Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:13:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery (Metroidvania with Monkeys!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery (Metroidvania with Monkeys!)  (Read 21590 times)
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »

I was just told that if you skip out of the story when you start a new game, it auto-finishes...wtf? Was pulling my hair out wondering what I did to my code that would screw things up so royally. Turns out, an object mistakenly got added to that room, causing a variable to get turned on. And really, when variables get turned on, things get ugly!

Anyways, that's been taken care of (and updated on the website), so you can grab a proper working copy now  Embarrassed

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »

I went through and did another round of minor updates in the game, here's a quick rundown:

-Extra lives are now earned every 20000pts, rather than every 1000 coins (as well as collecting 5 relics, or finding the heart-jar). Most things are worth points in the game, so it's worth blasting them all to bits!

-I went an doubled the ammo replenishment for the weapons. Am sort of wavering on this as my style of play is not to blast constantly, but seems pretty popular with other people.

-There's more delay now between getting hit, and when you can take damage again. Should make it a little less frustrating, not super easy though.

-Fixed the non-pause glitch in some rooms. You should be able to pause at any point during gameplay now Smiley

-Magmatoro had a few tweaks to his code. Still not perfect, but it's getting there...

-All bosses drop 5 big powerups when you beat them, so you should be able to start the next level with a decent amount of ammo

I think that's about it...oh, and I updated the instruction booklet too (there were a couple spelling mistakes in it, and had to update the extra lives explanation)

Now to figure out what's going on with the random player spawning points for a couple warps, as well as the overall speed in the last level!

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »

Hey guys, so I think it's all ironed out now! I'm pretty happy with the state of the game, and so did up this little video going over each of the levels in the game. The hope is that you come away from it with a good sense of the gameplay, as well as a few thoughts that went into each level. It clocks in at a bit over 5minutes, and is the first video with all the songs for the levels (as well as yours truly narrating!)
The game is done at this point, so now it's a matter of getting it set up on different sites (as well as my homepage). Am looking into different payment systems for it. Right now it's paypal, but that will probably change down the road so that you can automatically download the game after paying..it'll all come in time Smiley

Here's the video:

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »

Steam `greenlight` is meant to launch at the end of Aug, might be worth looking at that.
Also Desura? (if you didnt already know about it)

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2012, 05:03:00 AM »

Dugan, yeah, the timing seems pretty good actually with Greenlight. I might have to look into it! I went through the publishing application steps recently for both Desura (second time's a charm, right?), and Indievania. There are a couple others too that I'm going to shoot for (IndieCity and IndieGameBundle), so with a little luck the game should be one at least one of those sites soon  Smiley

AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »

Here's what I found from playing it:

• First thing I noticed is your buttons mappings are all over the place.

Here's what I'm seeing as the control scheme:

It's totally possible to compress the game's control scheme down to the arrow keys and maybe 3 or 4 other buttons. The big problem comes in your interface controls, which are completely inconsistent from menu to menu.

• Is the game running at 30 FPS? It makes it feel kind of choppy... although I got used to it pretty quickly.
  • When you pass the first locked chest, it brings up a message saying that the chest is locked, but then the message stays on the screen until you press C. It'd be sufficient just to display the message when you're in front of the chest, and have it automatically go away when you walk away from the chest. Other messages like the successful save game message might work better on a timer, instead of forcing the player to press C to make it go away.
  • You can break open the first locked chest with a rock. Are you supposed to be able to do that?
  • If you use up all of the raygun ammo right after you get it, you're permanently stuck and cannot progress without restarting the game. This may sound dumb, since no person would reasonably do that... but nevertheless, your game should not allow the player to get permanently stuck under any circumstances, no matter what they do.
  • There should be something on the HUD that shows you how many keys you have.
  • A minor thing, but you can press T to start a new transmission while you're in the middle of another transmission.
  • If you try to make a transmission and Dr. A has nothing to say, the dialogue just closes when you press Y. You should make it say something like "Nothing to report." instead of just closing in that event.
  • I once had a small glitch where the profile shot of Dr. A remained on the screen after the transmission was over. Starting a new transmission fixed this, though.
  • The little animation that plays with the three bubbles when you're underwater; I think it would be more visually useful if you replaced that with a bar that shows how much air you have left, in addition to the numerical counter.
  • The relic counter seemed glitchy. When I got my 5th relic, the counter went from 4 to 0, and when I got my 6th relic, the counter went from 0 to 2.
  • When you hit all the beacons with the laser in the underwater level, it might be good to have an indication of some sort as to what passage has just opened. A lot of times I couldn't tell what changed in the level after I hit all the beacons.

I loved the graphics in the game (especially in the lava level), and the game was enjoyable... but the big problem I found was that there was nothing special or unique about the game. Especially when your game is a purely gameplay experience, where it's just constant dungeon crawling with little else offered, then the gameplay really needs to stand out. It didn't in this game... the gameplay was fairly mediocre, and as a result, the whole game was very forgettable.

That may sound kind of harsh, but I really think the game either needs to be more fun, more unique, or needs to offer something else (such as a more compelling or funny storyline? More to do in the game world other than fighting and exploring?) that compensates for the gameplay. Having a game that's nothing but gameplay only works if your gameplay is really good.
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »

Wow AndrewFM, thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough write-up on the game! Just so I don't get all mixed up responding to your points, I'll do them one by one in the same order:

Control Scheme:
When I originally started the game, my thought was to have the buttons laid out according to their function (alphabetically)...Y for Yes, C for Continue, just to make it obvious to the player at any moment what should be pressed. I admit that it's cluttered. The 'Z' button is a remnant from an option that I had for player who preferred all the controls on one hand ('X' was used to jump iirc) That's been removed. I've opted out of using the 'T' to bring up hints and tips, as they're all covered in the instruction manual anyhow.
The main buttons you'll use 95% of the time are WASD, arrow keys and the space bar. It's a good call on the inconsitensies in the messages. I'll go through and make sure they are all the same.

Framerate:
The version you played through was 24fps, but I've changed that for the final version to 30fps. A little quicker, but much smoother.

Message Callups:
It might seem odd to have the message stay up indefinitely, but my logic behind it is that it forces the player to acknowledge it rather than skipping past automatically. My purpose behind the game is not to try blasting through it as fast as possible, rather to take some time and explore all the nooks and crannies of each level, so taking an extra second to read a popup isn't something I'm too worried about  Smiley

Treasure Chest:
Yes, it's intentional, but you only get a fraction of the coins that way. It was sort of an easter egg. There are a couple such things in the game that aren't mentioned just to give the player a little sense of discovering a secret.

Ammo:
I've doubled the ammo powerup values for the final version, so it should be highly unlikely that the player would run out. If you do run out of ammo in the first minute or two of the game, you can always pick up the blocks and smash an enemy to try getting powerups. There are other ways as well later in the game, but it takes some experimenting/trial and error.

Keys:
They're in the final HUD

Transmissions from Dr.A and Otis:
As mentioned in the first post, I've opted out of that in favour of flipping through the instruction booklet maps and such. It streamlines things and lets the player focus more on the game than reading messages.

Underwater Timer:
I used bubbles popping to indicate oxygen levels so that it would set itself apart a little bit and be harder to ignore that way (theoretically!).

Relic Collection:
The Relic total resets after every five collected since you earn an extra life that way. I tried it out and didn't notice any jumps in numbers. Maybe I laid two Relics ontop of eachother creating the room? I'll look into it.

Light Beacons: A chime should sound when you open them up. Will look into that if it's not the case. Also, the passageways that open aren't always on the screen and require a little investigation at times  Smiley

End Thoughts:
This game is my first attempt at coding/game making/pixelling, so there will always be a huge amount of improvements that can be made. My reason for making the game in the first place was not to be epic or groundbreaking at all.
This game originally was to be a supplement to an illustrated story that I was working on where the reader could follow along as the character explores the temple, and is really only the first chapter of that on-going story.
It definitely caters to fans of NES' Metroid more than any other group, as I've taken a good deal of cues from that game (the rolling action being the most evident of course). If anyone sits down and play through it for more than a few minutes these days with the lack of any sort of real attention span and should happen to enjoy themselves even a little bit, let alone someone who has taken the time to write such a thorough list of improvements (and still enjoy themselves a little bit), then I think that at the very least, I'm on the right track to making better games down the road!

~Edit~ in an effort to make controls more standardized, I'd switched them from C or F to all require Enter to be pressed instead. It means no skipping through messages, but it's definitely more intuitive. And in the long run, what's a few seconds of your day spent reading really?? Durr...?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:35:54 PM by ScaryPotato » Logged

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »

All right! So, it has been more than four years since I dreamed up the idea of the Adventure Apes, and after going through and making several last tweaks, am declaring it to be completed!

One of the things I changed up was to make the instruction booklet exclusive to the full version of the game, while the demo version was updated to reflect the changes made in the fill version (30fps rather than 24fps, messages from Horatio Hawk, and simplified message controls).

I've got the game up on the Adventure Apes downloads page (used fastspring to set it up and highly recommend them!) and set the price to $2.99US. Hopefully it's not too outlandish given the content and extras that come with it?

Next step will be to apply to have it on other sites and try getting a little bit of press, so wish me luck with that  Grin

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »

Congratulations for completing the project!  Beer!
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »

Congrats on finishing this project, looks really cool! Im guessing youre gonna do some serious celebration now ?  Beer!
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »

Thank you kindly agersant and djdolber! As far as celebrating goes, probably not. I have the sequel planned out and should get started on that while it's still fresh to me...but a little bit of time away from the computer is probably advised  Cheesy

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 11:06:21 PM »

congratulations Smiley and good luck in the future

play hydlide 2
Eatingburger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »

The ability to re-map the keys would be nice. I really don't like having to press [KEY-UP] to jump.
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »

Thanks so much seagaia!  Gentleman

Eatingburger, I did originally have the game set up with alternate keys, but opted to remove them early on. Custom controls is definitely an idea that I'm planning on looking in to for my next games, but right now I really want to avoid going back and adding featurecreep type things, It'd be way too easy to go in and re-work or add all sorts of things that I've got in my mind, and then never actually finish the game...plus I've got to leave some room for improvement right?  Durr...?

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

So, the game is now hosted on indievania, which is pretty great news. Definitely made my day seeing that email come in  Grin

Here is the link if anyone was curious!

Thinking I'm going to have to get my butt in gear about promoting the game here, but this is definitely a nice start.

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:11 AM »

Congrats ScaryPotato! Let us know how it's turning out.

And you should definitely promote the hell out of the game. The more the merrier.

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2012, 04:23:47 AM »

well done on finishing!

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »

oh this is finished ! nice job Smiley

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

Thanks for the good wishes everyone Smiley

I've spent the last couple days emailing sites and trying to set the game up to be hosted on others, slowly working out the bumps in my approach and making a few sales now and then. It's a real thrill to see people downloading my game after slaving away on it for so long!

The one thing I'm a little concerned about now is timing. I've sent emails to review sites and such, and am planning on following up with them to A-Make sure they did actually get my press release, and/or B-Thank them for taking the time to write about my game.

I don't want to pester them, as I'm sure everyone is busy doing their jobs, but it's hard to wait! Also, I'm trying to suss out more sources for write-ups and hosting. 'Tis tricky with my limited exposure and knowledge of the whole scene, but I'm doing my best:)

Another thing that occurs to me is that after an initial first wave of interest, if games don't catch on with a group of people, they tend to fade away, and of course, I want to avoid that! It seems useless though to re-approach sites for articles on the same game, what what the heck do you guys do to keep pushing your games?? I am mostly hoping that this first game generates enough interest to bring people back for my other stuff, and build from there. My thought is that rather than try to keep pushing the first game I should dive straight into the next one relatively soon (a couple weeks at the most).

What do you guys think? Is there any way to keep a project on the top of peoples' minds for an extended time with zero budget??

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »

It took a couple tries, but the Mayan Mystery has been approved/listed on Desura!

I made an initial attempt getting it on the site a while back but was shot down. It stung! After all that work, being denied made me question if my game might be utter crap. I went back and made some changes (faster playback and fullscreen mode being the major ones), applied again, and a little while later, bam! There it is. Needless to say, I'm friggin' thrilled!!

If you like the game in any way, please feel free to track it. I could always use the love and support! Well, hello there!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic