Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:38:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146656 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: February 25, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »

Day 422
* added pixel perfect scaling option
* added vsync option
* game now remembers last used gamescale/resolution

I also spent a few hours trying to refactor how the shadows are drawn. Currently they're hardcoded (loading specific shadows for specific tile filenames). Which doesn't work for the new tilesets. So I've been trying to implement a new system which loads the shadows from files (same as tiles/overhang). This will mean that the shadows will also be moddable / able to be edited in external tilesets.

The shadow's aren't an essential feature right now, but I need to sort them out before I tackle the other tilesets / level building.

Tomorrow I'll work on the shadows again. It shouldn't take long now because I've got an idea how to fix it. In the end it should make the game run a little better as the shadows will be baked into the terrain instead of being objects (still the same visuals).

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: February 25, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »

YAY baked lightmaps!

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:40 AM »

Day 423
* Fixed shadows so that they load externally from files.

Ran into some more problems with the shadows today but got them working in the end. It was quite tedious to implement the new system, and it looks the same as the old shadows, but now it's easier to do shadows for other tilesets. Refactoring!

YAY baked lightmaps!
Woo!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2013, 08:18:14 AM »

Looking for someone to create a new Dungeon Dashers logo:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31564.0

Gah, I missed it. Hope you found someone good.
By the way, what with that superb pixel art you're sporting, how come your artist didn't do the logo? If that's fine for you to say, of course.

(← new art twitter)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »

Looking for someone to create a new Dungeon Dashers logo:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31564.0

Gah, I missed it. Hope you found someone good.
By the way, what with that superb pixel art you're sporting, how come your artist didn't do the logo? If that's fine for you to say, of course.

Hey! There are a couple of different artists working on the project right now. However, I wanted someone who specialized in pixel art logos, which is quite a niche skill. Logo design requires a different skill set (typography, making it readable, etc.) to being a sprite/tile artist (which all the DD artists definitely are!).

Chris or Philip would have been very capable of doing a logo I'm sure, but I thought I'd seek someone else since they've been busy working on other parts of the game as well. The logo is quite time critical as I'm trying to get it finalized before GDC for printed media, etc.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: February 26, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

Hey everyone,

As you might have seen from the pixel art job ads, I've been trying to get a new logo created for Dungeon Dashers. The talented Helm contacted me and has been working on a pixel art logo for the game. A higher resolution version will also be painted later for websites, etc.

Here are the current designs:

Latest logo design

Proposed items to add (may not do pile of gold in background)

Colour Shifts
A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

I'd really love to get your opinion on which logo(s) you think are the best so far. All honest C&C is appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:41:26 PM by JigxorAndy » Logged

dustyshouri
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 26, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »

So sexy. Though I'll admit I liked the original idea of the axe being embedded in the "D" rather than just a background prop.

I like this color scheme the most, but any color can work as long as it properly blends and contrasts with the background. For example, the gold logo would work horribly against a background with piles of gold.
Uykered
« Reply #547 on: February 26, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »

I like the background one, would be cool to see it filled in. My preference for the colour shifts: E,B,A,D,F,C
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:07:16 PM by alastair » Logged
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »

So sexy.

I like this color scheme the most, but any color can work as long as it properly blends and contrasts with the background. For example, the gold logo would work horribly against a background with piles of gold.

I completely agree. A grayish color is a must if you want to add a pile of different items with different colors in the background.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: February 26, 2013, 03:33:09 PM »

I  like the two gold options most

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: February 26, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems everyone I've asked is giving a different favourite logo! Tongue

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

It's your fault for making so many cool ones Cheesy

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: February 26, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »

Rusty red hasn't been done before, so I vote that. The palette also looks almost expressionistic.

Anything but pure grey. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »

Marvelous!
My vote goes for the golden "C" - that just makes it look even more epic.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2013, 01:40:36 AM »

Marvelous!
My vote goes for the golden "C" - that just makes it look even more epic.
Thanks! I quite like the gold as well.

Rusty red hasn't been done before, so I vote that. The palette also looks almost expressionistic.

Anything but pure grey. Smiley
Interesting that nobody has picked the grey one!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: February 27, 2013, 05:32:23 AM »

Well grey is a good color and would definitely suit the logo. Maybe it's just the comparison that makes people go for the more "colorful" ones instinctively, like you'd grab a more colorful fruit because it looks appetizing.

The hue changes in the top logo are very subtle and effective, and it looks far from boring. I feel though that the second-to-last logo (E) uses a similar approach but manages to look bolder.
It might just be my Bitmap Brothers nostalgia speaking though.

But honestly, we should wait until everything is completed and then you should ignore us for whatever your artist says. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:07 AM »

Well grey is a good color and would definitely suit the logo. Maybe it's just the comparison that makes people go for the more "colorful" ones instinctively, like you'd grab a more colorful fruit because it looks appetizing.

The hue changes in the top logo are very subtle and effective, and it looks far from boring. I feel though that the second-to-last logo (E) uses a similar approach but manages to look bolder.
It might just be my Bitmap Brothers nostalgia speaking though.

But honestly, we should wait until everything is completed and then you should ignore us for whatever your artist says. Smiley

I think that artistically the original grey logo is very well done. But a logo isn't purely a piece of art, it's a symbol which needs to be bold, legible and easily recognizable. I feel that the other colour variants do a better job of that (especially at a low resolution - imagine the logo as a tiny button on the Steam Store).

So the fact that people "go for the "colorful" ones instinctively, like you'd grab a more colorful fruit because it looks appetizing" is actually a good thing and a valid reason to choose them over the others because those variants show that they are doing a better job of being a logo. I want attention grabbing.

As for the background... Chris is doing a mockup of some kind of back image. At this stage I think we'll overlook the gold coins behind the image, but try the torch/axe and see how things go. So that will give people a better idea of how it all fits in. Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »

Day 424
* Made the skill UI show what key to press to activate a skill
* Changed skill hotkeys to QWER

I'm not sure if QWER is the most comfortable set of letters ASDF might be better (though both on US keyboards). Controls can be changed, and the letters will change accordingly.

The skill boxes are a bit overrun now with both the AP cost and key to press. Might need to edit the box itself to hold this information rather than cover the images.

Ant
« Reply #558 on: February 27, 2013, 06:49:40 AM »

A > D > B

They all look rather spiffy though  Hand Thumbs Up Right
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: February 27, 2013, 06:55:26 AM »

A > D > B

They all look rather spiffy though  Hand Thumbs Up Right