Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:41:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 782497 times)
RynnZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: May 19, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »

It does, but I don't have a great way of distributing beta builds to people yet. Tigsource only lets you PM 10 people at a time, so I think I missed people the last time around who volunteered for testing. What I'll probably end up doing is making an email list that can be used for distributing beta builds and feedback.

Soooo.... Should I PM you my email? :D
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2361 on: May 19, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

Oh, even the testers have to pay the 5 bucks? In that case, leave me out.

You just want to play it for free Tongue

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 19, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »

The google result for this thread just dropped to the last one on the search page. Anyone know why?
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 19, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »

Notch-hype ended I suppose
Muzuh
Level 0

Jungle Man!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2364 on: May 19, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »

I would also like to beta test. Loving the game so far. Very simple yet creative.

Andar en bicicleta! I speaka duh espanola!
Harkulka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 20, 2013, 12:59:24 AM »

I'm down for testing if i got the opportunity.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 20, 2013, 02:48:32 AM »

The google result for this thread just dropped to the last one on the search page. Anyone know why?
Um not for me...

Delver is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                 Smiley
aetherX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:02 AM »

I feel a little stupid asking, but what do the potions that say "You feel warm" and "You feel arcane" and such actually do?

Also, I ended up with 4 red potions at one point, and drank all of them at once; the first three healed me but the last poisoned me.

Could someone enlighten me?

Potions are really fun. There are 6 colours and each colour does a different thing every playthrough. Here's the list of what they can do:

• Two are edible, which is labelled and is healing over time. "You feel warm" is this
  • One makes you feel arcane. This restores MP which does nothing and isn't shown.
  • One burns. This inflicts poison on yourself.
  • One is a large health restore. You feel restored.
  • One is a heal+antidote. You feel better.

Thank you for making me feel less ignorant and stupid. I can't give you a cookie, so eat a banana and get your dopamine working.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 20, 2013, 05:26:14 AM »

Chad I think that someone needs to redo the website.  I can think of a lot of improvements for it.  Maybe for one add a purchase counter like there is on the Minecraft site.  You could also add like a news feed for Delver.  You could also add like a help page for new players, I know back when I started I could have used a new player guide for myself.

Smiley
Muzuh
Level 0

Jungle Man!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2369 on: May 20, 2013, 05:35:05 AM »

Chad I think that someone needs to redo the website.  I can think of a lot of improvements for it.  Maybe for one add a purchase counter like there is on the Minecraft site.  You could also add like a news feed for Delver.  You could also add like a help page for new players, I know back when I started I could have used a new player guide for myself.

Thinking that as well.

david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: May 20, 2013, 05:47:28 AM »

I’d like to propose a kind of magic system.

There are both MP and potions to replenish it and I think it could be used not to cast something like memorised spells, but to use a special magic items/artifacts. Here are three categories that could be used: orbs, rods and books.

Orbs should get a slot in inventory as armor and jewellery have. Maybe they could be worn in the off-hand slot? However, you can use only the orb in your slot and you cast the spell from it by pressing Space. It costs MP of course. As you can have only one orb at any time and you cannot change them quickly, you have to consider which one is the best for you. Some orbs could be like:
Orb of frost (2 MP for use): damages and stunes target for a second.
Orb of fireball (3 MP): fires a fireball which explodes on impact.
Orb of disjunction (5 MP): teleports target away.

Rods are basically wands that utilize your MP instead of charges. They could include:
Rod of poison (1 MP): nearly no damage, but poisons target.
Rod of lightning (2 MP)

Books are crossbreed between scrolls and wands. They have several charges, but their spells are not directly damging (mostly) or they have impact only on the close surroundings of the player.
Book of health
Book of fear: makes enemies flee.
Book of blizzard/inferno
Book of teleport
Book of might: gives you small damage boost to meele for a while.
Book of power: replenishes your MP.
david.vlach2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 20, 2013, 06:05:51 AM »

And two more questions: Are you planning to add cursed items once in the future? And the scrolls, will they be one day also unknown as potions (like 'violet ribboned scroll' Wink )?

Thanks for answering! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:14:17 AM by david.vlach2 » Logged
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:48 AM »

While I'm not sure if I want a full-blown magic system in the game, I'll add to your concept: The Euclydian Orb would let you fire storm wand blasts for 8 MP per shot, as it's the ultimate magic and you can use it to blaze through the rush back, as long as you have a stockpile of Arcane potions.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 20, 2013, 07:30:06 AM »

Maybe rather than leveling up and getting spells you could find them in the dungeon and then you could use mana to cast them.  I have played a game like this before and I have to say on it's rougelike feature it worked very well.  It had about 90% similarity to Delver so I think it would work well in a rouge-like such as Delver.

Smiley
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2374 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25:32 AM »

While I'm not sure if I want a full-blown magic system in the game, I'll add to your concept: The Euclydian Orb would let you fire storm wand blasts for 8 MP per shot, as it's the ultimate magic and you can use it to blaze through the rush back, as long as you have a stockpile of Arcane potions.

Here's what I have planned, roughly, for magic and offhand items:

Books: useable like wands, but they use mana instead of charges

Wands: More variation between types:
    Magic missile: small, quick, low damage, many charges
    Fire: low initial damage, large splash, ongoing fire damage
    Ice: large splash, low damage, slows enemies

Scrolls: Stat buffs / boosts

Offhand:
    Armor (shields): adds to AC
    Lights (lanterns): adjusts the player light radius / brightness / color
    Talismans: adjusts spells cast via books (adjusts damage, or mana cost)
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 20, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

Perhaps the Missle want could cast homing mussels or multiple missiles.  Most of the RPGs and Dungeon Crawlers I ever played had missiles that homed or there were two or three of them.  For the off hand shields perhaps you could right click and block with it rather then making it like another armor piece.

Smiley
Zoju
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »

It's more complicated than that. For a reactionary shield system, the graphics of a monster have to show that it's attacking so the player can react to it (that's partly why the similar system failed somewhat in Minecraft). That can be done, but still, you have to balance it out that you can't block everything. Maybe you can never block an attack fully, but you can only get the benefits of the shield's AC when you hold it up.
It has to be thought out well.

I'm also not sure that lanterns are a good idea just for brightness while there are off-hands that give you combat bonuses. It'd make players have to switch back and forth. How about adding this to jewelry? They could have this property (adding a light around the player) in addition to their other bonuses, making them even more valuable.

Another thing: I remember playing Delver with a mod that added different weapon types, hammers and stuff. That would be fun.
ninja
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »

Well some monsters do have attack animations but maybe it could be like you can block for whatever time you like but it only reduces a certain % of the damage.  I also see you said that you wanted players to switch back and forth but that eliminates the purpose of an off hand item.  An of hand item is the item that is generally held in a persons left hand, while the weapon is held in the right.

Smiley
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2378 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »

Look at all these people who registered just for this really small, wonderful game.  Wink

Muzuh
Level 0

Jungle Man!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2379 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »

Look at all these people who registered just for this really small, wonderful game.  Wink

I think we all know that this game might get big.

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic