Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411475 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 01:59:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC Week Events SuperThread!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: GDC Week Events SuperThread!!  (Read 8075 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

nooo, I have class the night of the art jam D:

Fuck class.
FrostedSentry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »

nooo, I have class the night of the art jam D:

Fuck class.

this

David McGraw ∴ Twitter
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »

There Will Be Jogging
https://twitter.com/#!/ADAMATOMIC/status/174953535518150657

Each day, 8am, 4th & Market

Also, board games in the morning. I forget whether or not you need a GDC badge to get into the 2nd floor lobby of Moscone West.

https://twitter.com/#!/IanSchreiber/status/175672260236025856

7am each day (though in his words, "depends on how well I sleep")

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 02:57:09 AM »

PS Awesome thread, phubster.  Gentleman

I aim to please! Well, hello there!

Yeah, thirding this. Don't be a Xion! You only get to see these people maybe once a year! No No NO Hand Shake Right

ntdb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 05:48:55 AM »

This'll be my first time in San Fran, where does everyone go to eat?  Hand Fork LeftEpilepticHand Knife Right

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »

That's a good question. When I lived in San Francisco, I didn't eat much in that part of town, but I know this Indian restaurant is pretty good, and cheap, too.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »

Here is a simple map I've created to help friends from out of town who are coming to San Francisco:

The Mission district has some pretty good eats; I would recommend checking it out if you don't mind making the trip. It's not terribly far, and there's a number of ways to get there; bus, BART, and even walking, which would probably take around 20-30 minutes. I remember taking the Scandinavians there last year, meaning to go to this vegetarian sushi restaurant but ending up finding this really amazing Falafel place. You really can't lose. They've got everything ranging from Mexican, Pizza, Sushi, Vegetarian, Mediterranean, and much more.

There's some restaurants on Mission Street itself, but I think most of the best ones are on Mission St's parallel, Valencia. You'll probably want to start at 16th and explore down to 21st on Valencia; it's pretty much nothing but amazing food for those five blocks. Anyways, I'm a little biased because I'm vegetarian, but here are some of my favorite spots in the area:

Ali Baba's Cave - This is the Mediterranean place I spoke of, where you can get one of the best Falafel wraps I've ever tasted, with everything in it, over a foot long, and for around $6 USD. They even take credit card. They also have lamb, beef, and chicken options. Highly recommended.

Herbivore - This place might just change your mind about vegetarian & vegan cuisine, omnivores! This place is seriously really good, and even non-vegetarians will enjoy it (I've taken plenty there, and they always do). I recommend getting the Chicken Shwarma Wrap (of course it's not real chicken!) Their prices are usually around $10 - $12 per person.

Cha-Ya Vegetarian Japanese Restaurant - Well this is weird! Rarely do you see this combination, but if you're a vegetarian and really in the mood for sushi, then this place is for you! They make some really good vegetarian rolls and they also have a variety of other things, so check them out if you're vegetarian... You might even like it if you're not Smiley You might spend anywhere from $10 - $20 per person here.

Other than that, there are plenty of other options, but those three are my best recommendations for the Mission!

If you're in the market for something closer to GDC, but in a slightly more "interesting" neighborhood, you might want to check out the following places in the Tenderloin:

Lahore Karahi Indian - This is one of the better Indian restaurants I've eaten at in San Francisco. It's not just for vegetarians, either! Plenty of great dishes to please anything. The only downside (not sure if this still applies; I haven't been there in a while) is that you might be waiting a while for your food.

El Tesoro Taqueria & Grill - This was one of my favorite Mexican Taquerias back when I hung out in this area. I mean, I'd go there today if I ever found myself in that part of town and in the mood for a burrito or taco salad. They're pretty inexpensive and the food is great. Very recommended.

Osha Thai Noodle House - I used to eat here with my friends. They really seemed to like it; I don't remember it being amazing or exceptional (I've long found infinitely better Thai restaurants, but they're much further away), but you might enjoy eating here. It's good for groups; it's more of a social kind of place with pretty decent Thai food.

Golden Era Vegetarian - One more for the vegetarians! This place is really amazing. Their fake meats will rock your socks off. If you go here, be sure to check out their crispy Lemongrass Chicken; it's insanely good and almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Served with broccoli and brown rice; probably one of the healthiest options mentioned so far. On the downside, this place tends to be a little expensive.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 01:06:48 PM »

If you're taking a trip down to the mission, I heartily recommend La Taqueria, which serves the best quesadillas I've ever eaten. I'm sure I'll eat there at least once, even though it's quite a trip from the Moscone Center.

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »

This is a great thread Paul!  I think it's especially helpful for those first time GDC goers who aren't sure what to do after hours. 

Also, while I'm not a vegan, I have been to Cha-Ya in Berkeley and their vegan chocolate cake was surprisingly better than any non-vegan chocolate cake I've ever eaten.  So I second your suggestion^^

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »

The fuck, why are all conferences the same week in march?

We're super busy demoing at a conference in SF for work next week (launch), so I can't attend any event. Sucks. Have fun, people!
zovirl
Level 1

Mark Ivey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »

This'll be my first time in San Fran, where does everyone go to eat?  Hand Fork LeftEpilepticHand Knife Right

There's a Whole Foods a couple blocks from Moscone if you want salad bar type foods. 4th and Harrison:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=whole+foods&hl=en&sll=37.782655,-122.399712&sspn=0.009853,0.021136&hq=whole+foods&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

Alaskan Runway, a side-scrolling flight sim I'm working on.
Forest, a walking meditation game. (behind the scenes)
www.zovirl.com
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

In terms of pizza, the best I've ever had is Emilia's in Berekely and Delfina in SF (Mission).
NotHere
Level 0

jelly bean

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »

I don't hang out here enough, hope I get a chance to meet some of you in person!

Also kind of sucky that so many Tuesday events are overlapping :X
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »

I'm going to GDC on Thursday! I will hang out at Denny's for the art jam that night. If there is anything else going on around lunch, I am down.

NotHere
Level 0

jelly bean

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »

Hmm... the IGDA party line is freaking huge. And it'll take me an hour to walk to Haight st from Moscone. O_O
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »

Woo, done with work for the week. Will be up there tomorrow morning.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »

Anything going on after the IGDA party? We're at the Touch Arcade party (which is packed FYI) and would up for getting something together.
NotHere
Level 0

jelly bean

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »

I went to the IGDA party. It was really packed and had tables for card games and board games, but otherwise didn't seem very interesting. I'm already on the train, maybe I'll meet some of you tomorrow.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:06 AM »

Just wanted to be the first to say, POW was a sick show and you should all go back in time to be there. Sorry I couldn't make it to 4am, Haight St is just too far out of the way. Hopefully the beer-drinking rate was not adversely affected.

Game on!

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Chris Pavia
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »

Went to the IGDA party but didn't care for it so I walked over to POW. Spent way too much money on a booth and bottle service, but loved meeting everyone and had an amazing time. Notch was like a mob boss sitting in a corner booth surrounded by his entourage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic