Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:38:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions7DRL 2012: March 10th-18th
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: 7DRL 2012: March 10th-18th  (Read 21975 times)
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »

Wow, you guys are... super quick. I'm using this roguebasin article and I'm up ready to begin step 4. Everybody else looks slightly more advanced than that  Embarrassed
When you've done a bunch of game-jams it's easier to know what to leave out, what to do a quick and dirty hack of, what to cannibalise from old code, and what to do properly.  Plus you just can get a lot faster with practice!  My first 7DRL I got nowhere, and I was totally astonished at what others could accomplish.

That article seems to me more like how to do it in a proper structured way, not necessarily how best to do it quickly.  I'd say:
- Focus on getting player and monsters moving and hitting each other ASAP.  This is the bit where it's actually a game!
- Keep the map very basic, just walls and floor.
- Keep equipment and experience very basic, if you need them at all.  I'm just going with single-use items and no stats, no leveling.
- Don't bother with loading/saving, datafiles, etc.
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:29 AM »

I'll try something, I'll learn Unity3d by the way...

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 04:54:00 AM »

Wow, you guys are... super quick. I'm using this roguebasin article and I'm up ready to begin step 4. Everybody else looks slightly more advanced than that  Embarrassed
When you've done a bunch of game-jams it's easier to know what to leave out, what to do a quick and dirty hack of, what to cannibalise from old code, and what to do properly.  Plus you just can get a lot faster with practice!  My first 7DRL I got nowhere, and I was totally astonished at what others could accomplish.

That article seems to me more like how to do it in a proper structured way, not necessarily how best to do it quickly.  I'd say:
- Focus on getting player and monsters moving and hitting each other ASAP.  This is the bit where it's actually a game!
- Keep the map very basic, just walls and floor.
- Keep equipment and experience very basic, if you need them at all.  I'm just going with single-use items and no stats, no leveling.
- Don't bother with loading/saving, datafiles, etc.

I would also say before adding anything. stop and think about if it is needed. For example:

Hit Chance. does your game need Hit chances? what stats will it use? would it be better to always hit? do you need to add a new stat.

if it takes 30 minutes to get hit chances up and running, and you decide its not needed you just saved yourself 30 minutes.

also I would say pick one thing that makes your game stand out. Focus on that and when adding or removing something ask how does it go with my main focus. Dont be afraid to throw something out. Good Past Examples.

- Crypt Rover: focused on a hunger clock mechanic. had only one enemy and combat was deterministic

- smart kobold: focused on Enemy AI. and it as pretty great.

- viscious Orcs: simple game and had excellent story I think.

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »

Got FOV working and some HUD and stuff...
That's not a perfect example of the fov as character hasn't moved yet at all.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »

Well, my work picked a shitty week to have mandatory overtime. New end goal: complete basics of combat system.

Edit: Actually I may ditch that entirely and go solely for an exploratory RL.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:22:59 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »

Perhaps you can do something stealthy like Gruesome

Dragonmaw
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »

I'm thinking a non-violent exploration game where you have to disarm traps and avoid monsters (maybe with spells, idk yet).
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »

My progress... learning Unity3d at the same time. Good tool to prototype, but you have to know how to program if you want to do anything...

Did not generated dungeon yet, but this should not be a problem, i could use http://www.stevegargolinski.com/minidungeon-a-free-random-dungeon-jump-start-for-unity/ or any cave generation system. I was more interested about the gameplay.

I was thinking of a "turn-based" gameplay but with continuous movement. You control time but in a continuous way, not by turn (like if you do "pause" when you want)... Have to continue prototyping this...

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »

HERE is what I have so far. I was hoping to get a little farther. Still need a few more animations. You can move using the arrow keys and use a fireblast attack by hitting A. which damages all around you. punch out buildings to fill up your attack. I was hoping that the combat would be more exciting then it currently is. I wanted a feeling of constantly pushing forward after your baby. any suggestions?

P.S. I haven't got the game ending at level 10 yet, and I havent got dying working yet and there are a few bugs which still cause problems.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

JP - that's very cute and sad. Monsters have feelings too!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »

Fun game so far Jason, just had the bug though when I was playing where the controls stopped working everytime I used the fire power.

And cute little characters  Smiley

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 01:31:54 AM »

Fun game so far Jason, just had the bug though when I was playing where the controls stopped working everytime I used the fire power.

And cute little characters  Smiley
Yeah I had that bug too.
Btw a simple proposition for polishing. Could you skip animation for offscreen enemies, as it's annoying to wait for 'em if you can't see 'em?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »

thanks guys. Now its on to making the game a little more challenging and giving the player actual choices.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »

I'm falling a bit behind, I've yet to implement any of the entities besides the player. AI will probably be pretty lame unless I put in some extra time tonight or tomorrow. Stuff is happening, though!  Grin

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »

Hoping to have some free time tonight to attack this. Overtime sucks!

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »

My progress so far http://www.2dif.com/Unity/7DRL/1/

I tried to keep to "turn based" feeling of roguelikes (that leads to some strategic choices, and also to not be stressed while playing, as ennemies won't play as long as you don't play)
Of course it's an early prototype, ennemies are stupid, maps are random, no traps, no equipment...
But please tell me what you think about this.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »

@Jason: That's really cool, I love the animations, although I was another one who got frozen to the spot after pressing 'A'.

@Peous: Looks promising. The 'turn based' feeling that you're going for is slightly ruined at the moment by the lack of a cap on top speed, although having said that hurtling around at twice the speed of light was pretty fun in and of itself.  At the moment the chests don't seem to do anything when you pick them up - what do you have planned for these?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »

Thanks Paul, here's a new version
V2 - http://www.2dif.com/Unity/7DRL/2/
- Capped speed
- You have health, & chests give health (for now)
- Fixed bug: hit ennemies now knockbacks them
- Added some -minimal- traps
V3 - http://www.2dif.com/Unity/7DRL/3/
- Added hud
- Chests now give stats bonus
- Hitting enemies with some speed does more damage
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:50:36 AM by peous » Logged

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »

Got combat in.
Lots of potential for aerial combat, fun floaty floaty dynamics. I'm enjoying it a lot.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 08:18:38 AM »

so today should be the last day for me as I started last saturday.

go a list of fixes still to go in so its going to be a busy night.

To DO:
01. Add Roar special power
02. balance tank output
03. balance health output
04. make fade on finish level
05. better fireball sprite
06. add title screen
07. add End Screen
08. add Death sprite
09. add remove effects to the clear Map function
10. make spells not give health from red buildings.
11. tanks drive into each other on spawn
12. make tank wander if it cant path.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic