Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:52:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Dashers - Fast Paced Turn Based Dungeon Crawling [GREENLIT]  (Read 146243 times)
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »

Day 102

Armoured skeleton idle + attack.

This enemy is a tougher version of the skeleton with a real weapon and poses more of a threat.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »

It's hard to write down things that sound interesting when there's a lot of bug fixing and general tweaking rather than entirely new features added!

Day 102
* Added in orcs and armoured skeleton code
* Made a new test map with orcs and armoured skeletons
* Developed new map with orcs

Day 103
* AI Strategy changes depending on enemy type
* Loads last used characters
* Fixed bug where a host could start a game without assigning all players

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »

Day 104
* Now displays current skill and weapon in UI
* Added indicators to show if you can still attack, use a skill, or move on your turn.
* Now saves last used characters
* Now saves last weapon configurations
* Changed damage to depend on weapon type. Melee is strong with higher strength, ranged with higher agility, magic with higher intelligence.
* Added boots which give you more movement points

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »

New monsters look great! Smiley
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »

How did I not notice this before! Mock Anger

Seriously, though, this looks awesome. Send me an email with the relevant details (summary of features, target platforms, estimated release date) and I will do a piece about it on IndieRPGs.com. Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »

New monsters look great! Smiley
Thank you!

How did I not notice this before! Mock Anger

Seriously, though, this looks awesome. Send me an email with the relevant details (summary of features, target platforms, estimated release date) and I will do a piece about it on IndieRPGs.com. Smiley
Thank you! I'll send you an email soon Smiley

I'm looking at a few programs today to record some gameplay videos with. I think that the game is at a stage where I can show a lot of it off without having to explain it now. There's a lot of temporary placeholder art, but I think the 'feeling' of the game is there now.

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

Posting to:
(1) say "wow, really dig the art."
(2) follow the future goodness that comes from this.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »

For recording purposes try Fraps

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »

This seems really cool! Really looking forward to seeing the flow of the gameplay.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »

Day 106

Zombie idle

I'm having a bit of trouble with the video recording stuff. I bought a program called Playclaw to record gameplay with, but the videos are huge (4gb for 3 minutes), and using a compression program on it afterwards makes the sound go out of sync. I really want to get a video out today.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments Smiley

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »

GAMEPLAY VIDEO!

I spent a long time today working out all of the software and settings to get a gameplay video up on Youtube. I ended up using Playclaw for recording and then XVid + Virtualdub for compression. I'm really happy with how it turned out and it's good to be able to show everyone what the game is really like to play now.

Gentleman

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »

Game is looking great and nice to see it in action finally  Smiley

Is there going to be a time limit with moves? or can players take as long as they want to decide?

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »

Game is looking great and nice to see it in action finally  Smiley

Is there going to be a time limit with moves? or can players take as long as they want to decide?

Thanks! I've considered adding in a multiplayer option to limit turn times (such as 30 seconds) to keep the game fast-paced and not make players get bored waiting on one another. However, besides that, if you're playing single-player then you can take as long as you want.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »

Nice, I'm impressed that it's already on such a playable stage of development, good job!  Coffee

Uykered
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »

Looks really nice in motion, more lively than I expected. I do have some concerns, but I won't express them because they're likely issues that may change as I see more.
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

Oh this is looking nice.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »

So sweet in motion. Oh so sweet.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone!

I'm glad I can show everyone the core game now, though I should probably point out a few things that aren't obvious.

The UI is definitely something that will change in the future. It's all programmer/placeholder art by me right now. I think I will change the turn order sprites on the right to be character portraits. All of the skills (the blue boxes) will be changed to nice looking sprites as well and everything will have a more uniform style once an artist gets a go at it. If you have any suggestions about UI I'd love to hear them.

One question I've had from a couple of people is whether something can be done about the movement during "downtime". As you can see in the gameplay video, the players still have to take turns to walk when no monsters are around. There are two solutions I can see to this (through discussion with Alastair). One is that the maps will be a lot more 'dense' so that there will be more action happening all the time (more monsters/chests/buttons/loot) and the only time you'll need to move when nothing is happening is when you've just cleaned out a room. Alternatively, I could implement a "free move" system where you can walk as many steps as you like, granted there are no enemies around. I'm hoping that a "free move" system won't be necessary, as I suspect that it may be confusing/frustrating to switch between unlimited steps and a restricted number of steps. The map in the video is just another test map I made as I haven't put any final maps in - I'm still putting in things like skills and weapons. So it's a bit sparse.

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2012, 05:50:19 AM »

Day 107
* Added zombies in game. They have 1/3 chance of respawning on being killed.
* Added a speed up option during enemies turn. Hold a key and the enemies will move 4x faster than normal to speed up their turn.
* Added chests which you can open and gold spills out
* Added delays between certain actions/events to make it easier to see what is going on (e.g. a pause/delay on player death and firing an arrow)

JigxorAndy
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »

I'd just like to thank everyone who has pre-purchased so far. It's truly motivating! I'm working hard on getting out a playable build for those who have pre-purchased to play with.  Smiley

Day 108
* Fixed Arrows/Fireballs to have better LOS (you could previously shoot enemies that you couldn't see properly). Took ages.
* Added ability to scale the game at runtime at 1x, 2x, 3x, etc. and fullscreen with the F1, F2, F3, etc. keys.
* Fixed how two players on the same square act. No longer bugs out if there are no places left to move, allows you to walk to nearest square.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic