Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:59:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Your favorite scripting language
Poll
Question: What's your favorite scripting language to use in your games?
Python - 14 (28.6%)
Ruby - 5 (10.2%)
Lua - 22 (44.9%)
JavaScript (V8) - 7 (14.3%)
AngelScript - 1 (2%)
ChaiScript - 0 (0%)
Falcon - 0 (0%)
GameMonkey - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Your favorite scripting language  (Read 4312 times)
Revk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »

Python is really cool for erryday scripting and medium projects.
But my favorite is Lua. Really simple to integrate in a C program as a scripting language, and overall fantastic for games.  Kiss
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »

I'm a big Python fan, but I've always wondered why LUA is so famous. I may give it a try...

I've tried to give an answer there : http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/66590/why-python-and-not-lua

Basically, LUA is born to be embedded, Python is not (even if it's possible). That makes lot of language design decisions Lua have as advantage in case you want to use an embedded scripting language in some embedded devices like smartphones or consoles, or even when you just want a scripting language that is really fast. Python cannot challenge Lua on this because it's not it's point. However Python is a far better alternative when you primary concern is code clarity or simplicity (that is really important for scripting when the one scripting isn't a day to day coder).

Personally, I prefer:
 - Falcon for my "big" project: it's similar to Python or Ruby but it's made to be embedded in C++, making some decision close to lua.
 - ChaiScript : when I have to put an embedded language in a little game or prototype. the language isn't Pythonic like Falcon is, but it's the easiest to embedd in C++.
 - Lua when I work with high memory/speed constraints: On NintendoDS it runs fine and with really good speed. That said I don't like at all the too simplist lua syntax for projects that need more than calling functions. You can enhance the syntax but it's really not worth to me.

I never use Lua these days, so I guess Falcon and ChaiScript are my embedded languages of choice.

I like to work with Python for non-embedded work, like build system and other file manipulations.

That's why I don't understand the point of asking only for one choice in the poll. To me it always depends on the context.

Or is it that the question is only about the scripting language syntax?

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »

I hate how Lua doesn't have +=, -=, *=, etc operators. Ugh. I don't see a valid reason not to either, it just makes code more messy.

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »

I hate how Lua doesn't have +=, -=, *=, etc operators. Ugh. I don't see a valid reason not to either, it just makes code more messy.

I hated it too, but the reasons are for interpreter implementation simplicity.

x += y means add y to x
x = x + y means assign the value of x + y to x

After using the language for more than a year, I have to say that such minor annoyances don't even faze me, while the benefits are truly a boon for my development process.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

Years of using Javascript in the browser completely poisoned me against it; I HATE developing in the browser with a passion.  That said, working with Node recently has made me develop a greater appreciate for the language, it is quite capable.  If it had more capable scoping abilities ( data hiding specifically ), I would be quite happy with it.  It is a dangerous language though, wayyyyyyy to easy to create globals accidentally.

A while back I created a PlayN installer using Powershell, which is Microsoft's wierd mashup of BASH and .NET and my god is it sweet.  For system level scripting, I would use Powershell again in a heartbeat.
DareM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »

I was a big Python user on top of using C++ and C#.

Lately dynamic variable typing started really bothering me. I guess I am a clumsy developer and I need compiler to help me as much as possible with correct names, types and other stuff before I run the application.
I ended up embedding mono version of C#. If it's easier to work with, I'm not sure.

I guess commonly used scripting languages have pros and cons, pick one - get the job done.

Altitude0 - Arcade Plane Racing for Windows PC
http://www.altitude0.com
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic