Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:42:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146227 times)
Uykered
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »

I like how it just extends for different HP/AP amounts. Do you think you need to show the current player's name below the large portrait?
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »

I like how it just extends for different HP/AP amounts. Do you think you need to show the current player's name below the large portrait?

Do you mean the player's name in multiplayer or the hero/character's name? E.g. "Knight" or "Rogue".

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Uykered
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2012, 11:17:11 PM »

Oh, I was just wondering if you'd show like "Mary" or "Kate" (player names) somewhere or maybe that doesn't matter I guess.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »

Oh, I was just wondering if you'd show like "Mary" or "Kate" (player names) somewhere or maybe that doesn't matter I guess.

I was displaying the multiplayer name in earlier builds but I removed it for now. I will need a place to put it later on so I'll have to keep that in mind. The screen could get pretty cluttered if names were always visible. Underneath or above the player portraits would be a good idea.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »

I was displaying the multiplayer name in earlier builds but I removed it for now. I will need a place to put it later on so I'll have to keep that in mind. The screen could get pretty cluttered if names were always visible. Underneath or above the player portraits would be a good idea.

This is of course going to be changed according to iterations over the GUI, but you may try to display something as simple as "Mary's turn", "Skeleton 1's turn", "Kate's turn", etc.

Either under/above portraits or somewhere else you see fit. I'm assuming you'll want to include some sort of Log, as in some strategy games and most roguelikes, so that may be a good place to display the current turn as well.

Again, try out stuff, iterate, change stuff how you see fit Wink

Chezzo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »

This game is incredible, man! It a lot like what I'm looking to make for my game. It's really fun.

I want more! Can we get another dev build? It looks like you have added a ton, and I'd really like to check it out.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »

Day 262
* Tweaked HUD visuals, adding backing behind smaller HP bars on players and enemies.
* Made damage and gold counters smoothly fade out instead of disappearing
* Made critical hist/miss/dodge alert fade out
* Fixed bug where gold counters would often display +0 instead of +1
* Added back enemy drop shadows
* Added variable width typeface to replace the monospaced typeface. Much easier to read.
* Chris experimented with the skill icons (see bottom left of screenshot)

I've been thinking that teleporting everyone to a door might not be the best way to go. I realised that some of the later levels I'm designing might not work so well if you've got the option to find a door and get everyone out, rather than force players to be trapped or split up. I think some sort of special floor tile which teleports all of the party to the surrounding tiles might work. My original hesitation with this idea was that I thought I'd pretty much have to put them in every room. But I realise that if they only allow a single activation, they become more like checkpoints which I can place less frequently. I'll play around with the idea in later builds.

The variable width text was something that was important to me because the monospaced version I displayed a few days ago wasn't very readable. I spent a fair bit of time reading into how to make it work, and I came up with a 8x16 bitmap typeface based on those found in SNES games.

This game is incredible, man! It a lot like what I'm looking to make for my game. It's really fun.

I want more! Can we get another dev build? It looks like you have added a ton, and I'd really like to check it out.

I'm trying! I wanted to build two levels today but I didn't get around to it (I did design a new one which I think should be interesting). There's only one proper level in the game right now that I'm testing the new features with so that's why I haven't released a build in a while. I'll shift my focus to building two new levels first thing tomorrow so that I can give you guys something to play. I know it's been too long since the last build and I'd really like to get this one out.

Is there anything else in particular you'd really like to have for the next build?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 18, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »

This is of course going to be changed according to iterations over the GUI, but you may try to display something as simple as "Mary's turn", "Skeleton 1's turn", "Kate's turn", etc.

Either under/above portraits or somewhere else you see fit. I'm assuming you'll want to include some sort of Log, as in some strategy games and most roguelikes, so that may be a good place to display the current turn as well.

I'll see where the text can fit, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for reminding me. A log would be a good idea too. I've seen a fair few roguelikes which keep it in one of the corners and fade out the lines as they appear, almost like a background. However I don't want to clutter up the screen, so if I do have that, it would be an option.

Uykered
« Reply #268 on: September 18, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

I think it's kind of pointless to have a text log for every action just because of tradition's sake, there's sufficient visual/aesthetic feedback for the mechanics so it shouldn't really be necessary to say it with text too — all I think it will do at this point is clutter the screen with irrelevance, distractions, and make it less immersive.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:43:23 PM by alastair » Logged
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2012, 06:12:07 AM »

Day 263
* Added "kill all enemies" trigger to maps.
* Fixed UI bugs

I spent most of the day discussing the HUD with Philip and Chris and working out how it should look. Chris came up with a more realistic looking style (as opposed to the "parchment" in yesterday's post) which I think works a lot better. It's more interesting and allows for some more creative freedom as well. There will be a border on the HUD to go around it.

Fireball skill icon at 2X

I also realised that there isn't much point in having a "current skill" system with a "change skill" button. Instead, I'll bind the skill slots to the number keys 1,2,3,4 - or perhaps to Q,W,E,R (which could be changed for those with non QWERTY keyboards). The original reasoning for the change skill button was to limit the number of buttons used in total for the game, but I think it just makes it less intuitive overall. How would you feel if the skills were hotkey bound to 1,2,3,4, and pressing them went straight into casting them?

I might not be so active over the next few days because I'll be attending Freeplay, an Independent Games Festival and conference held in Melbourne, which goes until Sunday night.

When I do get time my plan is to build 2 more levels and then get a new build out.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2012, 06:36:29 AM »

The fireball skill icon is so hot! (pun totally intended)

I would go the same way most games do it these days. Skill icons in hotbar, keybindings (1,2,3,4 or wtv) to cast skills, but the player can still click on icons directly to cast those (for insta use skills like buffs on caster, etc) or pointer go into designate-target mode (for targeted skills like projectiles, AoE skills etc) in order for the player to pick an ally, enemy or tile as appropriate per skill.

Chezzo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2012, 02:57:39 AM »

All the stuff you have added since the recent dev build.

Y'know, if you randomly generated dungeons, that would give acres of new content. I know you didn't want to go that way, but it would certainly fill the hole. The three levels you have now are fantastic, and I totally get why you aren't, but ToME can do both. Maybe you can too.

Don't go tryin' to write the algorithm, it has totally been already written.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2012, 05:42:45 AM »

The fireball skill icon is so hot! (pun totally intended)

I would go the same way most games do it these days. Skill icons in hotbar, keybindings (1,2,3,4 or wtv) to cast skills, but the player can still click on icons directly to cast those (for insta use skills like buffs on caster, etc) or pointer go into designate-target mode (for targeted skills like projectiles, AoE skills etc) in order for the player to pick an ally, enemy or tile as appropriate per skill.

Sounds like a good way to go!

All the stuff you have added since the recent dev build.

Y'know, if you randomly generated dungeons, that would give acres of new content. I know you didn't want to go that way, but it would certainly fill the hole. The three levels you have now are fantastic, and I totally get why you aren't, but ToME can do both. Maybe you can too.

Don't go tryin' to write the algorithm, it has totally been already written.

Randomly generated dungeons is something that I'll be looking at in a post-first-release build as some extra free content. I think it would be fun to see how far you could get in a randomly generate dungeon, but it's not part of the core experience that I'm trying to deliver with Dungeon Dashers.

I haven't played ToME, it looks fun. I'll give it a go! Thanks.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

263 days and I didn't even know this was a thing!? This is an exciting, exciting thread. This alone makes me glad Dom is creating a visual summary of Devlogs now!

It's almost surprising to hear of hand-crafted dungeons in a fantasy themed game. I love procedurally generated things, don't get me wrong, but I really like the experience that a designed level brings to a game. Also, co-op yaaay
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2012, 06:09:29 AM »

Day 264
I didn't personally get much done today. I was busy attending Freeplay for most of it.

Chris did some fantastic new skill icons (see screenshot). In particular I love the realism and volume of the "guard" skill which shows a figure with his two arms crossed, in the bottom image:

263 days and I didn't even know this was a thing!? This is an exciting, exciting thread. This alone makes me glad Dom is creating a visual summary of Devlogs now!

It's almost surprising to hear of hand-crafted dungeons in a fantasy themed game. I love procedurally generated things, don't get me wrong, but I really like the experience that a designed level brings to a game. Also, co-op yaaay

Thanks! Dom's visual summary is really great and I found a couple of cool new games that I didn't know about before too.

Dungeon Dashers is really aiming to have crafted levels with interesting challenges and surprises. The advantage of designing the levels myself instead of procedurally is that I can setup intricate traps and try to get into the mindset of the people playing. I'll try to think about where they will be and what they might try to do next. I can then build a level around this experience, and playtest it so that the same level works a wide range of players with different play-styles and experience. With a procedural game it's harder to anticipate what kind of situations you'll encounter all of the time, so it's difficult to implement a trap or a surprise at the right time.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »

Skills' icons are turning out great and yep the Guard one is impressive. Hot pixels!

Dungeon Dashers is really aiming to have crafted levels with interesting challenges and surprises. The advantage of designing the levels myself instead of procedurally is that I can setup intricate traps and try to get into the mindset of the people playing. I'll try to think about where they will be and what they might try to do next. I can then build a level around this experience, and playtest it so that the same level works a wide range of players with different play-styles and experience. With a procedural game it's harder to anticipate what kind of situations you'll encounter all of the time, so it's difficult to implement a trap or a surprise at the right time.

Lots of people advocate procedurally generated content, although it comes with its good sleeve of issues. Also, you need to design around it, it's not like you can simply add procedurally generated stuff to every game and expect it to simply make the end result better.

But I will agree with Chezzo, it's a possibility space which might be worth exploring. All in all, randomly can very well be experimented with and added post-release. For now I'm very positive about the direction you're moving the development along!

I hope a fully fledged level editor for DD will be released at some point in the future, for people to mess around and share new hand-crafted dungeons with friends.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »

Day 265
I didn't do any work on the game today. I'm still attending the Freeplay festival in Melbourne which is AWESOME. There's so many interesting panels, discussions, people and games.

Chris did a bunch of new skills and Philip drew a proper popup textbox back image.

Even though I didn't do any work today I think it's important to keep you all updated so that you can see the processes behind making a game like this including the successes and the failures. I'll be getting back into it on Sunday night or Monday day.

@Bandreus - I will reply to your comments tommorow, currently super busy!

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »

@Bandreus - I will reply to your comments tommorow, currently super busy!

Take your time and enjoy the show man Wink

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »

I'm really love watching this game progress. Super inspirational stuff here guys!

Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2012, 02:55:01 AM »

I'm loving your game so far, it has that great old-school DnD/Warhammer Quest feel. I look forward to playing it in the future! Keep up the good work.
 Toast Left
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:06:49 AM by Q » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic