Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoomRL 0.9.9.6
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.6  (Read 6083 times)
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

YES! Been waiting for this a long time. Goodbye productivity, hello DoomRL.  Hand Joystick Hand Any Key
Seriously, i hope this increases the player base manyfold, its one of the best roguelikes around.

Im also crossing my fingers for the AliensRL to become graphical and updated as well.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »

I like the tileset in this because it draws back to the inspiration source and plays off the memories of playing Doom originally.  A game like Brogue whose main source of inspiration is Rogue has no need of tilesets.  It's beautiful as is, in its own distinctive way and completely readable. So, too with DF (although it's not as beautiful as Brogue).
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »

Just the general feel of the game, I suppose. I feel like a good tileset would definitely make it even better. As is, it's great.

And you are wrong. So wrong.

how fucking stupid can you get

it's already the best looking roguelike, even among roguelikes with a tileset. there's no way a tileset would be able to look so awesome and colorful without becoming an unreadable mess.

I think he meant Dwarf Fortress, not DoomRL.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »

Well, he mentioned Dwarf Fortress, DoomRL, and Brogue in his original post about tilesets. And I think bobo was upset about Brogue.  But I could be wrong.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »

Got any tips for doomRL? First time playing today, got killed on the second floor by a chaingunner. Was pretty fun but I was wondering if there is any general advice for NOT DYING? Was playing on Hurt Me Plenty.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »

Well, he mentioned Dwarf Fortress, DoomRL, and Brogue in his original post about tilesets. And I think bobo was upset about Brogue.  But I could be wrong.

he meant brogue
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:24:37 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

mm sure thx. almost beat a hell room(?) killed two cacodemons then a dang flying skull killed me.

loving this game though

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

oops sorry i was replying to fallsburg
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »

oh god this game is intense and hilarious fun

got to floor 7 at best. fun stuff using the rocket launcher

iffi
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

Back in version 0.9.9.4 I beat the game once on the easiest difficulty, almost exclusively using various shotguns (potentially a spoiler if you're not familiar with the original Doom). I've almost beaten the game on the second easiest difficulty, but I screwed up just a few levels before final victory.

What sort of weapon/trait builds do you guys use? I used to always focus on shotgun-related skills, except when doing challenges that prohibit shotguns, but to vary things a bit I've been trying chaingun-focused builds lately.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »

I find the shotgun really satisfying, so I've been going with that plus the reloader/shotgunner traits. backing them up with the +10hp trait mainly.

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »

Got any tips for doomRL? First time playing today, got killed on the second floor by a chaingunner. Was pretty fun but I was wondering if there is any general advice for NOT DYING? Was playing on Hurt Me Plenty.

Try strafing, just like in the doom fps. If you zig zag as fighting an enemy, theres a chance it might miss when shooting you. So alternate shooting / reloading / moving. That and corner shooting (using a corner or doorway as partial cover). Some perks let you reload shotguns while moving, so you can strafe and reload at the same time. Also remember you can run, which can be useful to get away in a pinch from a hairy situation.
Spouting quotes from the doom comic out loud also helps

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
iffi
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »

I find the shotgun really satisfying, so I've been going with that plus the reloader/shotgunner traits. backing them up with the +10hp trait mainly.
The reloader trait is the best thing ever, especially if you manage to lay your hands on a double shotgun.
Edit: I meant shottyman. But reloader's great as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:21:04 PM by iffi » Logged
Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »

It really is. As you get better, you won't need to rely on it/shottyman as much, but I'd say that you should always get at least a single rank of it if you're planning on using shotguns anywhere towards the end. (two pretty much guarantees safe cornershooting most of the time, but one + rocket launcher/melee finish(with appropiate build) is what I do nowadays)

Also shell boxes.

indy games are a bull shit
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »

This game is pretty groovy. I haven't got past floor 7 yet, but I'm having a lot of fun going around with a shotgun blasting everything up in hell's arena.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »

Ok, having finally spent a bit of time with the game, here are my thoughts:

1) It is a great recreation of Doom in a roguelike setting.
2) (1) makes it a terrible roguelike. The lack of hidden knowledge (other than level layouts) and a hunger mechanic detract from the experience.
3) The tactical combat is perhaps the best that I have ever encountered in a roguelike.
4) While I like the way leveling is handled, I wish there was no leveling.  I would prefer to see more classes at the beginning.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »

tbh the class system in the new version feels a bit tacked on to me (older versions just had the traits).
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »

i think given a lot more thought and more effect on the trait system, the classes could be great, but for now i just pick the top one and get on with it.

the trait system is awesome, i always prefer it to standard stat-based levelling systems.

Gguo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

Played almost over 40 hour. beated 4 times including A100 challenge.

Completely ruined my productivity! Too addictive!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »

Just started playing this. Pretty awesome so far.

The game saves on quit right? I lost my last game but it might have been because I closed the game rather than quit through the menu.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic