Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:07:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsTIGS Compo Idea Pool - Thread 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Compo Idea Pool - Thread 2  (Read 100164 times)
Theophilus
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »

Maybe an SNES cart would be cool too.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

I couldn't find a good blank one, but yup

I too would like another Famicomp

Well, Famicase 12 happens in April-May. But I'd like to involve us more

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »

Well it was a successful tigs comp before .. A Game By Its Cover, but I'd like to take part this time. Smiley

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »

I don't like the idea of revisiting old compo themes. It's just not the way TIGers do things. Tiger

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »

new compo, new theme. make it happen!

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 01:04:23 AM »

oh man, this is exciting. I would like to do another tig comp, it has been a while since I did one.

Operator comp:

Someone describes a game, then the next person make it from that description. Then someone writes a description of the game that was made, and the next person in line makes a game based on that description. Rinse repeat. This would need to be done in serial, but there is no reason that a few parallel versions of the comp couldn't be going on at once.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:50 AM »

Title screens, credits, options screens are not part of the limitation.

Why not?
Sorry for not answering sooner.

Well, when I say single screen is that the gameplay is in one screen only, but you can create another screen for the mentioned parts, because it would help to separate the components.

But I was expecting someone to be creative and stick a full blown game in a single screen, options and stuff.

Also, I'm glad people thought it was interesting. I'll do my  best to participate.

Yeah.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 03:23:06 AM »

Single screen sounds great would like to try and participate in the next comp, not sure my skills are up there yet but would be a good test to see how far I've come.

TIGS FORUM APPROPRIATION COMP
One idea I had was that people would have to make games using only assets from the tigs forums. Would be interesting to see what people's work is used and what people are able to come up with.

STORY COMP
Another idea I had was that an in depth story would be voted upon. Not sure where we'd get it from, whether made up from the creative writing section or just choose a book or movie (e.g Romeo and Juliet, To Kill A Mockingbird) and then people would have to create their game using any game genre and any approach to tell the story voted upon. Could be fun to see how people interpret the same story completely different.

Just some ideas I had...

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »

The Officially Licensed TIGSourceTM Game
We try our hand at making a licensed game. The license of course would be TIGSource itself. The game should feature the TIGs joystick as the main character , lots of monocled gentlemen Gentleman, plenty of TIGer sauce Tiger, and of course a giant naked man. The winning game goes down in history as the official game of TIGSource and the TIGForums.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 06:03:18 AM »

Let me talk to Derek about it!

Any idea how long till the next compo?  Weeks/Months?  Keen to do another  Grin

I would like to start one at the beginning of April.

Kickass timing, I'm in for sure if the theme is good.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »

STORY COMP
Another idea I had was that an in depth story would be voted upon. Not sure where we'd get it from, whether made up from the creative writing section or just choose a book or movie (e.g Romeo and Juliet, To Kill A Mockingbird) and then people would have to create their game using any game genre and any approach to tell the story voted upon. Could be fun to see how people interpret the same story completely different.

+1 for this.

How about games based on Aesop's Fables? There's plenty of fables I've never heard of..

The Ass and the Grasshopper An Ass having heard some Grasshoppers chirping, was highly enchanted; and, desiring to possess the same charms of melody, demanded what sort of food they lived on to give them such beautiful voices. They replied, "The dew." The Ass resolved that he would live only upon dew, and in a short time died of hunger.

The Boy Hunting Locusts A boy was hunting for locusts. He had caught a goodly number, when he saw a Scorpion, and mistaking him for a locust, reached out his hand to take him. The Scorpion, showing his sting, said: If you had but touched me, my friend, you would have lost me, and all your locusts too!"

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 02:42:27 AM »

How about MMO competition? With HeroEngine it could actually be doable.

Also +1 for the story compo

Dragonmaw
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »

So, after talking to Derek:

Official compos will probably make a return after he's done with Spelunky HD, hopefully on a more regular schedule. Any compo I run will be strictly unofficial. That being said, they can be a sort of... official unofficial compo. Hah.

So our choices are:

1.) I start one of the suggested themes as a compo for April. It runs for the duration of April, voting for the Duration of May, and we have 1-2 months of cool-off/polish time until the next compo.
2.) We wait until we get admin support for subforums and frontpage

I'll leave the decision up to you guys.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »

Unofficial kinda... didn't work before. I was the sole victor, eheh. Unless there was a good way to make an announcement and drum up publicity, I'd say to wait.

My idea...

Timeline Compo Each game must take place over an extremely large period of in-game time, either in segments or continuously.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »

I think a competition would at very least need its own dedicated sub-forum, along with a few news posts at key points.  Those without haven't done well.

I'm guessing that only Derek can add such a sub-forum, but I'd assume that anyone dedicated enough could manage the compo at that point?
Theophilus
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »

I'd rather wait for an official comp too. We've had 3 or 4 unofficial ones that weren't very big.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »

Biggest respect to Derek for all his work with this site and community, but it's a huge fail that he's a necessary component of an official TIG comp. I get that he's an official, but why aren't there more officials whom are active?

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »

Wait for the official compo for sure.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 09:27:48 PM »

I'll throw another idea in here ...

BoardGame-Like

Look through the classification of board games here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/581158/an-alternative-classification-of-board-games-long and choose a few of the mechanisms and genres from the  bullet points (or at random), e.g.,

Discard Pool: Turns involve discarding a card, and refilling your hand with a random card or a card from a common discard pool, not necessarily in that order. + Pathfinding: Manipulate pieces into alignments that help you move multiple times at once.

and then build a game with those features..

Axelhein
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:42 AM »

How about MMO competition? With HeroEngine it could actually be doable.

Sounds awesome! I think it would really force people to make some small and interesting MMOs.

I'll throw another idea in here ...

BoardGame-Like

That also sounds very fun. I've had a few ideas for that kind of game. I think computers can add a lot to Board Games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic