Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:55:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 779624 times)
that-ben
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: April 08, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »

Got stuck in what seems like a square that should not be accessible and now I cannot get out! That's frustrating considering I'm near the end Sad

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3541 on: April 11, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »

just so everyone is aware
the game is still in development. Joshua Skelton posts updates on his twitter often. ive reminded him that this thread exists and that he should post an update soon. in the mean time i suggest tweeting at him.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaSkelly

RogueCarrot
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: April 12, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »

Hi, first post here!

A little work in progress preview of the updated map. What sort of things do you want from a game map?
An item hidden early in the dungeons at random that shows the location of all items and enemies currently known about. But it can be rare enough. And randomly choose what floor to put it on at game start. Also an item also randomly hidden that shows the entire map, but on a floor by floor basis and not always available on every floor. If not an item then a spell or something. Maybe one of the books you find so many of.

Do books have a real purpose right now? I think making them have special properties would be neat. Like in Dead Rising where keeping certain books in your inventory would give your weapons or abilities special buffs.

I just recently as of yesterday decided to delve (lol) back into this game to see if anything new happened. I'm really having so much fun with it. I hope it keeps being developed for a while. It just might become my new Spelunky.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3543 on: June 03, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »

Update!

Chad and I have been working on fleshing out the final area of Delver. Previously it was a single static level with no procedural generation at all. We are expanding it to two properly generated levels and a handcrafted arena at the end. I've been working on arting up the new area.

Since the Cold and Sewer areas I've been more carefully structuring how the assets are laid out. Previously we had one large image for all level geometry textures, and a handful of textures for all of the sprites and meshes. Now the directory structure (mostly) looks like:

Delver
├───meshes
│   ├───Area_0
│   │   ├───door_0.obj
│   │   ├───pillar_0.obj
│   │   ├───chain_0.obj
│   │   ├───whatever_0.obj
│   │   └───...
│   └───Area_1
│       └───...
└───textures
    ├───Area_0
    │   ├───meshes.obj
    │   ├───sprites.obj
    │   └───textures.obj
    └───Area_1
        └───...

When starting the art for the temple area I duplicated the assets from the Cold area, hooked it up in the data files, and began tweaking the palette to find a good fit. Currently I have a WIP texture sheet for the level and I've been working on meshes to dress up the level. This tends to be an iterative process as the textures inspire props, which inspire new textures.

The temple theme is inspired by Mesoamerican and Balinese designs. I'm still working on adding additional props and textures.

Suggestions and feedback are definitely welcome!

Chezzy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: June 05, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »

Looking great! It's good to hear Delver is still going strong. Of course it was said on Twitter a while ago that is was being worked on, but a post in this forum is very reassuring  Smiley

The new art looks great and I'm happy to hear the final level is going to be procedurally generated now. Since you've invited suggestions, there are just a few small things that would be great in the next update:

1. It would be great if the game didn't force a pause when you leveled up, but rather waited for you to choose a moment to spend a level point.
2. A few arrow bugs. Arrows that are found don't stack with arrows that are bought. Also, the arrow hitbox is a bit wonky, making the bow hard to use in narrow hallways.

Anyway, those are just some tiny nitpicks that hinder the experience (only slightly) for me, so them being addressed in some way would be a bonus. I'm just excited to see what happens next!

I also saw on your Twitter that you became a dad recently, so congrats on that, and I hope it's going well.  Beer!
michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3545 on: June 09, 2016, 02:51:35 AM »

I love the tileable spritework you did. Since you posted it on twitter I've really been inspired to work on my own stuff in that style. Combining tileable textures with Probuilder in Unity makes for very easy level building. 

Especially the rock wall with gold ore in it is very very nice.
Have you thought about making transitions tiles between 90 degree angles?
It feels a little off that the stone wall above the lava is grey while the floor tiles are rust coloured and the stonework isn't aligned. It may be overkill but I made tiles that transition between those things in my own attempts which you can see here.

jpgrandi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: July 05, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »

The game seems awesome, I got it during the Steam Sale...
But I can't even play it!  Sad I  get "OpenJDK Platform Binary stopped working" just a few seconds after I open the game. Did try opening it as Administrator but didn't work either. Is there anything I can do or I'll just have to wait for development to proceed?   
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3547 on: July 05, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »

What OS and JRE are you running? Any relevant info you can provide will help.

jpgrandi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: July 06, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »

What OS and JRE are you running? Any relevant info you can provide will help.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro; JRE is the latest one.
My specs are:
- Intel Core i5-3330
- Radeon R9 380 2gb
- 16gb of DDR3 RAM
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3549 on: July 08, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »

still super curious, from one really old fan to another, is the door in the cold thats locked ACTUALLY ACCESSIBLE? ive always wondered.

EDIT: the big, gilded one, if that helps at all to differentiate them lol

EDIT EDIT: the final level design looks great, :L its definitely a step up from what was previously there, as awesome as that stuff might be.

EDIT EDIT EDIT TO ADD ONTO THE TOPIC PRESENTED IN THE PREVIOUS EDIT: also, will there ever be any natural areas in the dungeon? i know of a mod that adds forests and stuff underground, i believe. (dunno, that might actually be canon stuff and im just being dumb, aha)

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: July 11, 2016, 08:35:10 AM »

I want to play this yesterday.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3551 on: July 11, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »

@ProgramGamer
Thank you for the kind words! We are available on early access, if you'd like to support us. We have been long between updates lately, but I will have a some interesting news on that next week.

@Connor
I'm glad you like the look of the final level. It is not finished yet, but I am slowly getting there. I think natural areas would be cool to add, but no plans right now for that.

Regarding the large door in the ice level, well it's a bit spoilery so stop reading now if you are opposed to that.

Still here? Cool.

Right now there is nothing behind it but a small Easter egg. I want to use it as a potential point of extending Delver, but I am not committing to anything right now that will increase the project's scope. My priority it so finish the content we've committed to, and polish it up as much as I can.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3552 on: July 11, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »

SPOILER:

haha, sweet so there IS something there. solid.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: July 11, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »

*gasp* Beautiful environments  Kiss

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3554 on: July 15, 2016, 08:55:56 PM »

Twitch Art Development Stream

Hey folks! I will be making art and other content for Delver this Sunday July 17th at 12pm PDT. Please stop to by chat, ask questions, or just hang out.

If you have anything you'd like to see me work on, just drop me a line: [email protected]

Hope you can drop by!

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3555 on: July 17, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »

I'm starting stream here in a few minutes. Come on by!

Chezzy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: July 20, 2016, 02:21:41 AM »

I missed the stream but the video was great. It's really cool to see the development so far, and also the process. Hopefully I'll catch it next time, timezones permitting Smiley
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3557 on: July 23, 2016, 07:12:49 PM »

Delver Development Stream - Sunday July 24th at 09:00 a.m. PDT

Hey folks! I thought that I would let you know I'll be streaming Delver development tomorrow. I also try to do a midweek bonus stream(time permitting). Following me on Twitter or Twitch is the best way to get notified when those are underway.

A big thanks to those who did stop by last week, and hopefully I'll see you tomorrow!

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3558 on: July 24, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »

The stream is up and going. Please stop on by!

Edit:
The stream is over. A big thank you to all who stopped by!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:09:08 AM by Joshua » Logged

andes-neumann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3559 on: July 24, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing the stream, looks fantastic!

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic