Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:20:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146791 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »

Day 234
* Fixed tileset issues for Castle tiles. Castle levels can now be built.
* Equipment and skill design on paper

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2012, 07:59:51 AM »

Day 234
* Added party teleport system. When you press the teleport button and there are no enemies around all of your party members are automagically teleported around you.
 You can also make this automatically happen whenever you open a door. This could be initially confusing but it speeds up the game considerably. No more useless walking around.
* Added new speed system. Now each enemy and player has a Speed attribute. Whenever you open a door it orders all of the characters by their Speed for their turn order. This will allow more strategic decisions for who should open doors, and also during combat.
* Removed delay when cycling through players.

Here's a screenshot showing the flood filling algorithm I used to determine which spaces around the player are free and can be used to teleport allies onto:

I felt like I got a lot of stuff done today. I did 2 out of the 3 difficult systems that I mentioned. The teleport system only took about 2 hours and was quite straightforward once I'd gotten the algorithm down for searching nearby tiles.

The Speed system was quite difficult and challenging. It basically required me to rewrite how turns were handled, as before I was using a system that was really "player phase" or "enemy phase" and had two lists (queues) holding the characters to move that phase. I had to combine those into one big priority queue ordered by the Speed attribute so that the fastest units move first.

Once I'd implemented the Speed system there were a lot of problems and inconsistencies that I had to address. Little things to do with how the end/start of a turn came about which led to a few bugs which I managed to fix after lots of staring at code.

Next Up:
I need to implement new UI which handles the Speed system and gives better feedback. I also need health bars above characters and enemies when they take damage.

I will also look at adding in the crafting system, which shouldn't be too hard.

After that I need to add in shadows for the new Castle tiles and then there should be a lot of content creating! New maps, items, progression.

Steam Greenlight is live in under 6 days, so I'm aiming to have an impressive version of the game and make some cool videos by then. Ludum Dare this weekend as well might take up a bit of time!

GeoffW
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

Steam Greenlight is live in under 6 days, so I'm aiming to have an impressive version of the game and make some cool videos by then. Ludum Dare this weekend as well might take up a bit of time!

Do you know if it's possible to create a project on Greenlight yet?  I was told it would be possible to do this some amount of time before the site goes fully live.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »

Do you know if it's possible to create a project on Greenlight yet?  I was told it would be possible to do this some amount of time before the site goes fully live.

I don't know anything about early submissions. I'm just going by the information on their website which says that Greenlight will be live at the end of August, it could be earlier!

SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »

I like the gui design that person is making so i added some stuff on top.. the game is lookin' great!

Edit: Thanks JigexorAndy, can't wait to see it Smiley
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:52:34 AM by SpaceFish » Logged
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »

Thanks SpaceFish! That looks cool! It will be great to do some more integrated UI elements like the one you drew rather than having objects simply floating everywhere as they are now.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »

Day 235
* tweaked some delay values to make the new turn system feel like the older one. There wasn't a delay between turns which was making everything jump around too much.
* imported new end of level portal assets
* imported new dragon and item graphics
* implemented Crafting System - you unlock new plans for items which allow you to craft them if you have the right resources. Currently you only require gold but there will soon be reagent drops from enemies randomly which you'll need to collect.
* designed new armour attributes and types

Crafting an item. Once you craft it the craft button changes into "Equip". Also, I cheated to get gold  Wink Still placeholder UI.

Next Up:
* Changing the in-game UI to show turn order of everyone as well as health and other essential elements
* Add reagent drops and collection.
* CONTENT! Implement proper item/character stats. Make levels.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »

Day 236
* Made skills craftable
* Fixed some problems with the new Turn System where players would get effectively two turns in a row
* Made the turn order display for every enemy and player on screen (see screenshot)
* Starting moving around UI elements some more - trying to implement UI Concept 7

Bottom right of this image shows the turn order of the enemies and players. Current turn is the Rogue, following by 3 enemies, and then the rest of the party. This new system allows enemies and players to be interspersed with each other, where as the old system had a strict order of "all players" followed by "all enemies". Placeholder art of course!

I'm planning on participating in Ludum Dare this weekend which will probably slow progress a little bit.

deadlyhabit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »

Can't wait for a new playable build.
Derris-Kharlan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2012, 11:41:19 PM »

This game looks cool!

derriskharlan.com | nathanantony.com
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »

Can't wait for a new playable build.

Me too! I'd like to get some actual progression in the next build. Get some levels in and unlockable content (goals/objectives/craftable items) that actually mean something.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »

Day 242
* Added reagent drops by enemies
* Added reagents to crafting items
* Imported new item assets done by Chris

So for the crafting/progression system, players unlock new recipes/blueprints from completing certain objectives, such as "Kill 10 Orcs". The recipes allow them to craft new items. They will also need to obtain reagents dropped randomly from enemies.

This screenshot below shows the reagents required to build a particular sword. It costs 5000 gold and 3 pieces of scrap metal. It's just an example, and the real sword will cost more:

In other news, I participated in Ludum Dare on the weekend. Checkout the entry I worked on for the jam with a few others: http://jigxor.com/ld24/

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:45 AM »

Day 243
* Designed equipment stats and built some tools to help me implement them quickly from Excel.
* Created assets for Steam Greenlight (which launches today.)

A lot of number crunching in Excel today, trying to work out attributes and stats for each item and when they should be unlocked.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »

Do not hate me if I go along with sharing a tiny bit of criticism (game looks amazing btw).

I personally don't think there's that much of a point with a crafting system in DD. Bear with me for a while.

What an every-day crafting system does is this: the player slowly hoards reagents and recipes (basically resources you collect while playing) and gold -> the player buys items they might need by spending those resources. This is basically rewarding the player, but in an indirect way. It grows old quickly though.

On the other side, what entices me about DD entirely revolves around its core game-play. Multyplayer, fast-paced, turn-based, strategical combat in a fantasy world. Sounds very cool and exciting.

But when I think about a crafting system? Boredom.

To me, it's like crafting is being put into DD cause it seems a nice added feature, or because it's a staple in most fantasy-flavored games. But does it add anything meaningful to the game at all? Would a crafting-less version of DD be less fun? Would it be better? Would it feel the same? Does crafting fit well with DD's core-mechanics?

On the other hand, can you think about any other systems which might deliver the same functionality (rewards, player power, progression), while cutting on the boring parts (grinding for reagents/recipes)?

Some alternatives to crafting.
- NPC-merchants system: The shop sells more powerful and rare items as the player advances into the game; Maybe the shop owner will be able to sell specific (and expensive) items, but only if the player can complete a challenging quest. The player still needs to spend a resource (gold) to buy equipment.
- Customizeable Items: Special (and rarer) versions of regular gear occasionally drop, players can customize these by attaching a (limited) amount of enchantments to them. Enchants are themselves rare drops from chests/monsters/quests. (think item's sockets in Diablo). Notice you still need to use resources (enchant-able item + enchantments), you cut on the hoarding, and customizing an item feels more exciting then selecting something from a dropdown list.
- Better items as rewards for Feats of Strenght: Players can play more challenging instances of regular scenarios. If they can succeed, they get a shot at more powerful results. You might also link this to a scoring system, the better the players perform -> the better the reward.

My point is, you can achieve the same in-game results (delivering equipment/rewards to players), while saving the players from unnecessary/uninteresting/boring activities (grinding and hoarding resources).

TL;DR; You want to reinforce the (fun) core-gameplay, not detracting from it with unnecessary systems. Crafting systems are old (and often times boring) stuff, way too abused in most games.

Unless you can design a truly unique, innovating, entertaining crafting system, I would rather stick on the core gameplay instead.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »

Dungeon Dashers is Live on Steam Greenlight
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92990904
Please upvote, tweet, share, go crazy and tell friends!

gecko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

voted. good luck. hope to see it.

Torres Baldi Studio
http://torresbaldi.com
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »

voted. good luck. hope to see it.

Thank you!

Ps. I will respond to Bandreus' thoughtful post. I'm just super busy talking with people about the Greenlight Submission!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2012, 11:38:34 PM »

Do not hate me if I go along with sharing a tiny bit of criticism (game looks amazing btw).

Firstly, Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed post with your thoughts on the game. Feedback like this is super important and very useful in directing the game. Every bit of criticism is useful, so thank you!

Let me start by saying that when I first considered a crafting system in Dungeon Dashers I thought about all the negative aspects of crafting systems in other games and came up with many of the same problems that you've listed. I've thought long and hard about how best to reward the player with a natural progression system and on the days where I don't post much in the development blog I'm often writing down ideas on paper or thinking about systems such as these. It is very important to me that the game does not have "artificial" grinding added to it for the sake of making the game longer than it needs to be. I think that the system I have come up with in the end is a very versatile system that rewards many different types of players.

Having said that, I also think there is a group of people who enjoy having something extra to do. For example the Achievements system in games and in Steam is fantastic because it gives players something to do if they really love a game. It's optional. Players who have "finished" a game but want something more to do or want to master a game can aim to get every achievement. Alternatively, players who don't have time to unlock every achievement or simply don't feel the need to (which is where I find myself with most achievements) aren't obligated to do so in order to enjoy the experience.

There are a few core concepts that I've had for Dungeon Dashers since the start of development, related to equipment:

1. There should be no junk items.
Every item should be unique and have a unique purpose. In games such as Diablo 3 you get "junk items". That is to say, there are items in the game that are simply bad and they are replaced by items that are all around better. This wastes the player's time since they have to look at every item they get and all items simply become a numbers game. Weapons are often made better or worse by their damage output per second. This does work for some games of course, but it's not what I wanted to do with my game.

Which leads to...

2. No item is necessarily better than another
In Dungeon Dashers, each item will have pros and cons. For example, one of the Assassin's swords does high damage but gives you less action points to move around. Another does low regular damage but higher critical hit damage when you attack an enemy in the back. Another weapon still does very low damage but grants lifesteal. I want all of the items in the game for each character to have pros and cons like this, giving the player a strategic choice for which item to bring into any level and any scenario. Do you want your character to be a glass cannon? Does this level have wide open spaces which require more movement points? Do you need to use armour with high magic resistance?

3. There should be no permanent stat increases
I wanted a large strategic element of the game to revolve around choosing the right equipment for the right level. I did not want a typical RPG Leveling System where you gain experience and put stat points into attributes such as Strength or Agility. I wanted the player to be able to beat the last level, and then return to the first level again and not absolutely destroy it. It may be easier but it should not be impossible to lose.

With these design goals in mind, here are the elements in my current progression system:

1. Global Quests
These are a set of "quests" which can be completed at any time on any level. They are things such as "Kill 10 Orcs", "Open 5 chests", "Beat 3 levels", etc. Completing one of these will give you a reward such as a new blueprint for crafting. You have 3 active Global Quests at any time and once you complete one, a new one takes its place.

2. Gold
You gain gold for lots of things such as killing monsters and opening chests.

3. Crafting
Once you obtain blueprints for items you can craft the items with reagents (resources) which are randomly dropped from enemies. There will be different types of reagents and some will be more rare than others.

4. 5-Star Level Rating
Each level has a rating of 5 stars. You get a higher score/rating on each level depending on how well you do. How well you do is measured by a number of factors (which I'm still designing) but to get a 5-star rating you'll have to do a few things such have no party members die, collect all chests, kill X monsters and beat the level in Y turns.

A rating system like this serves a couple of purposes. It means that "casual" players can beat a level, using as much time and dying as many times as required. They can still advance through the game. But people who are more involved with the game (those same people who want all the achievements) can aim to get 5-stars which, when combined with the Global Quests system (e.g. get a 5-star rating on 10 levels), may reward them with a new item or blueprint.

How these elements fit together and work in Dungeon Dashers
The player progresses through the game by beating each level. When they beat a level they unlock the next level (or more than one - there may be trees). To beat a level a player must complete level-specific objectives such as "Kill all enemies" or "Get to the exit".

At the same time that the player is beating levels and progressing from one to the next, they are also completing Global Quests. Global Quests will be closely aligned to the level progression such that you won't have to go out of your way to complete them. For example, you will receive a quest "Kill 10 bats" around about the same time that you get up to the level with lots of bats.

As the player completes these quests they will be unlocking new blueprints which they can spend their gold and reagents that they've collected through normal play to craft new items. This is again in parallel to the levels which they might find the items most beneficial (e.g. They unlock armour providing magic resistance around the same time they find a level with lots of witches).

Gold is used to purchase cosmetic items to change character appearance and to purchase consumable items (consumable in this context meaning "one-time use"). Examples of consumable items include potions which grant extra health for one level or allow a character to respawn on death or give you extra damage for one level, etc. The reasoning for this is again to allow for different levels of play. To get a 5-star rating on a level you would have to use no consumable items, but for players who are struggling they can stack up on these temporary buffs before tackling a challenging mission. (This consumable item system is planned but not implemented yet.)

So that's the system.

Here's the reasoning for this system:

Now imagine that instead of crafting items, the player can buy any item in the game if they have enough gold. That means that it's possible to grind the first level over and over until the player has enough gold to buy every weapon and item.

Because gold can be grinded, it should not be used to buy items which affect core gameplay.

Which is why you need a separate resource which requires the player to naturally progress through the game, beating levels and playing through all of the available content...

...enter Crafting.

Now, if a blueprint for an item is only awarded once they beat certain Global Quests, the player will have to progress naturally through the game to achieve them. They can't unlock the item blueprint for "Beat Level 5" until they beat level 5 and they can't unlock the reward for "Kill a Dragon" if they're not up to the Dragon on Level 10.

They can't grind to win.

I can make cosmetic items require some grinding as they're equivalent to achievements in Steam. They're there for people who want them but you don't need them to enjoy the experience. They give extra content for players who want it without harming the experience for those who aren't interested.

The other element is the motivation for online co-operative play.

Replay value and the encouragement of co-operative play
There is another benefit of having a Global Quest system and Reagent drops. Take the following example: An experienced player who has played the game for many hours can now join in with a friend who is on an easier level (e.g. Level 3) and both players now have a reason for playing. They have different quests, but both gain something for playing Level 3. New Player A unlocks Level 4 and Experienced Player B gains reagents he needed and kills another 7 Orcs for his Global Quest.

In a game such as Diablo if you play with someone who is a higher level you'd simply be "carried" by their better loot and character. They'd often have to create a new character to play at the same levels as you or wait for you to reach the maximum level in the game.

Since, as I mentioned before, no item is necessarily better than another, there is no problem in Dungeon Dashers for Player B to join Player A in Level 1. It may be easier for Player B due to his/her understanding and mastery of the game, but he/she will still ultimately have to make strategic choices about which equipment and skills to use.

In addition I hope to add secret areas to some of the early levels that can only be unlocked with items you find later in the game. For example, secret tunnels in Level 1 only visible with an "Amulet of True Sight" leading to treasure or hidden messages.

Now let's look at the alternative systems proposed:

- NPC-merchants system: The shop sells more powerful and rare items as the player advances into the game; Maybe the shop owner will be able to sell specific (and expensive) items, but only if the player can complete a challenging quest. The player still needs to spend a resource (gold) to buy equipment.

Without "complete challenging quest" the player is able to grind for gold, which I addressed above. Gold can't be used as a primary resource if it can be grinded for.

With "complete challenging quest" it becomes more like my own Global Quests system, however the difference is in the use of gold. In this NPC-Merchant system Gold is either worthless (the player always has more than they need) or it requires grinding (once you complete the required quest you still need to grind for gold).

Customizeable Items: Special (and rarer) versions of regular gear occasionally drop, players can customize these by attaching a (limited) amount of enchantments to them. Enchants are themselves rare drops from chests/monsters/quests. (think item's sockets in Diablo). Notice you still need to use resources (enchant-able item + enchantments), you cut on the hoarding, and customizing an item feels more exciting then selecting something from a dropdown list.

This is a good idea. The principles behind this idea are incorporated into both my Global Quests system as well as the 5-star level rating system.

However, the main problem with this system is the complexity of enchantments as well as junk items. If there are enchantments that are in all ways better than one another then you have junk items. If there are too many items then the complexity of balancing the game for me as a developer becomes more difficult and for players it's hard to work out the best character build. This is one of the reasons I reduced the number of item slots from five types (head, body, legs, feet, weapon) to three (armour, weapon, miscellaneous) +1 cosmetic ("hat"). Having more items does not necessarily make the game more interesting, it just adds complexity without depth.

On another note, when you have "Enchants are themselves rare drops" how is that any different to "grinding" for other resources like reagents?

Better items as rewards for Feats of Strenght: Players can play more challenging instances of regular scenarios. If they can succeed, they get a shot at more powerful results. You might also link this to a scoring system, the better the players perform -> the better the reward.

This is a good system as well and it is basically what my 5-star level rating will cover. However I don't want "more challenging instances of regular scenarios" to be the sole way to unlock new equipment however, because it means that people who are not as good at the game are unable to unlock new items.

Hopefully this post makes my reasoning for the game's progression mechanics clear. Thank you once again Bandreus for the thoughtful post and forcing me to clearly assert the reasons for my choices. After reading this, I hope you agree that the progression system will be beneficial and complimentary to the game's core design goals.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »

Thanks for explaining the in-depth explanation, it's really interesting.

I now see the purpose you're putting into DD's various systems and those make much more sense. I'm still a bit confused about some of the specifics and am not sure about the whole picture.
I'm pretty sure you will be able to iterate and tune all of your systems once the game is in a much more complete form and you can start core-testing it.

Also, I still feel like crafting might be too much of a convoluted way to deliver unlockables, even more so because of the various points you explained.

Thinks I do like about your points:
- As possibilities open up (more blueprints are acquired), players can chose which pieces of equipment to unlock first.

This is under the assumptions the rate at which you collect reagents and gold is not so that players can simply craft every single piece as soon as a blue-print is acquired. Otherwise, if that's the case, you might simply hand out the equipment itself just as well. Resources management is good, but only when resources are limited or slowly acquired.

You're still introducing a certain degree of grinding (for resources), but if it's very carefully balanced that's fine I guess.

- The Global Quests. I really like it, since you're layering additional (and more varied) objectives on top of the simpler "beat all levels" agenda. Also adds a lot to replay value, since what I'm getting is you'll get quests later on through the game which will require players to revisit previous scenarios. Good stuff.

- 5-star rating. I know you've not iterated on this enough yet, but I like it already. I would suggest you tie into this some kind of rewards for completing scenarios. This is on top of delivering ulockables by scoring top scores.

Suppose you have a chance to get bonus-rewards (gold, reagents) at the end of a level, depending on the score. The more stars scored, the higher the chance to get bonus gold/reagents.

This would be very interesting if you ask me, and I would even go as far as making the score-dependent rewards as valuable as the ones collected throughout a level. Would help with giving players a stronger incentive to get the highest score they can.

Good work on DD up till now, can't wait to know and see more!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »

Your summary and assumptions are pretty spot on!

I'll be sure to test the systems with players and see how they respond to the progression and I'll tweak and iterate on anything that doesn't sit quite right.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic