Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:19:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146620 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »

do you plan on including DM-like controls for the host player? the attacks and stats would be impossible to reconcile (unless you included an ability builder, which i think is overkill), but that can be handled outside of the game. i could see myself using this in conjunction with a group skype and dice rolls, know what i mean?

I can see how that would be a useful application of this grid based engine that I've got going - sort of a simple computerization of a tabletop where you can setup your own rules. However, as you can imagine, that sort of customization is quite difficult to implement, and also not in line with the vision I have for this game. I may at some stage release a level editor so that people can create their own scenarios, however the map editor tool that I've made so far is... not user friendly at all, it's a bunch of keyboard shortcuts and pretty closely tied to the internal game engine too. The enemies are all controlled by AI/the computer, so there's no DM-like controls.

Stats like weapon damage, strength, agility, monster health, etc. are just simply numbers, however I'm going to have to implement each skill in code manually. They can't be customized external to the core game.

Turn based online co-op? It will be very interesting to see how you'll get around having to wait for three other people.

You still have to wait for other people to move their characters, however the fast paced nature of the game means it's only ever a few seconds until it's your turn again, unless you all discuss what to do next!

Also, the UI in the first post looks much cleaner and easier to read than the overlays. Transparent UI elements generally just clutter the screen, imo.

By transparent do you mean that it no longer has the grey backing behind it? I could reintroduce that backing easily if more people think it looks better. I'm still iterating on the UI design. I want to make it as simple and relevant as possible, and not a screen full of numbers.

I hope combat will be very varied and interesting, because quite a lot of dungeon hacks become repetitive and boring quite fast because of it.

I completely agree! That's why I'm aiming to do a few things to make this lean towards more of a strategy game than a hack n' slash. Firstly, since I'll be making each level individually I'll be able to give them personality and (hopefully) they will require a little bit of thinking from the player. Some levels will have like floor switches that activate certain doors, or activate floor traps, or reveal secrets, etc. This sort of connectedness between entities is something that random dungeon generators aren't so good at creating. I hope that each level feels quite unique and memorable. Secondly, I'm trying to balance the weapons and characters so that they all have certain abilities which are useful in different scenarios, and there isn't simply a weapon which is always going to be the best. For example, there may be some chestplate armour which gives you great defense, but reduces your movement points, or there may be a staff which shoots fireballs and is good against "ice trolls", but costs a lot of mana and has a weak normal attack against other enemies. Balancing the combat is going to be one of the big challenges however.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and comments. It's very motivating Smiley

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:09 AM »

Day 76
* fixed bug with networked player voting
* experimented with screen resolutions (game is currently 480x270, 4x = 1920x1080)
* 'researched' keyboard/"limited button" UI control schemes (i.e. played NES/GBC games) and used what I found to do wireframes on paper for the Lobby which I will implement tomorrow.

I wasn't as productive today as I have been. I did a lot of work on paper. I played Wizorb (picked it up on Steam this morning - great game by the way), and analyzed the screen resolutions it uses and how it scales on different screen sizes. I thought it would be a good game to look at for my purposes because it expands to widescreen pixel-perfectly on my 1920x1080 monitor. It's got lo-fi resolution graphics, but it's still designed for widescreen. For those of you wondering, Wizorb at 1x is 380x214 which is roughly 5x scaling for a 1920x1080 monitor at fullscreen. My game is currently 480x270 which scales to 4x pixel-perfectly, and I feel like I'm running out of space most of the time when I add UI.

Uykered
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »

What if you did x3 scaling instead (i.e., 360p)? That would allow more viewing area around the players and wouldn't require as much stretching, or are you wanting to keep it as small as possible? I found Wizorb's x5 scaling too much for me, I had to sit a fair distance back to grasp/enjoy it properly. That's just me though.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:34 AM »

What if you did x3 scaling instead (i.e., 360p)?
That's a good idea! I hadn't tried x3 before, and I didn't really realise that 1920x1080 was divisible by 3. I just did some quick tests, and that actually looks quite good! I'll keep that in mind in the future builds Smiley Thanks.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 03:53:03 AM »

Day 77
* Begun implementation of new UI
* Researched more UI/control schemes and screen resolutions

Wireframe:

Implemented so far:

* Weapons/items are placeholder from Dusty's work on his Minecraft tileset. They won't be the ones used in the final game, though either Dusty or Alex will be doing similar sprites for the items.

Here's the old Lobby for comparison.

I'm changing over to keyboard controls, though this UI should work for mouse too.

I also considered the possibility of making this game for iPad as well. If that happens it may only be singleplayer, but it shouldn't be too hard a conversion. Multimedia Fusion 2 can export to iOS apps quite easily.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:10 AM »

Day 78
* Worked on Lobby UI more. Can now go 'in' and 'out' of deep menus with the keyboard.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »

Skeleton Attacks:

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »

Looks great, thanks for the updates.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »

You're a wizard Harry!

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I was sick for about a week and I didn't feel like using my computer a whole lot. I spent a lot of time watching Battlestar Galactica instead, and now I feel like making a sci-fi game! (One day!)

I did do a little bit of work over the past week however:

* Added in enough lobby UI to allow each player to choose a weapon, which carries into the actual game and has damage stats applied correctly.
* Increased resolution to 640x360 (which scales at 3x to 1920x1080).
* Removed "turn voting". After some playtests with friends I decided that turn voting was ultimately a bad mechanic. I initially created it to emulate tabletop games where the players are able to choose who goes first, for strategic reasons. In practice, players would usually just vote for themselves, and there is little strategic benefit to be gained. In addition, it slows down the game a fair bit and is all around confusing. So even though it took a long time to implement. It's cut. Players have a fixed turn order, set at the start of the game.

Which brings us to today, Day 88.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »

Woow. Superb sprites!

Completely out of my reach  Crazy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:24:39 AM by kamac » Logged

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2012, 06:31:40 AM »

Day 91 - SKILLS! And Pre-purchases!

I'm quite happy to say that I've implemented two skills - sprint and double strike! Sprint doubles your movement points but disallows an attack, double-strike gives you an extra attack. The skills are able to be granted based on what weapon you have, so the backend for that is now complete. The Lobby UI keeps getting better but it's still a bit of a hassle to navigate right now. It's all programmer art still.

I also have new wizard attack animations:

I setup a new version of http://DungeonDashers.com which gives you the ability to pre-purchase! Hopefully I will have some playable builds up soon.

I also updated http://www.Jigxor.com/ with a select few games. I wanted a minimal clean design and Brian helped me a lot with this.

stef1a
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »

The characters look pretty incredible. Continue, please.  Coffee
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2012, 07:26:16 AM »

The characters look pretty incredible. Continue, please.  Coffee

Thank you!

Day 92
* Added arrow shooting skill
* UI design on paper

Yngram
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »

This is looking terrific. Love the game concept and the level/character graphics are great so far.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:38 AM »

This is looking terrific. Love the game concept and the level/character graphics are great so far.
Thank you!

Yesterday:

Day 94
* added Knight graphics
* added new temporary UI elements but with a new structure (now moves logically from left to right)
* added ability to choose map dynamically with map selection (it was only loading one map before). Map titles and descriptions loaded from files too.
* added ready countdown (3,2,1, go!)

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »

I'm really happy with how this Knight turned out. I wanted a lean figure and Alex did a really great job with him. I like how his armour shines too!

Day 96

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »

Day 96 (code)
* Added ability for the wizard to shoot Fireballs

I've entered into another fun and creative coding section of the game now. I'm implementing a lot of "content" as opposed to engine code. I'm making all kinds of skills such as shooting fireballs, arrows, healing other players, etc. as well as developing new weapons. I'm a bit unsure on the restrictions for certain weapon types and classes. Should Mages be allowed to use much other than a staff? How will dual-wielding work in UI?

I'm hoping to get a gameplay video up soon as I think the game has a lot to show now. There's still some assets missing, but I know it's hard to follow exactly what the game is without a video, so I'd like to make one of those soon.

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »

Alex HW and Dusty? Nice! This looks great

I agree!  You managed to find some of the best pixel artists for this Smiley  Those guys are great

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »

Great artwork in this one, following  Ninja

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2012, 01:27:08 AM »

Day 100 - Orc

This is an enemy monster that you can encounter. He's designed to be a bit tough to beat. You don't want to run into a pack of orcs.

Great artwork in this one, following  Ninja
Thank you Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic