Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:29:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146819 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: October 19, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »

Interesting, when I spoke to you at PAX you weren't going to do Early Access because you thought it would dilute your sales on release. I'm interested in what changed your mind..

Menu looks great btw. Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: October 19, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »

Interesting, when I spoke to you at PAX you weren't going to do Early Access because you thought it would dilute your sales on release. I'm interested in what changed your mind..

Menu looks great btw. Smiley

I talked with a couple of other devs and people, and it basically seemed like it was a worthwhile thing to do!

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
muzboz
Level 0

Indie game developer from Melbourne, Australia.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: October 19, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »

It does seem like a pretty good idea.

You get people playing the game earlier, which is nice.  And you can start to get some money coming in.

And you can get a sense for what people want to see more of the most, I guess, too.

- Murray
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: October 20, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

Oh right, well I look forward to the finished game! Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

Dungeon Dashers is now available on Steam Early Access!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252210/

antoniodamala
« Reply #645 on: October 25, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »

Dungeon Dashers is now available on Steam Early Access!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252210/

Congrats! I'm waiting for my key  Well, hello there!
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: October 25, 2013, 09:16:37 AM »

Humble Keys will be mailed out as soon as they're available. I'm still waiting on them to process!

Sandman
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 26, 2013, 04:24:57 AM »

Nice job ! Looks great !

And what about other languages translation ? If you look for a french translation, i'm your man Gentleman
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: October 26, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »

I quite like this having just tried it on early access but is there any reason other than to make puzzles that the rogue's blink ability only goes left to right and not inward/outward? It's kind of weird.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: October 26, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »

I quite like this having just tried it on early access but is there any reason other than to make puzzles that the rogue's blink ability only goes left to right and not inward/outward? It's kind of weird.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by inward and outward. The Rogue can blink in all four directions - up down left right.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »

Oh. Up/down doesn't work for me then. When I press Q it only shows green squares left/right and pressing up/down does nothing. Parts of the early levels were inaccessible because of it. Is it a different key than Q?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:16:07 PM by Games Inquirer » Logged

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »

Oh. Up/down doesn't work for me then. When I press Q it only shows green squares left/right and pressing up/down does nothing. Parts of the early levels were inaccessible because of it. Is it a different key than Q?

That is very very strange indeed. Are no walls around when you do that? If there are obstacles, the indicators won't show up.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »

I activated my humble key,
about how long till the steam build has multiplayer button?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »

I activated my humble key,
about how long till the steam build has multiplayer button?

Working on it Tongue

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: October 27, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »

That is very very strange indeed. Are no walls around when you do that? If there are obstacles, the indicators won't show up.
Well, I deleted the game before asking you the question because I only wanted to check it out and wait for the final (well, launch) version to play it properly at its best. I just reinstalled it to check this and take a screenshot of the issue for you and now blink works as you said it does. But I'm 99.99% sure it didn't before. I also see a change in how the warrior's charge worked the first time around. Now he seems to cover a whole line dashing until he hits a dungeon wall, the first time I tried it he only covered a few squares. These handicaps were still enough to get through the first handful of levels without issues so I didn't think it could have been a bug but how the game was designed. Does this make sense to you? Was there a patch? I wasn't drunk Shrug
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:46:05 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2013, 02:37:32 AM »

Well, I deleted the game before asking you the question because I only wanted to check it out and wait for the final (well, launch) version to play it properly at its best. I just reinstalled it to check this and take a screenshot of the issue for you and now blink works as you said it does. But I'm 99.99% sure it didn't before. I also see a change in how the warrior's charge worked the first time around. Now he seems to cover a whole line dashing until he hits a dungeon wall, the first time I tried it he only covered a few squares. These handicaps were still enough to get through the first handful of levels without issues so I didn't think it could have been a bug but how the game was designed. Does this make sense to you? Was there a patch? I wasn't drunk Shrug

I have never heard of that before and it sounds truly bizarre. Now I'm scared.

I'll keep it in mind in case anyone else mentions it. Thanks for letting me know.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: November 22, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »

I haven't written in this devlog for a very long time now. I guess after the game got accepted on Steam I put a lot of attention into that. There's so much day-to-day business stuff I have to do each day now. Replying to emails can take a very long time.

I haven't been putting time into development of the game itself, which is an ongoing theme of this devblog. But there was a time when I was super productive, pretty much exactly one year ago. I was getting a lot of work done and updating this devblog daily.

I think one of the most useful aspects of this devblog is that it gives me accountability to you, the reader, to keep you informed. When I was in the habit of updating this everyday, I would feel guilty if I missed a day. But then when I get into the habit of missing many days in a row it's equally as easy to keep missing them.

So what I want to do is get back into writing down my daily development progress, even if (or especially if) I don't do do any work. It's been too many days to count now exactly how long this project has been going on. I think it's in the realm of 500+ I'll start writing the date down instead, and maybe I'll get back on track to the day numbers at a later state.

23/11/13
* Added new difficulty option for normal and hard modes

The game is normal by default, but players can enable hard mode in the options menu. Hard mode buffs the enemy HP and attack damage and is really quite a lot more challenging and interesting that I had expected. It makes you play the game a bit differently and a bit more intelligently. I also plan to have an even harder difficulty mode that is unlocked when you complete the game. I may also put in some kind of permadeath mode where players aren't revived after fights (for a given level).

DD has been in development for a very long time in terms of real days and years, but the time spent in coding the game has been less. I am still excited about the idea of writing a book-long post-mortem on the game when it's all complete. There's a lot of things I'd like to talk about and share with others.

As a game developer I do play a lot of other titles. I probably play a new game every day or two. There's so much great stuff out there, and in retrospect, perhaps there are some things about Dungeon Dashers that I could have changed to appeal to a larger audience (e.g. just made a more standard roguelike experience with procedural generation, standard loot, but still with my combat system). It's hard to say. A lot of people like the storyline and puzzle elements of the game. I just hope I can make enough and make it interesting for a long period of time.

I guess there's always an opportunity for free updates with new game modes in the future... or Dungeon Dashers 2.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: November 22, 2013, 05:36:57 AM »

It's good to see you post again. I can understand how business development can slowly make you loose such good habits as posting here regulary (happens to us as well currently). Getting back to this is really good!

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: November 22, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »

This looks really fantastic, great job so far!!

Do you have a launch date in mind? Or at a certain amount of features?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: November 22, 2013, 05:46:44 AM »

This looks really fantastic, great job so far!!

Do you have a launch date in mind? Or at a certain amount of features?

The game is currently available on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252210 but I'm planning for a full release sometime in January 2014. Better get cracking!

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic