Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:56:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146246 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »

Day 121
* Added new ground tile collision type (flying creatures like bats can now fly over holes, and archers can shoot over them but not walk over them)
* Optimized/Re-factored AI code. Changed the LOS to deal with new collision type.
* Added spikes that pop up out of the ground and damage players or enemies
* Added floor pressure plates which activate spikes

Pop!

I received some new level designs from Steve today which are extremely creative. I'm working to implementing a couple of them for the next in-dev build for pre-purchasers.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2012, 05:23:38 AM »

Day 122
* Added tile shadows
* Added wall torches
* Added doors that open the other way
* Added destructable chairs
* Added destructable tables

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »

This keeps getting better and better. Keep it up.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2012, 04:59:27 AM »

Day 124
* Added levers for spikes (make spikes go up and down with a lever)
* Tweaked UI again. Added health bars under portrait. Removed main one. Added new temporary skill icons (CC-BY Lorc).
* Implemented one of Steve's level designs (screenshot above)
* Various bug fixes with spikes, hitboxes and switches

I'm hoping to have the next in-development build ready to play for those who have pre-purchased in a day or two. I want to make the AI better because it's not aggressive enough right now, and I'd like to add one or two more levels to play with as well. There have been a lot of changes since the last in-dev build though Smiley

This keeps getting better and better. Keep it up.
Thank you!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »

Oh man, this looks fantastic.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2012, 12:25:14 AM »

This is looking really nice dude - I will keep an eye on this  Beer!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2012, 01:05:18 AM »

This is looking really nice dude - I will keep an eye on this  Beer!

Oh man, this looks fantastic.

Thanks guys! That's very motivating to hear Smiley

I've been having some design discussions with Alastair John Jack, and he came up with this awesome UI which I'm really excited about:

It's definitely the direction I'm going to take with the UI and I'm going to try to implement this style of UI as soon as possible.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2012, 08:15:47 AM »

Day 127
* Added 'entrance' tiles
* Added new UI based on Alastair's design

I didn't do as much today as I had hoped I would, however I'm very proud of the UI, though you can't see the animation in the screenshot. When you change skill, the current skill decreases in size and slides off to the end, replaced by the next skill which scales up. The same thing happens when the current player changes.

The bottom bar is the "Action points" bar which shows you how many steps/actions you have left on your turn. The large notches are on every 5 steps, since it costs 5 steps/action points to perform an attack. The notches scale to the maximum number of action points that a character has.

You can also see Philip's new "cave entrance" tile in the background.

I really want to get out a new In-Dev build of this game to pre-purchasers soon, though I keep finding stuff that I think is really important to the play experience (such as this UI) which I want to fix before sending out a new one. I think the next build will be one that can be played a fair bit.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to implement:
* New door type (requires a switch/lever to open)
* Some sort of cooldown to some spells
* Better AI (more aggressive)

Here's the door I'd like to put in:

I probably won't get to doing that until the evening. I'd also like to include at least 2 levels for the next build.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:08:56 PM by JigxorAndy » Logged

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

Looks great! You might want to make the red and blue darker though, it seems a bit bright against the dark cave background tiles.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »

Looks great! You might want to make the red and blue darker though, it seems a bit bright against the dark cave background tiles.
Thanks! Good idea, I'll have to play with the colours some more.

Day 128
* Fixed UI bugs (and other random bugs)

Not so productive today, I did lots of minor fixes, all too small to note. Some problems with the UI slowed me down.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »

Day 129
* Added in-game music
* Added win conditions and end of level popup
* Added custom controls (via textfile at the moment, but the support is in)
* Added "free move" - you have unlimited walking movement points when no enemies are present. A new feature I'm testing, I think it streamlines the game more and allows characters such as the Knight to catch up to the faster characters.

Tomorrow I tackle new and better AI.

End of level/quest popup when you kill all the monsters. My temporary art.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »

Day 131
* Did A* AI tests

I've been implementing A* pathfinding and unfortunately it's taking more time than I had initially anticipated. The difficult part is aligning the current collision layer (shown partially in pink) with the A*'s own grid system. I have a lot of variables named things like "MapXOffset" and "FrameOffset" which I have to add and subtract a little bit. I'm confident however that it will work well in the end and be worth the effort. The current AI isn't very fun, they're too random and don't attack often enough. This new system should allow me to make archers take a shot at you and then go and hide behind a wall for example.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29:39 AM »

Day 131
* Did A* AI tests

I've been implementing A* pathfinding and unfortunately it's taking more time than I had initially anticipated. The difficult part is aligning the current collision layer (shown partially in pink) with the A*'s own grid system. I have a lot of variables named things like "MapXOffset" and "FrameOffset" which I have to add and subtract a little bit. I'm confident however that it will work well in the end and be worth the effort. The current AI isn't very fun, they're too random and don't attack often enough. This new system should allow me to make archers take a shot at you and then go and hide behind a wall for example.

From the look of that screenshot your collision/map data is of a higher resolution than the grid which creatures are fixed to. Is that the case?

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:07 AM »

From the look of that screenshot your collision/map data is of a higher resolution than the grid which creatures are fixed to. Is that the case?

They're actually the same resolution, however that screenshot isn't all that great because the collision layer (pink) is being drawn underneath the overhang layer (which overlaps the player). There are also some collisions that are simply missing, which I have since fixed.

I've managed to get the bats to use the A* algorithm and it's working well. Next problem is determining which player to focus! Closest? Weakest?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »

Day 132
* Implemented A* pathfinding

It's pretty much done. It works well for melee enemy types, I need to refine the ranged attacks a bit more.

I am very sleepy.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »

Day 133
* Made AI better.

I changed it so the AI can now walk through each other, as before they were blocking. This presents some better challenges for the player as a new room can really swarm you if you're not careful.

I also changed the way that they choose targets. They will now try to do a LOS check to the current player that they are 'chasing' and if they can't see that player then they will choose the closest visible, followed by the closest non-visible player.

There's one bug with the pathfinding at the moment. Archers are sporadically not using their arrows! They're insisting on melee'ing the player. The AI also seems to favour "attacking in a line", which I'll fix at a later stage, but it's not much of an issue right now. It looks weird more than anything but doesn't affect play.

I'm exhausted! Unfortunately all of this AI stuff is taking much longer than I had anticipated and I really want to finish it.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »

IN-DEV BUILD 2 RELEASED!

I've finished a new in-dev build available to play for those who have pre-purchased.

Pre-purchase here!

New features in this build:

• New map - designed by Steve.
  • Floor switches - stand on these and bad things may happen!
  • Levers - can be used multiple times to make spikes go up and down
  • BETTER AI - I'm really excited about this. I spent a lot of time on the AI and I think
    it was worth it. The game is much more fun because of the more agressive AI.
  • New action-points system - you no longer have a fixed number of attacks or steps.
    Instead you have a unified resource, indicated by the blue bar.
    Each step costs 1 action point, and each attack costs 5. It's up to you how to spend them.
  • Freemove - You have unlimited action points when there are no enemies present. Let slow
    characters gain ground or strategically place heroes before an encounter.
  • New UI - Minimal streamlined user interface showing your skills and character portraits.
  • Custom Controls
  • Original track by Nathan Antony - more to come in future builds

And my daily log:
Day 134
* Fixed ranged AI attacks by archers
* Fixed AI target selection
* Released new IN-DEV build available for pre-purchasers

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:53 PM »

Make a Mac version available and I will preorder a bajillion. Hand Money Left Screamy Hand Money Right

Uykered
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2012, 04:49:19 PM »

Wow, the new AI is significantly better, a lot more fun! I actually lost 2 characters to this new AI. The new music is really nice too. The game is feeling good to play.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »

Make a Mac version available and I will preorder a bajillion. Hand Money Left Screamy Hand Money Right
Haha! Thanks for letting me know you're interested in the Mac build. It will take some extra development time at the end, but if it's going to sell a bajillion copies then I can't really say no can I? Tongue

Wow, the new AI is significantly better, a lot more fun! I actually lost 2 characters to this new AI. The new music is really nice too. The game is feeling good to play.
Thanks! I haven't done much balancing at all and the characters have basic equipment, so the difficulty might be a bit off. I found it challenging myself at times. I'm glad you like the music too. I think Nathan did a really great job.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic