Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:49:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477779 times)
patonki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »

From what I understand, your going open-source? I hope this means that players will create these features and send them to you, and we get the complite version faster.

Or does this mean you're quittin' the project and leaving it to the players? That'd make me very pissed against the modifyers then.
derp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »

Ok, first thing's first
finally fixed the stairs! Not all, but at least the most of them

Now, for some critique:

-medic is too damn overpowered now. He's basically a self-healing, others-healing pyro. he should definitely only be either healing OR shooting, not both. and maybe make his weapon a bit weaker

-pyro is now to underpowered i think. if you could make his flame a bit stronger but the burning a bit weaker, it'd be perfect

-soldier is shooting his rockets too fast. just leave the fire rate how it was before. but reduce the damage his own rockets do to him

other than that, chat would be nice, but you're on it already, so, good luck and nice work so far!
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »

[...]
-pyro is now to underpowered i think. if you could make his flame a bit stronger but the burning a bit weaker, it'd be perfect
[...]

I think the Pyro is fine

...IN HELL!!
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »

Ok, first thing's first
finally fixed the stairs! Not all, but at least the most of them

Now, for some critique:

-medic is too damn overpowered now. He's basically a self-healing, others-healing pyro. he should definitely only be either healing OR shooting, not both. and maybe make his weapon a bit weaker

-soldier is shooting his rockets too fast. just leave the fire rate how it was before. but reduce the damage his own rockets do to him

other than that, chat would be nice, but you're on it already, so, good luck and nice work so far!

Thanks for the critique there.

I shall keep this in mind, and change them for my next update Smiley
It was interesting to see how people made use of the Medic now :D

In the next update, due to what I will be introducing...I will also be aiming to have the classes balanced...unlike their current stats.

Btw, are people finding the medical cabinets to be useful?

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »

[...]
[...]

I think the Pyro is fine

I thought this as well now. Pyro's current stats are set half way between default, and when I made them rather big.

He seems to just be weak, because of Medic...which I actually expected.

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
Grimmy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »

t's a good game but After the Faucet Logo it crashes for me, but it works on my laptop,

Laptop: Windows Vista Ultimate
PC: Windows Vista Ultimate

I really want to play this on my pc

Please help me
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:35 AM »

From what I understand, your going open-source? I hope this means that players will create these features and send them to you, and we get the complite version faster.

Or does this mean you're quittin' the project and leaving it to the players? That'd make me very pissed against the modifyers then.

The new changes are very good, and its nice to see so much getting done so quickly. I can't speak for all of us, but I am definitely not quitting this project or giving  up and moving on. I am still very interested in the changes being made and the future of this game, there just isn't much for me to do and my life is quite busy over the next two weeks, so I'm just taking a step back and seeing where this goes.

I want to update the first post with the latest 'unofficial' version so that newcomers will be able to play these new releases, but whenever I try to start the lobby, I get the error 'Unable to connect to lobby server - might be down'. So I haven't been able to play today. Once the network code gets patched up and everything is running smoothly, we can probably canonize Zephro's version as the latest 'official version', but I'll need my compatriots permission before that happens.

I'm not exactly sure what its status is, but MedO had mentioned to me that he was probably going to take a swing and fixing the network code in the unofficial versions, but I'm not quite sure when that will happen. So to those modding/working independantly on the game/Zephro, I'd get in all the gameplay changes you want to make now, and then perhaps we'll take it and get everything running smoothly and release that as the latest 'official version'.

Sorry if the post is a bit rambly and doesn't say all that much, I'm feeling a bit out of the loop. I just wanted to update people on where we are at, or at least where I think we are at before I run off to deal with the difficulties of real life.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »

Once the network code gets patched up and everything is running smoothly, we can probably canonize Zephro's version as the latest 'official version', but I'll need my compatriots permission before that happens.
I'm not exactly sure what its status is, but MedO had mentioned to me that he was probably going to take a swing and fixing the network code in the unofficial versions, but I'm not quite sure when that will happen. So to those modding/working independently on the game/Zephro, I'd get in all the gameplay changes you want to make now, and then perhaps we'll take it and get everything running smoothly and release that as the latest 'official version'.

Sorry if the post is a bit rambly and doesn't say all that much, I'm feeling a bit out of the loop. I just wanted to update people on where we are at, or at least where I think we are at before I run off to deal with the difficulties of real life.

Big thanks for that post there mrfredman  Smiley

I am more than happy that MedO will take a swing at the network code, as I haven't a clue myself on how to solve it  Shocked

I haven't used 39dll in quite a while, so this took a bit of coffee to remember it all  Grin

As you have mentioned, we all have lots to deal with in real life  Sad
So whenever I am not sleeping or working, I shall work on this...in order to get as much done with it as i can, before it all becomes an official version Smiley

Oh and don't worry if you feel your post is rambly...because I am just as bad  :D

MedO should have a PM now btw, with a link to the source of 1.13b  Wink

Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2008, 09:41:14 AM »

Medic has a gun now  Grin

Ah. I really enjoyed the medic solely because he didn't actually have a gun, he was just a team player. I can imagine this'll unbalance things completely. Also the idea of a chat function I'm worried about, because any form of chat can cause a lot of mischief, annoyance, and rage. The option to turn it off would be nice, but I can imagine most would feel obligated to leave it on. Personally I thought everything other than the spawn camping was perfect in the last version.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »

[...] Also the idea of a chat function I'm worried about, because any form of chat can cause a lot of mischief, annoyance, and rage.[...]

but it's a team based game, you need to talk to your team mates!
The anoyance/rage thing, it's a risk all chats suffer, but it's not like it always happens

...IN HELL!!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »

Medic has a gun now  Grin

Ah. I really enjoyed the medic solely because he didn't actually have a gun, he was just a team player. I can imagine this'll unbalance things completely. Also the idea of a chat function I'm worried about, because any form of chat can cause a lot of mischief, annoyance, and rage. The option to turn it off would be nice, but I can imagine most would feel obligated to leave it on. Personally I thought everything other than the spawn camping was perfect in the last version.

I agree with you on both points Vegetable, I'm a bit worried about the chat function too, a free multiplayer shooter will often attract hordes of 13-year olds, who aren't often the most pleasant people to play with. If it does go into the game, having an option to turn it off, or at least ignore certain people would have to be a necessity.

I also agree on the point about giving the medic a weapon, I tried playing your version, and wound up getting killed by a medic guarding the intelligence three times. When we were first making this, what I was trying to do with each class was distill it down to its essence, so the pyro just burns, the heavy just shoots, and the medic just heals. I don't think giving a long range weapon to the medic at this time really works. It would be nice to give everyone melee weapons because I think that would be an easy way to do it, but that is a fair amount of work. For the same reason, I also don't like what's been done to the spy, the TF2 spy doesn't cloak and shoot, he disguises and backstabs, and takes out sentries. I think that the similarities to TF2 is definitely a big part of the game's charm (at least to Tf2 players) and by decking out the classes with new stuff, we start to become just a 2-d generic shooter rather than a TF2 tribute/bootleg.

My one other complaint about the newest gameplay changes is that the soldier seems overpowered now. You can't get near them as anything except maybe another soldier, you just run into a wall of rockets. That was always a problem in earlier versions, and I feel like a quick solution would be to add a long reload after 4 shots, maybe for 2 seconds, so that players have to think about how they want to use their rockets, rather then just spraying them constantly.

Other than that I approve of the new changes to gameplay, and I was enjoying the new map, although the intel is hard to get to with anyone other than a scout, but making the intel hard to reach, really isn't a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with challenging gameplay.
derp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »

Btw, are people finding the medical cabinets to be useful?
I have nothing against them, but I hardly use them because it's just too cumbersome to jump back into the spawnpoint on most maps

Good to have though, for when you REALLY need them
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »

Note: this still uses protocol 13...as it was just a fix for my mistakes in b13.

Mixing up versions is no longer as problematic as it was in the original networking protocol, but if you change stuff like reload time especially, what the server thinks is going on and what the client sees will diverge pretty drastically. Since the networking is not as complete yet as I would have liked, the client only knows everyone's positions and keypresses, and these come in somewhat jittery. So when you just hold the shoot button down and the server assumes a different reload time than your client, you will still see the rockets come out at your rate, but the server will see you shooting at different times, and possibly also in different directions if you swing your aim around. That means people may be hit by rockets that throw them back for a split second before the server notifies them again of their proper position, speed and health, and people may die unexpectedly being hit by a rocket they didn't see.

This problem also exists to a degree when the behaviour of client and server matches, due to jittery lag, but it's probably a lot worse when it doesn't. So when you change anything about how the classes behave and similar, you should change the protocol version as well.

I'm open sourcing the project partially because you guys want a lot of changes/fixes and additions, and you want them fast, while I have very little time at the moment. If you can change the game yourself, you can get these things a lot faster than I can provide them. Also, seeing as there are already people providing these changes illegally, I don't want to disadvantage those who want to contribute but actually care about copyright, and I want to give zephro and j-factor the permission to continue with their changes.

I will continue to contribute to the game, but I don't think there will be an "official" version again as such, since I probably won't check everyone's changes. We can try to keep an "official branch" though, that may only be edited by one person at a time (as soon as you have two concurrently changed versions, you get version hell). Coordinating this should probably go into a seperate topic. If someone "checks out" the game and doesn't return the sources in a timely fashion (what this means is entirely up to the other contributors) and doesn't answer for a while, development should proceed from the currently available version.

Quote from: mrfredman
I want to update the first post with the latest 'unofficial' version so that newcomers will be able to play these new releases, but whenever I try to start the lobby, I get the error 'Unable to connect to lobby server - might be down'.

I don't know why this would happen, and I never got this problem. When I checked the Lobby Server when I got back from work, both Lobbies were running and getting connections (There is a Lobby for the compo version and one for the versions that came afterwards, since I had to change the Lobby protocol between these). I switched the new Lobby from my eeepc to the "permanent" server (an old Thinkpad) this morning, but it shouldn't have been unreachable at any time. If this happens for more than 20 minutes at a time and your internet connection is otherwise fine, please inform me about it.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »

Ah, and while I'm at it, I'm "checking out" the sources now. So hold your changes everyone unless you want to merge later.

Also, Thank You for everyone who still hosts a Compo Version server! People need to be able to try this version for judging, so you're helping us a lot!
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2008, 11:32:02 AM »

All of the classes should only have the main ability and gun of the class they represent from TF2, and with some tweaking to make it balanced in 2D. The infiltrator needs a knife instead of a revolver, and the firebug needs to be nerfed(unless it's already weak), but given the ability to ambush(not be seen unless people are facing him).
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

The medic is ridiculous I think the medic should do half damage because right now it is way too high. I can 1v1 with a heavy.

All of the classes should only have the main ability and gun of the class they represent from TF2, and with some tweaking to make it balanced in 2D. The infiltrator needs a knife instead of a revolver, and the firebug needs to be nerfed(unless it's already weak), but given the ability to ambush(not be seen unless people are facing him).

Yea I think that is right on.

Gang Garrison is Awesome
kunphuz3d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »

I think you should definitely add some sort of chat system... but its a great game   Beer!  o and how do u get this guy  Cave Story
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »

I think you should definitely add some sort of chat system... but its a great game   Beer!  o and how do u get this guy  Cave Story

That reminds me, Cave Story needs to have a different weapon sprite.
kunphuz3d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »

ok but can anyone tell me how to get him  Cave Story?
Bobius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

ok but can anyone tell me how to get him  Cave Story?
On character select push the first letter of his name.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic