Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:11:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477527 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2008, 06:41:04 AM »

Hm. I've just wanted to try this out, and whenever I try to join a server, I either get "The server sent unexpected data.", or one time I got some GM error, e.g. this here:

for object Player:

Creating instance for non-existing object: -31341
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2008, 07:32:48 AM »

We were playing this at the LAN party I was at just a few hours ago.. it was certainly the most played game. It works absolutely fantastic on lan play, very fun. The developers of this should be proud.  Beer!

We posted about it on /v/ and got a bunch of people playing it online. (~160 replies as of this post) Lags a lot online unforutnately. Here's a screenshot of the thread as of 8:30 this morning.

We'll certainly be playing it at the next lan party as well. Things requested for the next version:
- complete spy and engy class
- another map?
- maybe ingame chat and team chat

also, improved speed for online play. it was totally fine on lan, but once we got online to play with the rest of /v/ we got delay of 3-5 seconds.

Thanks for the awesome game.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:48:46 AM by gnat » Logged

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »

/v/ made this, thought it was funny  Smiley  (scroll to the right, it's big)

Edit: Wow there's like... 50+ people playing online right now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:41:45 AM by gnat » Logged

GitHub
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »

Wow, I'm totally overwhelmed. Also, this shows again why the networking needs an overhaul, the current protocol breaks too easily when something goes slightly wrong and uses too much bandwidth when there are many people on a server (which is ironically caused by a change I made to make it more error resilient).

I guess the break is over then, I'll look into the networking improvements and the easy fixes this weekend and try to push out an improved version with the current features first, before I add the new stuff like Sentries and new maps.
IDTL
Level 0

Woo.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »

/v/ made this, thought it was funny  Smiley  (scroll to the right, it's big)

Edit: Wow there's like... 50+ people playing online right now.
Hehe, I made that. Grin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:03:45 AM by IDTL » Logged
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2008, 08:06:19 AM »

Wow, I'm totally overwhelmed. Also, this shows again why the networking needs an overhaul, the current protocol breaks too easily when something goes slightly wrong and uses too much bandwidth when there are many people on a server (which is ironically caused by a change I made to make it more error resilient).

I guess the break is over then, I'll look into the networking improvements and the easy fixes this weekend and try to push out an improved version with the current features first, before I add the new stuff like Sentries and new maps.

Oh hell yes. Beer!

Hehe, I made that.
lol greets /v/, and good job
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 08:12:09 AM by gnat » Logged

GitHub
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »

After looking at some of the errors people on /v/ are getting, I see now that the irony here is bigger than I thought: The "improvement" I added to keep the clients in sync with the server is taking so much bandwidth that the networking connection of their servers is too slow to handle it, and when the system's send buffer is full data gets lost. That's why everyone is getting "Server sent unexpected data" or related errors.

The "European Unexpected Data" Server running right now seems to have quite a good upstream, I just joined for a round and lag is quite low. This may change if more people join, though.
IDTL
Level 0

Woo.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »

Hm. At least we know what the problem is. Grin
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »

If you'd like to draw a new map, that would be really neat. I can add the wall collision stuff if you just send me an image of the map, it's not that much work.

I could do something like that... How big should each pixel be? (In the 2dfort map, each px looks like 3x3, but I want to make sure)

Actually, the pixels in 2dfort are 6x6 "screen pixels". Using smaller ones is OK, but the entire map must fit into 2048x2048 pixels (the biggest texture size GM can handle), so bigger maps need bigger pixels.
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2008, 09:51:24 AM »

new thread upBeer!

GitHub
SamSmith
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »

A way to limit the number of players on a map would be nice. Mainly just so it doesn't mess the server up and people start getting errors.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »

If you'd like to draw a new map, that would be really neat. I can add the wall collision stuff if you just send me an image of the map, it's not that much work.

I could do something like that... How big should each pixel be? (In the 2dfort map, each px looks like 3x3, but I want to make sure)

Actually, the pixels in 2dfort are 6x6 "screen pixels". Using smaller ones is OK, but the entire map must fit into 2048x2048 pixels (the biggest texture size GM can handle), so bigger maps need bigger pixels.

Hmm... Crap. I have a map that I made that's 4000x350 px with the 6x6 pixels. Although I can easily reduce the size if necessary. Also, can I get some feedback on this? I think I should add more detail to the battleground area. This is more like a 'beta' of the map.

Renton
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »

Looks pretty... empty...

I think you should put at least three levels to fight on (like the original map).

You could make some big rocks to hop on and a cave to go under the desert part.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2008, 10:53:37 AM »

Looks pretty... empty...

I think you should put at least three levels to fight on (like the original map).

You could make some big rocks to hop on and a cave to go under the desert part.

Ooh, I like that idea... especially the cave part. Thanks, I'll get to work right away Smiley
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »

It has to be 2048x2048 pixels *before* upscaling. Your map is actually only 667x58.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2008, 11:08:02 AM »

It has to be 2048x2048 pixels *before* upscaling. Your map is actually only 667x58.

Oh, so isn't that good? I mean, it still fits. Smiley

EDIT : I gave my map a few upgrades. Much better, eh?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:00:29 PM by Stefan » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2008, 12:02:48 PM »

A way to limit the number of players on a map would be nice. Mainly just so it doesn't mess the server up and people start getting errors.

I agree with this, but I have no idea what the limit should be because I've never played with that many people.

All you testers from last night who managed to get a huge game together, whats a good limit before  it gets too laggy? 10 vs 10? 15 vs 15?

Also, I'm super glad to get all the great feedback and even our own comic! It's all very exciting.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »

I agree with this, but I have no idea what the limit should be because I've never played with that many people.

All you testers from last night who managed to get a huge game together, whats a good limit before  it gets too laggy? 10 vs 10? 15 vs 15?

Also, I'm super glad to get all the great feedback and even our own comic! It's all very exciting.

10 vs 10 sounds about right... But sometimes, it's not even the amount of players that makes it laggy. Also, did you see the map I made in the post above?
Renton
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2008, 12:24:54 PM »

Better now. The cave looks pretty cramped, though.

Oh, and Stefan;

Welcome to the forums, mate. Beer!
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »

Better now. The cave looks pretty cramped, though.

Oh, and Stefan;

Welcome to the forums, mate. Beer!

Thanks! And about the cave, compare it to the very narrow part of 2dfort and tell me if that seems cramped. Tongue

Thanks once again.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic