Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:41:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesSoundless Mountain II [NES] FIXED LINK! (OSX / PC)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Soundless Mountain II [NES] FIXED LINK! (OSX / PC)  (Read 229015 times)
Eli (Threeli)
Level 0

I make games sometimes - sometimes music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »

YeEESSSsss! just about sums up my feelings on the subject.  Downloading it right this second. 

I'm working on something.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys. Will get onto the bug fixes when I have a minute tomorrow. Hope you like the ending...  Gentleman

increpare
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »

the yes/no thing is to do with ambiguous font colouring I think...that's always the problem with two-item menus...

I played it a little.  It looks good.  I sort of found all the walking about a little dull after a bit...but...maybe those who've played SH already would be oaky with it, or maybe if I wasn't in such a bad mod today I would.  Interface and general construction is really impressive dude!  Will say more when I've played more.
Eli (Threeli)
Level 0

I make games sometimes - sometimes music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

SH2 is without a doubt the best in the series; and is a plodding thick game.  The pacing adds to the tension in the original, and the same effect is attained here.  I'm loving every second of what's been accomplished.  Glorious.  The atmosphere is just right; from the patients to the fog, even the sfx.  Good job. 

Shows what can be done within such a small constraint!

I'm working on something.
fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »

Wow I just finished it man. Extremely emotional ending for me. I get the feeling this aint done with yet.. Beer!
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »

Can't get this to download, keeps ending prematurely.  Cry
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »

Your fight system is better than the original! Shocked
Love the fog and scanlines, not had time to get very far into the game, but I hope you got a pyramid head coming from the side just like in the friday the 13th nes cart...great job!

My only complain is a lack of 32 letters password function, instead of a user-friendly save.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »

Congratulations mate! ^__^ Very well done indeed. I'm looking forward to giving this a shot *downloading now*.

twitter: @docky
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »

I knew it was going to be good, but that was better than I expected.  Congrats!

Are you going to continue with this?  Doing a full remake would be a rather big projects, but that would be pretty friggin sweet.

tweet tweet @j_younger
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2008, 12:39:19 AM »

the yes/no thing is to do with ambiguous font colouring I think...that's always the problem with two-item menus...

I'll put an arrow in there something...

Congratulations mate! ^__^ Very well done indeed. I'm looking forward to giving this a shot *downloading now*.

Hope you liked it sir!

Your fight system is better than the original! Shocked
Love the fog and scanlines...

Thanks so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Wow I just finished it man. Extremely emotional ending for me. I get the feeling this aint done with yet.. Beer!

It might end up getting finished one day lil' bro...  Thanks for the comment.

SH2 is without a doubt the best in the series; and is a plodding thick game.  The pacing adds to the tension in the original, and the same effect is attained here.  I'm loving every second of what's been accomplished.  Glorious.  The atmosphere is just right; from the patients to the fog, even the sfx.  Good job. 

Shows what can be done within such a small constraint!

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to achieve.  If the game is difficult and frustratingly slow, it's all deliberate.  I analysed the first fifteen minute's footage of the game for over ten hours, looking at every pause and transition.  To make the intro walk any shorter would have been to destroy the original material.  I definitely wasn't trying to make an arcade game.  You don't have to kill a single demon if you don't want to.  That was important to me too.

Oh and the sound - that was the most fun part!  Akira Yamaoka is one of my heroes, and with me having been a drum'n'bass producer for ten years that kind of spooky weird sound design is a big part of it!

valentingalea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2008, 12:40:40 AM »

This is amazing! Excelent job!

But I think it also shows the power of the original SH2, a 'port' in such a limited medium still holds that special charm and atmosphere!
fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2008, 01:22:33 AM »

Yo - having slept on it, I've been pondering that you know you're playing a good demake when your thinking 'I wonder how this is going to play out when to that bit with the..' in this case I was really looking forward to getting my hands on an 8 bit gun and taking out some demons with a glorious low-grade shooting sound. Even if it's something we just implement over a weekend just for fun, we should blatantly do it man.

I've had the privilage of playing pretty much everything you've ever made, and I'm going to cautiously say that is your finest work. It really got under my skin. You know I've been to scared to play the original SH2 on my own Wink, but I think I might finally be ready thanks to this project inspiring me. I'd really love to go through the first 20 mins or so with you, so you can point out all your nuances. Any way, well done man, I'm gonna come see you soon..
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2008, 02:08:59 AM »

Yes definitely - I want to at least finish the apartments and the PH encounter.  It will be coming in a non-compo version in a month or so...

wormfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2008, 02:27:19 AM »

Really good stuff mate. Good to see a fellow max user too. whats your name on the blitz forums? im Pete Carter, the one who asks the bloody stupid question  Embarrassed
Lorc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2008, 03:10:20 AM »

Wow - I stop paying attention for a couple of days and you go and roll this out.  Congratulations - very nice.

Even if it won't be part of the competition, I hope you do finish the apartment (no pressure Wink).  Are there any other sprites you're still missing for that section?
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2008, 03:14:28 AM »

Yes please Lorc!  I need you to finish the Apartment sprites... 

Have you completed the game yet?  Hope you like your credit!

I'll email you later with what I need.

Thanks man.

redshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2008, 03:28:17 AM »

Looking forward to playing through to the ending.. also loved the last demo!  

The music is sounding so perfect, it almost improves on the original, that's no mean feat.

Also the gameplay is well balanced now, combat works really well, it's getting real satisfying flattening those bad guys, you know this..

Hope you win the contest!!  Speak soon man

Sad

Smiley
Lorc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2008, 04:54:37 AM »

Yes please Lorc!  I need you to finish the Apartment sprites... 

Have you completed the game yet?  Hope you like your credit
I did complete it, thank you.  I'm proud to have been able to contribute to this (though I'm fighting the urge to fiddle with the patient demon some more so his walk animation flows better.  In my defense he was my first animated sprite ever).

Triangle head's attacks are proving to be a bit of an arse to get right - but I've not abandoned you just yet.  In the meantime I'm pixelling a few of the apartment's key items as a palate cleanser.
fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2008, 05:25:28 AM »

I'm so glad I'm still seeing posts that indicate work is still being done on this! Lorc - thanks for helping my brother out with his project, your sprites are fantastic.
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »

Wow, this is fantastic! you translated perfectly the original feel of the game to yours; The game scrolling does a wonderful job at mimicking the camera angles; giving that "sense of despair" of not knowing whats ahead.

Music was fantastic also...my only gripe (if any) is the hard time i had (dunno if it was only my pc) exiting the game.

Top notch job!  Beer!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic