Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:13:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477685 times)
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »

Hey Zephro, do you think you could add my map in?

I hope the quality of the image is good enough.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:15:11 PM by Stefan » Logged
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »

My map should be taken out, few people like it/play it haha  Beer!!

if i do another map it'll probably be smaller and chaotic, that's what people seem to like Smiley

@ Stefan:looks awesome

...IN HELL!!
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »

Protip: Make small and simple maps with very simple collisions.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »

if i do another map it'll probably be smaller and chaotic, that's what people seem to like Smiley

Thanks. Yours was good, it's just that it was rather large and some parts of it seemed more like a sketch because they were improportionate (is that even a word?) For example, the windows were enormous and the wheels on the truck didn't seem round and they all looked different. However, the artwork was nice.
Rawrl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2008, 01:19:25 PM »

Personally, I love your map. I haven't played beta 13b yet, so I can't say how much better 2dfort_2 is with the collision fixed, but in beta 13 yours was definitely the better of the two. Even with the scale issues, it was fun to play on, and there were many routes you could take to avoid a stalemate and get behind people, which I actually prefer.

I vote we keep it in.
dmeskis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2008, 01:21:06 PM »

Zephro no offense but what were you thinking? You basically gave the medic a minigun with a shorter range. His weapon speed and damage need to be halved. It's not supposed to be a weapon that can be used offensively, just a weapon to try and defend themselves if their medic-buddy dies.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:29:33 PM by dmeskis » Logged
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »

Personally, I love your map. I haven't played beta 13b yet, so I can't say how much better 2dfort_2 is with the collision fixed, but in beta 13 yours was definitely the better of the two. Even with the scale issues, it was fun to play on, and there were many routes you could take to avoid a stalemate and get behind people, which I actually prefer.

I vote we keep it in.

You made me happy Grin

...IN HELL!!
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

I want to do a little stress test. I'll host a server now I will call "stresstest me!", please join with lots of people. Joining twice would be good, too. You can use the b13-client to find the server and join. I want to get the server nicely overloaded.

What SHOULD happen is that the speed will go down once the server can't keep up anymore (resulting in very jerky movement), but you should NOT get any errors. If you get errors, please tell me here. If this goes well, I'll work a bit on explicitly registering intel pickup/drop/cap, reducing the required bandwidth (have a really good idea for that, but it could cost too much CPU on the server) and fixing some bugs.
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »

The medic is overpowered. You can't get around the enemy to kill him in a 2D game.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2008, 01:48:29 PM »

Ok, it seems there's still a bug somewhere, since my own local client gave me an "Unexpected data" message. I'll look further into this.
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 17, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »

It's just that it's really difficult to keep the needed bandwidth low. GG2 currently transfers 3 bytes per player every frame, and 10 bytes per player every fifth frame, to every player (plus TCP/IP overhead for each packet, which is 40 Bytes). But as more people join a server, the required upstream bandwidth of the server rises quadratically. Also, the server will at times have to retransmit lost TCP packets, which causes short bursts of additional bandwidth.

Isn't the typical solution to this problem to switch to UDP?  You can fire-and-forget some of those packets and you cut out the handshaking overhead of TCP.  I don't know how much client-side prediction you're doing right now, but it might need a little reinforcement to handle dropped packets when the network gets flaky.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 17, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »

UDP is good because it has lower overhead, but my protocol depended heavily on TCP's guaranteed delivery in the past. This has improved, but if the client misses some important information like the death of a player or a PLAYER_LEAVE, the protocol still breaks (I don't transmit information for dead players, for example). Also, using UDP gives you the problem of ensuring that the client can actually receive UDP packets through his firewall/router, aka UDP hole punching. I really didn't want to try this during the compo time, and I'm still reluctant.

However, looking through the source of 39dll, I found my mistake with the last test, so we can try again now that it's fixed. So come and stress my server everyone. Smiley

Edit2: Unexpected Data again. Seems the fix might not be as easy as I thought.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:50:32 PM by MedO » Logged
Jebus_Chris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »

I'll try and make a map Tehe  :D

Sometimes when playing I hit invisible walls and move extremely slow and then I appear somewhere else on the map, is this me or the game? D:
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 17, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »

I'll try and make a map Tehe  :D

Sometimes when playing I hit invisible walls and move extremely slow and then I appear somewhere else on the map, is this me or the game? D:

It's lag

...IN HELL!!
gg2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 17, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »

I tried making a map:

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=caveunfinished7lh3.png

can anyone help me make it better or add it into the next update if it's good enough please?
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:57 PM »

This has improved, but if the client misses some important information like the death of a player or a PLAYER_LEAVE, the protocol still breaks (I don't transmit information for dead players, for example).

I'm not much of a network programmer yet, but as I understand it the important, can't-miss stuff is sent in "reliable" packets that require an acknowledgment.  I think they keep getting sent by the server until it receives one of those confirmation packets back from the client.  The client just acknowledges every reliable packet it sees, and the server disregards excess acks as necessary.

You've got a good point about the hole-punching stuff.  Though I can't recall ever setting up any special rules for, say, playing q3arena behind a firewall.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

I tried making a map:

can anyone help me make it better or add it into the next update if it's good enough please?

Where is the intelligence and it would be sweet if it was a 1 intelligence CTF. If so would the flag be at the pinnacle?

Gang Garrison is Awesome
gg2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

I tried making a map:

Where is the intelligence and it would be sweet if it was a 1 intelligence CTF. If so would the flag be at the pinnacle?

I would probably put the intel on the ledges on either side of the sword on the top of the map. and if it could be a 1 intelligence CTF, then I guess it would go directly on top of the sword. thanks for your thoughts lol
andykd7
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 17, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

I tried making a map:

My only other thought is that it is huge. It will take a while as the overweight to get anywhere.Also the game would only be fun with large amounts of people. I still like it a lot though.

Gang Garrison is Awesome
gg2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 17, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »

I tried making a map:

My only other thought is that it is huge. It will take a while as the overweight to get anywhere.Also the game would only be fun with large amounts of people. I still like it a lot though.

the overweight statement is true, but I meant for it to be a map for tons of people because I think games like those are the most fun. thanks  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic