Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:30:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 782974 times)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3120 on: December 11, 2013, 03:59:05 PM »

Wheres the rogue in it? It's impossible to die! Game looks great, but that's all. It's a kids game and direspectful to those who expect it to have a minimal game design. The definition of this game is nothing but a completely useless piece of trash.

The game is a bit on the easy side right now, so far the main criticism with the stats system is that pumping all of the upgrade points into health is too viable as a stategy. Health should probably just increase every level at a slow but steady rate and make the player choose what else to upgrade.
premonster
« Reply #3121 on: December 11, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

Wheres the rogue in it? It's impossible to die! Game looks great, but that's all. It's a kids game and direspectful to those who expect it to have a minimal game design. The definition of this game is nothing but a completely useless piece of trash.

The game is a bit on the easy side right now, so far the main criticism with the stats system is that pumping all of the upgrade points into health is too viable as a stategy. Health should probably just increase every level at a slow but steady rate and make the player choose what else to upgrade.

Ok, i was rude, but that's because i felt cheated and scammed. I've paid real money for it, i dont have to make a better game to have a valid point.

And the health upgrade is not the problem. As i said, the game needs a huge redesign. Look at my gameplay:

• Start the game, it's all great and atmospheric, although i had to move away from the screen to read any text, everytime.
  • Enter dungeon. First impression: too empty and small, feels like it's all corridors. Loot all over the ground, no CHESTS (i LOVE finding loot chests). The loot just looks like garbage someone else threw away.
  • Go to level 3 dungeon in about 30 minutes, killing every mob extremely easily. Never i got challenged by the game. I was thinking that when i die i would restart at the camp with my loot and grind back like in Rogue Legacy. But i never got to die. In fact, enemies barely hit me at all.
  • I didn't want to go all the way back to the camp to change my loot, so i went on until i COULD NOT proceed in the dungeon anymore. Reason? A teleport trap was blocking the only tile i could walk on to keep going, sending me back to the start of the level everytime. Why exactly traps get activated more than once?

The dungeon need multiple paths and small puzzles from time to time. The game experience as it is now, is pointless, on rails and dumb.

Vlambeer's early access on Nuclear Throne streams twice a week on Twitch and updates the game every weekend. That's why people buy early access games, to watch them get good. I expect you guys to fix the game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:09:08 PM by premonster » Logged
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3122 on: December 11, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »

And the health upgrade is not the problem. As i said, the game needs a huge redesign. Look at my gameplay:

• Start the game, it's all great and atmospheric, although i had to move away from the screen to read any text, everytime.
  • Enter dungeon. First impression: too empty and small, feels like it's all corridors. Loot all over the ground, no CHESTS (i LOVE finding loot chests). The loot just looks like garbage someone else threw away.
  • Go to level 3 dungeon in about 30 minutes, killing every mob extremely easily. Never i got challenged by the game. I was thinking that when i die i would restart at the camp with my loot and grind back like in Rogue Legacy. But i never got to die.
  • I didn't want to go all the way back to the camp to change my loot, so i went on until i COULD NOT proceed in the dungeon anymore. Reason? A teleport trap was blocking the only tile i could walk on to keep going, sending me back to the start of the level everytime. RAGEQUIT out of crap game design and forum flame.

Good feedback, nice to hear your first thoughts. Hopefully we're moving in the right direction:

1) Text size should scale down better depending on starting screen size, may be a bit too chunky at the moment as well.

2) Chests and breakable containers are on my list of stuff to add as well, everyone likes to bust stuff open.

3) Mobs need to get some unique attacks and behaviors to make them more unpredictable in combat, I'd also like to add in miniboss mobs that show up once a level or two to provide more of a challenge than normal mobs.

4) There are ways around those teleport traps, but I need to find a way to teach people how traps work better. Traps can be triggered by just about anything going over the top of them, and they have a reset timer before they can be activated again.

A tutorial starting dungeon area that players see the first time they go in could help, would be a good place for people to play around with things like that in a smaller setting, and not have to walk all the way back through a level Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:18:01 PM by Interrupt » Logged
premonster
« Reply #3123 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »

Are you updating the game every week? Is there a stream? How can we keep track of it?

Making games is hard as fuck, but you seem to know the game is dull right now and how to fix it, so there's still hope.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:31:30 PM by premonster » Logged
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3124 on: December 11, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »

I guess I could stream some Delver Art on Twitch. Stop by and say hello.

Echelon5
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:28 AM »

Making games is hard as fuck, but you seem to know the game is dull right now and how to fix it, so there's still hope.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything like that, but I really think you need to calm down a bit, take a step back, and look at what you are losing your mind over.

You also speak as though your opinion is some kind of universal truth. I don't think Delver is "dull" at all, in fact it's one of the best indie games I've played in AGES. Sure, it could use some improvement, but don't curse the thing as if it personally offended you, that's ridiculous. And many of your complaints are simply matters of personal taste or simple things that you failed to realize, such as getting stuck in the hallway with the teleportation trap.

Did you know you can toss anything onto the trap to trigger it, then run over it before it resets? You can do that with any trap. You can lure enemies onto the trap. You can throw stuff from your inventory or just pick up a nearby bone and do it. You weren't stuck, but in your frankly needless amount of blood curdling fury you failed to realize it.

Basically, I think you should probably just chill. Delver is fine, and is on its way to being better.
premonster
« Reply #3126 on: December 12, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »

And many of your complaints are simply matters of personal taste or simple things that you failed to realize, such as getting stuck in the hallway with the teleportation trap.

Basically, I think you should probably just chill. Delver is fine, and is on its way to being better.

It's not like i wanted to keep going in-game anyway. But you're right, i'll chill. I just feel so involved with the community i couldn't possibly let this go, i get passionate.

Don't forget i love the devs, it has one of the most inspiring art i've seen and Interrupt is a coding wizard. They already have made a great job getting this far with Delver, but i wanna see more. It can be much more.

And the art stream is a nice idea!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:10:43 AM by premonster » Logged
Skizomeuh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3127 on: December 12, 2013, 08:28:43 AM »

Did anyone try to play with a gamepad?

I just launched the game with my X360 wireless pad on but no response. It may just be a indentity problem, wireless pads don't share the same name as the wired ones. It could the same issue Stranger's Wrath HD had when it launched, please check this thread : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726094

Hope it'll help.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3128 on: December 12, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

I guess I could stream some Delver Art on Twitch. Stop by and say hello.

Aw man you finally streamed again and I totally missed it. It looks like twitch didn't save the video either, what's up with that?

I should stream some of my work sometime, when I'm doing something fun to watch like making level pieces and not when I'm fixing collision bugs Smiley
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3129 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »

You didn't miss too much, only finished a couple of assets. I need to figure out a better streaming setup, one where I can work without too much lag.

I've been in a creative funk lately. Anyone have tips on breaking out of it?

Echelon5
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »

I should stream some of my work sometime, when I'm doing something fun to watch like making level pieces and not when I'm fixing collision bugs Smiley

That sounds cool!
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3131 on: December 12, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »

Did anyone try to play with a gamepad?

I just launched the game with my X360 wireless pad on but no response. It may just be a indentity problem, wireless pads don't share the same name as the wired ones. It could the same issue Stranger's Wrath HD had when it launched, please check this thread : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726094

Hope it'll help.

My test to check for Xbox controllers is to just look for some occurrence of either "microsoft", "xbox", or "360" in the name somewhere, so even the wireless one should be getting picked up. Someone on the Steam forums mentioned that they could only use their gamepad in windowed mode, so that's something weird I need to check out.
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 12, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »

Just tried that, after going in to full screen mode the xbox control doesn't work even when you go back windowed mode.

Oh while on the topic of the controller input, why is the left trigger attack? Right trigger is the standard for primary fire. Maybe both could be attack? Doesn't seem like the right trigger does anything right now anyway.
Colin T.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3133 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

I finally got the orb back to the surface! :D :D :D

I'm still playing the old version because I'm on Android but I watched a playthrough of the new version and it looks great! I was nervous about the new art because I like the old look of the dungeon so much, but now I can't wait for the new version. The increased realism of the new character designs is a big improvement for me -- I like the old designs but they're a little too abstract to engage me as monsters/villains.

I like the idea mentioned upthread of maybe having health increase automatically again and leaving the other upgrades to choice.

And in case I haven't mentioned it before, I love the soundtrack! It reminds me a little of the music for Tenchu, which I enjoyed back when.
TheNite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: December 13, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Started working on some various floor ideas, which ones should I focus on finishing?

Starting with my personal favorite, the lava ruins bridge thingy. This is sort of based off the first section of the boss floor. It is made up of huge tunnels with a three block wide bridge through open caves and castle ruins. I really like how these turned out, and they are easy to make. This will probably be the one I finish first.

Image 1, Image 2, Image 3.

Next is the forest bandit camp, I stopped working on this one because DelvEdit doesn't save turned tiles, so the paths would look weird. This would be a forest with caves and bandit camps. This picture really doesn't do what it could look like justice. :p

Image.

The outdoor castle wall, these tiles would follow the outer wall of a castle, and the forest beside it. There would be paths going into the castle itself, small storage shacks in the forests, and walls taken down in battle. Again, DelvEdit doesn't save turned tiles so I stopped working on it. This is the coolest idea IMO, and I want to expand upon it next. As with the image above, this is taken in DelvEdit so it will look bad and it barely shows what can be done with this idea.

Image.

The mines would be similar to the caves but with rails scattered around. I didn't really experiment that much with this floor, maybe because it is a bit to similar to the caves floor and adding rails and wooden frames holding up won't fix really fix that. Another bad image.

Image.

The underground / deep jungle, inspired by that Spelunky floor I'll never make it past. This single tile took nearly two hours, so I really didn't want to make anymore. I imagine plant enemies that can't move and shoot magic at the player would be really fun here.

Image.

The prison floor is a prison. Cells with ramblings made by psychopaths carved into the walls, dried blood on the floors, and a brightly glowing note because I was lazy and took the picture in DelvEdit. I want to expand this floor too, making custom decals for the prisoner's messages sounds fun. :D If this floor does get expanded, those torches won't be there. It looks more homey than I would like.

Image.

The caves but with deep pits and bridges floor, I don't like this one at all but I still wanted to throw the idea out there if anyone wants to try and improve it. This is just the caves with huge pits and narrow ledges. The bridge took forever to make and it still looks awkward. I don't think really narrow pathways would be much fun no matter how cool it looks (and this doesn't even look cool).

Image 1, Image 2.

Annnnnd thats it. The ones I like / the ones you guys like the most will be put into some sort of extended dungeon floors mod (along with the sewer tiles possibly). Here is a download to the ruins floor tiles if anyone wants to look at them and make their own. As always, you're welcome to use any of this for Delver, Interrupt. Smiley

(sorry for another gigantic post!)
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: December 13, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »

The lava ruins, forest bandit camp and jungle all look great and are all tile-sets I'd love to see in the game. Outdoor castle wall is hard to judge on that image but I do think it could be an interesting tile-set.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3136 on: December 13, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »

<cool modding stuff>

Great work! Is that using the latest Delvedit jar from Steam? I thought the trees not drawing properly was fixed in that one.

Those ruins tiles look pretty close to what the bottom two floors before the boss level will look like. They'll basically be a nice showcase for the lava, that's not used enough right now.

I do want to add in a few special cave tiles with trees in them and light shafts coming in from above, a whole dungeon set themed like that would be a cool mod Smiley
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3137 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

Cool! I really need to make some modular bridge pieces. :D

TheNite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 13, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »

@Leonick, Thanks! I'm working on a better example for the castle wall now. Smiley

@Interrupt, Yep, I'll try re-installing Delver later tonight to see if that fixes it. Any hint on when we'll be able to see the new floors?  Durr...?
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3139 on: December 13, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »

TheNite You need to do ALL THE TILES Evil

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic