Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:23:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477764 times)
derp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 15, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »

Some things I've noticed that could preferably be changed:

-the who killed who thingy in the upper right is a bit messy, maybe some other clean GUI
-smoother netcode
-a chat function
-counter how many people are in the server, visible from the lobby
-engineer now is basically a slower scout, he needs some kind of build function
-remove Quote
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »

And to start, can we calm down on the flaming and arguing in this thread, take it somewhere else. Let's leave this space for discussing game development issues. We still appreciate your feedback, suggestions, and contributions, but let's keep this a friendly place.

I would like for this too. This is a place to discuss the development, all flaming and trolling should be done elsewhere.

And I have to say, this goes for both sides of the flaming/trolling.

One thing I would like to discuss, is other possible methods of doing the netcode.
Is 39dll the best thing available, or are there other dlls that would perform better with lots of players..over the internet?

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »

From skimming the thread at 4chan, it definitely seemed that the majority shared his opinion. Helltrikky at first agreed with me, then he was berated for siding with the "butthurt fags", so he very quickly "changed his mind".

I changed mind because I played the mod, not because I was berated (I said "I don't like where this is going" before playing it)  Smiley

...IN HELL!!
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »

39dll lets you use TCP and UDP sockets in GM and provides methods to write/read different datatypes to them. The problems don't come from the dll. It's just that it's really difficult to keep the needed bandwidth low. GG2 currently transfers 3 bytes per player every frame, and 10 bytes per player every fifth frame, to every player (plus TCP/IP overhead for each packet, which is 40 Bytes). But as more people join a server, the required upstream bandwidth of the server rises quadratically. Also, the server will at times have to retransmit lost TCP packets, which causes short bursts of additional bandwidth. The best measure to prevent the famous networking errors is currently to lower the player limit on your server until they disappear.
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »

Just wondering Medo is most of your time going into updating engineer,working on bugs/net issues or the map update?

Gang Garrison is Awesome
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »

Man you guys are lucky they modded your game.
What a tribute to your tribute.

Make the game open source and let's see what happens!
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 15, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »

You didn't really answer my question. Are you going to port this from Game Maker after the competition is over?
patonki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

I wanted to contribute somehow, so I created a turret.

Tell me what you think. I threw it together in paint. The animation is for the sentry startup, and the desembodiesd parts are the stable part, and the rotating part, which aims at players. Feel free to use, if it's good enough.

Here is a the raw file
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »

Just wondering Medo is most of your time going into updating engineer,working on bugs/net issues or the map update?

Most of my time goes into reading and answering this thread. Which is why I'll *really* limit myself to posting here once a day now. And I already wrote that I won't work on the game until the weekend.

See you tomorrow.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »

Tell me what you think. I threw it together in paint. The animation is for the sentry startup, and the desembodiesd parts are the stable part, and the rotating part, which aims at players. Feel free to use, if it's good enough.

Here is a the raw file

that's really awesome

...IN HELL!!
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 15, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »

Nice turret sprite.

One issue that's been brought up about the turrets is balance. If implemented, they'd either be underpowered to the point of uselessness, or they'd be insta-rape. A happy medium would be very difficult to achieve.

One suggestion that came up is perhaps the Engineer could spawn some sort of block that has a limited supply of health, and stops bullets, etc. but not players. Obviously, there'd need to be a limit on how many an engie can spawn at once, otherwise people would just set up an infinite shield and turtle in their flag room.

Also, chat. Now.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:29:53 PM by Rawrl » Logged
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 15, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »

Nice turret sprite.

On issue that's been brought up about the turrets is balance. If implemented, they'd either be underpowered to the point of uselessness, or they'd be insta-rape. A happy medium would be very difficult to achieve.

One suggestion that came up is perhaps the Engineer could spawn some sort of block that has a limited supply of health, and stops bullets, etc. but not players. Obviously, there'd need to be a limit on how many an engie can spawn at once, otherwise people would just set up an infinite shield and turtle in their flag room.

Also, chat. Now.

Will it block teammates' bullets too?

...IN HELL!!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »

Here is a the raw file

That looks fantastic! I already did a sentry sprite, but never got around to doing an animation for it. Your's is simple, but it would totally work. Thanks for your contribution, when the time comes to get sentries up and running, I'd say theres a good chance yours will make it in.
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »

Will it block teammates' bullets too?

I dunno, what do you think? It might be kind of annoying if it does, and it'd present numerous opportunities for griefing, but it might be better to have it block everything to prevent abuse.

Either way has its pros and cons, so I guess it's up to whoever implements it. If enough people bitch about it we could always change it.
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 15, 2008, 01:42:47 PM »

Just about done, RED side is completely finished. Wink

2dfort revisted:
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2008, 01:50:29 PM »

GG2 currently transfers 3 bytes per player every frame, and 10 bytes per player every fifth frame, to every player (plus TCP/IP overhead for each packet, which is 40 Bytes).

What data do those bytes actually represent?
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »

Just about done, RED side is completely finished. Wink

2dfort revisted:

wow, thats pretty cool, you should mirror the red side and change the color pattlete, anyways this is awesome Grin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:57:21 PM by HELLTRIKKY » Logged

...IN HELL!!
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »

The explosions and smoke don't look 8-bit.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »

The explosions and smoke don't look 8-bit.

I'll do some 8-bit explosions and smoke  Grin

...but later
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:36:18 PM by HELLTRIKKY » Logged

...IN HELL!!
Hitlerchan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »

Love the game good job guys.

Only 1 suggestion, Ze Game Needz Zeee Samvich.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic