:49 AM by crudepixel » Logged
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »

I'm guessing it's 2 player local, in which case, I'd much rather see it looking like fun to play before convincing one of my friends to give it a try with me. I don't want to waste both of our times with something if I don't know myself first that it's fun... and the trailer doesn't convince me of it. I got 30 seconds in and found myself confused as to why it looked so slow.

It is probably fun, but I can't get to that point personally yet! With something that involves asking for another human being to join me, I need to know it's fun first. That could come from reviews, a good looking trailer, or a good single player mode - but the trailer didn't do it for me right now, and I did not see any other elements encouraging it.

Yes it's preliminary, but this stuff still matters - at least, if you want to sell your game or get lots of people to play it. If you don't want either of those things, please disregard my post. Regardless, congrats on having something to the point where you're sharing it publicly! Here's a reply to your topic, because you deserve that at the least Smiley
crudepixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:37 AM »

lol was that a pity comment? haha - I know it's pretty shitty but it can be a laugh, it's my first game and my friends are having fun with it so I thought I'd just chuck it out there.

Not done a trailer before but I was thinking last night it's way to long, it should just be all action gameplay but the first 30 seconds I tried to clearly show the basic mechanics before going into real gameplay.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:56:42 AM by crudepixel » Logged
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Bah, I don't want explanations in my trailers - I want to be curious! Information is for instructional videos, a trailer should catch my eye.

And no, I did not mean to make a pity comment! I am sorry if I came off that way, I read an interesting article recently about the idea of getting friends to use a service, and how first you have to convince a single player that the game is fun before their friends jump onboard, so I wanted to communicate that.

The last part was just because I always think a reply is better than no reply, since the industry is all about feedback, but I wanted to make sure you also knew I wasn't so unhappy that I was posting just to complain. This was just meant to share my thoughts, which were just not-yet-sold on the idea
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »

I didn't have the chance to try it with someone else, but I fiddled with it by myself a little. It feels extremely slow, have you tried speeding the gameplay up a little? I had this problem with my early games that I tended to make the physics very floaty and slow. It always seemed fine to me, but after I changed it on peoples' request I have never gone back to the floaty physics Smiley

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »

The "intro" (first 3 seconds) of the game is quite nice you could add it to the trailer. It gives the feeling of a more finished game. Then remove the first 40 seconds of the trailer.

Unfortunately, as many of us, I'm alone in front of my PC, so a simple AI would have been nice, or a solo mode. So I couldn't test the gameplay... But I note the game seems quite polished (in its own pixel-black-and-white style : )

After this experience, would you tell "Construct 2" a good choice for making HTML5 games ?

crudepixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:03 AM »

The "intro" (first 3 seconds) of the game is quite nice you could add it to the trailer. It gives the feeling of a more finished game. Then remove the first 40 seconds of the trailer.

Unfortunately, as many of us, I'm alone in front of my PC, so a simple AI would have been nice, or a solo mode. So I couldn't test the gameplay... But I note the game seems quite polished (in its own pixel-black-and-white style : )

After this experience, would you tell "Construct 2" a good choice for making HTML5 games ?

Cheers - well Construct 2 is still very much in development. Performance varies wildly between browsers and there's no controller support and very poor audio support. Most of this is due to the fact that each browser behaves very differently, Firefox for example does not support looping audio files.

Once Scirra unify the experience across the main platforms then Construct 2 will be worth using. For now though I use Construct to prototype ideas (as it's lightning quick) but I'm porting S.A.H over to Unity using 3rd party plugins such as Playmaker, RagePixel and the 2D Toolkit - with these plugins it makes Unity development quite similar to Construct - though it costs a bit.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:04:31 AM by crudepixel » Logged
crudepixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:04 AM »

I agree - my attempt was to make controlling the ships tricky so that skill had to develop between the players so that goals weren't so easily scored.

I'm remaking the game in Unity at the moment and the controls are much tighter and the speed is much faster - it's a lot better. Smiley

I'm also making a solo, coop and 4 player modes with full controller support and editable bindings. - I'd like to do network play but I have no idea where to start developing network games.

I didn't have the chance to try it with someone else, but I fiddled with it by myself a little. It feels extremely slow, have you tried speeding the gameplay up a little? I had this problem with my early games that I tended to make the physics very floaty and slow. It always seemed fine to me, but after I changed it on peoples' request I have never gone back to the floaty physics Smiley
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:54:56 AM »

I agree - my attempt was to make controlling the ships tricky so that skill had to develop between the players so that goals weren't so easily scored.

I'm remaking the game in Unity at the moment and the controls are much tighter and the speed is much faster - it's a lot better. Smiley

I'm also making a solo, coop and 4 player modes with full controller support and editable bindings. - I'd like to do network play but I have no idea where to start developing network games.

Great to hear that Smiley The game has potential and I'm curious to see it redone, although I'm not a fan of Unity.
Also my advice is: don't try to make a real-time action network game, not if it is your first attempt at networking. I managed to do it, but learning and coding the network part (granted it was C++) took me something around 150-200 hours, and it's still not perfect, just barely acceptable. And then imagine testing and bugfixing the whole thing Tongue

crudepixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:02:13 AM »

Yup that's why I'm not doing it, I'd need a 'real' programmer for that ha.

Great to hear that Smiley The game has potential and I'm curious to see it redone, although I'm not a fan of Unity.
Also my advice is: don't try to make a real-time action network game, not if it is your first attempt at networking. I managed to do it, but learning and coding the network part (granted it was C++) took me something around 150-200 hours, and it's still not perfect, just barely acceptable. And then imagine testing and bugfixing the whole thing Tongue
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic