Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:52:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[FINISHED] Plebian Evil - NES Castlevania-esque
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Plebian Evil - NES Castlevania-esque  (Read 16620 times)
rbelmont000
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »

Well, this is my first real entry into a competition on TIGSource. I tried to do something for the Procedural Generation one, but I couldn't think of ANYTHING (I did come up with a fairly neat dungeon and overworld generator though). Anyway, I love retro games, so this was right up my alley.

My plan is to make a demake of Resident Evil 4, Castlevania-style. It's going to have NES music (By me and my friend, and another 4cr writer, Megashaun), graphics (by me), and sound (courtesy of sfxr).

August 6

Right now, there's not much to the game. I have the basic movement system done and some graphics.

Here's a screen:

And a video:

Hopefully I'll have a demo ready in about a week.

August 31

I have had a lot of problems with this game, unfortunately, and it had to be shortened and simplified a lot.

But at least I finished it! I present you with Plebian Evil 4!

Controls:

A - jump
S - knife
S+down - Shoot

The main thing I wanted to keep in this version of the game, is the need to switch between the gun and the knife. The gun can kill very few enemies, and the knife can hurt all of them. For the most part though, shooting an enemy to stun it, then knifing it will do the most damage.

Plebian Evil 4
Plebian Evil 4 Vista
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:56:04 PM by rbelmont000 » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

Movement looks a bit erratic in that video.  I do quite like the colour-palette though; the grass looks so lush and leafy Smiley
rbelmont000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »

Alright, so I never got a demo finished. I have been extremely busy these past few weeks, and unfortunately, it won't be letting up before the competition. Because of this, I had to shorten the game by an extreme amount, and only make very few levels.

Anyway, here is a little preview of the game:

Click here to view full-size image
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:55 PM »

RE4 as a platformer? Lookin good. I"ll be sure to check this one out when the Compo is over  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
rbelmont000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »

Plebian Evil 4 is finally done! It's not as complete or awesome as I hoped, but it's still playable.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »

Those graphics look great, I can't wait to play it Kiss

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »

This looks and plays (and naturally sounds) just like a Castlevania game should.  But I guess I'm a little confused as to why the player is only three feet tall.

Also, are those guys that shoot fire at you while you're on a ladder some sort of sadistic joke, or are they just unintentionally the most annoying thing you've ever done? Angry

tweet tweet @j_younger
UltraJMan
Level 0

Get some!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:58:33 AM »

It's fun, but tough as tacks, I keep walking off ledges forgetting how unforgiving NES ledges were by being tinier than they appear. Either way I'm at 1-2 now, off to try and not die some more.

EDIT: the main boss of the game is a very very very mean hearted creature and deserves it's own circle in hell, I managed to beat it though. Fun game, but once again tougher than overcooked steak D:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:27:18 AM by UltraJMan » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:17 PM »

Wow awesome game. this game would look right at its place on a sega master system.
Perfect graphics for a demake!
As for the game it's very well done, very addictive although a bit hard.
That's a lot of work you did there well done.
FUN FACT: I didn't know how to use the gun so I finished the game without it Evil
It's only after defeating boss2, while waiting for something to happen that I accidentally fired while pressing down DOH!
Also I'm not sure how I defeated boss 1 it was such a big mess.
Grrrrreat entry Tiger! Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:02:39 AM »

Hehe great game! The difficulty level felt very true to the NES era (in other words, unforgiving).

I'm not sure if the music works with the competition rules, though? It's not remade or demade or anything, compared to the MIDIs on VGMusic.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 06:54:43 AM »

So awesome. And HARD. Shocked

Love the music. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 07:08:32 AM »

I love Resident Evil and I love Castlevania, specially the old Castlevanias before the action RPG. It was super fun but I was confused why Resident Evil had Castlevania music. But that's not a big problem, the game was good. Good Job  Beer!

Also, Leon is a midget.  Gentleman What's not to love?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic