Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:03:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsTIGS Compo Idea Pool - Thread 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Compo Idea Pool - Thread 2  (Read 100163 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »

The old thread was getting a little bloated, so here's a new one!

Post your ideas for future TIGS compos here!

Please try to make them interesting, especially in terms of restricted development structure (example: Assemblee).

I'll start off with an easy one:

Mash-Up Compo
All assets must be taken from other games or be public domain. A maximum of 3 elements can be taken from any one source. You may edit public domain assets to avoid any legal hassles, but they still count as coming from that particular source. Inspired by the musical art of mash-ups.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »

To keep the legacy alive

Giant Naked Man
Make a game featuring a giant naked man.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

What's Yours Is Mine Compo We all post a premise for a game in a thread -- then just before the comp starts the ideas get randomly assigned to each participant.

Edit: And each premise must fit within 128 characters.

Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »

Tournament bracket: two people face off against each other. Either they make a special game for each matchup, or everyone makes a game at the start, and then face off in that way.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »

ALRIIIGHT

Huge Disappointment Compo
Huge Disappointment CompoThere are two separate voting brackets for "hype" and "actual game", and anyone is allowed to lie about their progress. (i.e. claiming mockups are screenshots, changelogs that lie about having added incredible stuff, etc.)

You can upload your game and show the actual game to anyone you like at any time, but that's risking crushing your possibility for winning the hype bracket.

"Hype" voting must close a few days before "Actual Game" voting opens, so that anyone who's been faking the entire time can come out and say so. (Er, and so everyone else can upload their games :D)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:38:29 PM by Droqen » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Here's an idea I've had for a while, but never got round to doing....

The Variation

The competition starts with the creation of a "blank game", a game that is playable and fun, but has a lot of room for improvement or variation. For example, a generic clone of some genre or game - wizards of wor, arkanoid, roguelike, etc. The blank game would have a lot of supporting functionalty in it (e.g., LOS if its a roguelike, physics if its a platformer) and is coded in a simple and understandable way that allows easy modification.

The competition is then to create variants of that game. Finally, after we've all finished, all the variants are compiled together to make a single game that contains 100's of variations of itself. Ideally the variations would all be distinct -- e.g., not contain 50 different 'ega demake' variations.

The main difficulty in running this competition would be the language. We would have to agree on a language to code it in -- which I assume will be impossible. I guess flash is the language of choice for most people here..?

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:16:19 AM »

Single screen compo.

Make a game with a set resolution, single screen, any game type, art style, whatever.
Just use a SINGLE SCREEN to play. Title screens, credits, options screens are not part of the limitation.

Yeah.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »

Title screens, credits, options screens are not part of the limitation.

Why not?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:31 AM »

Single screen, no scrolling, everything is part of the limitation. That could be real interesting.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

Single screen, no scrolling, everything is part of the limitation. That could be real interesting.

This is a sweet idea, any idea when we could expect another Compo?

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »

Has my vote too. So, when can we start?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:10:24 AM »

Let me talk to Derek about it!
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »

Single Screen sounds like a great concept! Would love to get involved with a contest like that~
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 03:12:24 AM »

ALRIIIGHT

Huge Disappointment Compo
Huge Disappointment CompoThere are two separate voting brackets for "hype" and "actual game", and anyone is allowed to lie about their progress. (i.e. claiming mockups are screenshots, changelogs that lie about having added incredible stuff, etc.)

You can upload your game and show the actual game to anyone you like at any time, but that's risking crushing your possibility for winning the hype bracket.

"Hype" voting must close a few days before "Actual Game" voting opens, so that anyone who's been faking the entire time can come out and say so. (Er, and so everyone else can upload their games :D)
Best idea ever!

NighteySenpai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »

Don't know if this is possible, so I beg your pardon.

I have an idea, We can have a genre-different game.

Rules: Storyline must progress the same way as it was since the beginning.

Idea: Say we create a game, on the first level you make a platformer with Mario as leading character, in the second level you have to change your genre, perhaps give it RPG Elements? AND SO ON. Stage 3 can be a puzzle etc.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »

Any idea how long till the next compo?  Weeks/Months?  Keen to do another  Grin

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »

TIGArcade Compo

Design Session:
People create short or mid-length arcade style games (endless/long/burst play, always competitive score-based.) Games can be about anything, involve anything, be in any format. Easy start recommended (no install).
Multiple entries recommended.

Play Session:
People fight for high scores in as many of the compo games they can and keep track of their scores by posting screenshots/etc to the game's thread. Game creators will keep up a leaderboard in the first post.

Games will win for popularity (most played) and for 'best game' (maybe the same, maybe not), and all games will get some play and some exposure and lots of feedback from people who are actually playing the game for a bit trying to get a good score.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Dragonmaw
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »

Any idea how long till the next compo?  Weeks/Months?  Keen to do another  Grin

I would like to start one at the beginning of April.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

Nintencase Competition
Another two-parter, riffing on Famicase:

Design Stage:
Everybody makes custom NES/GB cartridge images. As many as possible. Tons.

Game Stage:
People pick their favourite cart and make a game based on it.

Big blanks below

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »

I too would like another Famicomp

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print