Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411864 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58470 Members - Latest Member: AuroraMaster

June 04, 2024, 01:26:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 478518 times)
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 30, 2008, 04:05:03 AM »

Hey folks, I found this game over here
http://www.gamesforwork.com/games/play-10006-Sentry_Fortress-Flash_Game

Perhaps.. we can learn some codes from it?

Thanks for the link Smiley
I think the sentries are pretty sorted in the means of the code, only thing slowing their progress down a bit...is me being busy irl just like the official devs are.

Wish my studies didn't have so many due-dates at this time of the year  :D

Quote from: xerus
I just want to say that this thread is fucking intense.

I agree lol.

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
Asdf64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:25 AM »

So..... is this a hidden bug? I think somehow the demo blasted me into the spawn...
Well, thought I'd share... Smiley
It took a heavy, the demo and a spy to hurt me fast enough the health box couldn't keep up... :O

That happened to me too. It's harder to tell but I'm the dude who's on fire, since a pyro tried to kill me. (My character is asdf64, for those who don't know.)

A demoman was the one who got me. He places 8 stickies over the health boxes and instant-killed me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:19:05 AM by Asdf64 » Logged
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 30, 2008, 06:05:25 AM »

You be interested to hear that there was a news about Gang Garrison II on GameStar.de today, the website of the best-selling PC games magazine here in Germany Smiley
Here's the link:
http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/action/multiplayer-shooter/1949613/gang_garrison_2.html

And (horribly) google-translated for your convenience:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamestar.de%2Fnews%2Fpc%2Faction%2Fmultiplayer-shooter%2F1949613%2Fgang_garrison_2.html&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:12:47 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
cspotcode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:04 AM »

- Level collisions are not based on level graphics...atm.

- The option to easily add your own levels, like in Steam, may be added.

I've started work on a level editor already.  My idea was to embed all necessary level data in the PNG file.  PNG files have an optional section inside them that can store a big chunk of text data.  So any level editor could load a PNG from MSPaint or Photoshop or wherever, let the user manually place stairs, walls, spawn points, etc, convert all of these into a GML script (like you said) and then embed that script in the PNG's text section.  It'd be really clean for the users to have only 1 file with all the level data.  (you could post your level in a forum thread, and people could right-click the image and just save-as to get the level)  Also, servers could just send clients the URL of the image, and clients could download it.

Hopefully, I'll have an interface screenshot up soon! (Darn school takin' up all my time)

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams
McAndrews
« Reply #644 on: September 30, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »

Wow, congrats on getting boingboinged. 
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/29/gang-garrison-2-what.html
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »

In the next release I do, I shall try using a separate overlay of the level graphics as a "mask" for collision areas... The only issue I can think of is that it may slightly hog cpu on some older machines, when using the entire level as a collision detection area. Either way, it's worth a shot I think.

Worms Armageddon used a pixel collision mask exactly like that, and it ran smooth as silk on my 500Mhz Celeron back in 2000. Overhead from Game Maker wouldn't be a problem if collisions are done by four points on the player (left, right, top, bottom) as well as any additional walking points you may need, taking a look at the corresponding X and Y positions on the collision mask once each frame and running whatever routine you have to push the player outside of the bounded area. For an extra speed boost which, in my experience hasn't affected aesthetics of movement much, have the collision mask at half the size of the level itself, and when checking for pixels just divide the X and Y coordinates by 2. Works fantastic in my game, and is difficult to notice, however with such low resolution levels as you say, this technique may not be so subtle, but it may be worth testing.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: September 30, 2008, 08:26:41 AM »

Aw, hell. This game is goona need it's own forum now.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 30, 2008, 09:34:03 AM »

I just want to say that this thread is fucking intense.

First of all, amen, I can't keep up with this thread, its all over the place, we probably do need a site or a forum or something, but that would just be more overwhelming!

Second, about fog of war. I think it would be very difficult to do, because unless done properly it would just make the game dark and lonely, and not a very pleasant game experience. I think that its unfair to rob our players of a significant portion of their screen. In a 3d game or an RTS fog of war only affects small things like your HUD, or your map, its not something tangible that infringes on your line of site and causes magical selective blindness. It seems to me that people only really want the fog of war to give pyro's more power by giving them the ability to sneak. But like Zephro said, this isn't TF2, its GG2, we've taken a lot from the original game, but we are allowed to take liberties and change things to meet the new context. Not every single piece of TF2 is going to translate into 2d gameplay, and I don't think pyro's ability to ambush at close range is something we should fight to include.

We can work to make the pyro more effective though. I think that the pyro's job right now is pretty similar to the demoman, their job is to block chokepoints (I don't know what else to call them). I made a crappy little mockup to show what i'm talking about.

I didn't actually get a chance to test this this morning though because the lobby server was down again, but I think one way to make the pyro stronger is to:

A) Make new maps that keep this in mind and have plenty of chokepoints/things to hide hind.

B) Maybe make pyro's range slightly longer, and make him do consistent damage at any range. Or maybe just make him do even more damage!

I dunno, it took a lot to finally make the pyro fair and balanced in TF2, and it seems he's going to give us a lot of trouble to.

If I'm totally missing the point of fog of war, someone please correct me, but it seems that people just want to make it easier to hide, and there are a lot of easier solutions than fog-of-war.
shig
« Reply #648 on: September 30, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »

The gameplay is fine. I don't know why you guys insist in adding things that'll change the gameplay almost completely - like a fog of war - since the game is so much fun right now.

Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 30, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

The gameplay is fine. I don't know why you guys insist in adding things that'll change the gameplay almost completely - like a fog of war - since the game is so much fun right now.

This.
SFJake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 30, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »

Wouldn't giving the Pyro his airblast help him...?
Akura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: September 30, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »

Wouldn't giving the Pyro his airblast help him...?
Actually i think that would be awesome.

~Akura
Webmaster of IPTBB.
Phosphorus
Level 0

100% Pure.

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 30, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »

I think that'll make the game too unbalanced; since there is no ammo in this game, the pyro could spam that to get close to Quote/Demoman/Soldier and burn them to death.
Akura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: September 30, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »

I think that'll make the game too unbalanced; since there is no ammo in this game, the pyro could spam that to get close to Quote/Demoman/Soldier and burn them to death.
I don't remember it taking ammo in TF2 but.... i never used it much.

~Akura
Webmaster of IPTBB.
tlatseg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 30, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »

First of all, great game.

However, as others have been stating there has been some less than sportsman like activity as of late, witnessed here:

During a siege, being able to enter and exit the spawn/health room is vital, especially when you are outnumbered (here 10 to 4). What the picture does not show is that there were five people outside spamming the entrance while three players switched teams to blast the person out. It also does not show that often people move freely in and out to maintain a defensive position, very few simply remain in the room except in times such as that, and when they do, they are devising some sort of strategy to get themselves out of this mess.

My proposed solution to this is two-fold: first, do not allow players to fire their weapons in the room, this would dissuade others from switching teams just for this purpose. Second, set a limit on the amount of time the intel can remain in the opposing team's room, when this time expires the intel is restored to its original position.

As you can see the Demos have also found a glitch that allows them to blast the back side of the room on the 2nd map. Also, can we please delete Cave Story or increase the delay between shots?
cspotcode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 30, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

My proposed solution to this is two-fold: first, do not allow players to fire their weapons in the room, this would dissuade others from switching teams just for this purpose. Second, set a limit on the amount of time the intel can remain in the opposing team's room, when this time expires the intel is restored to its original position.

What about TF2's solution, where the player automatically drops the intel outside when they go into a spawn room?  That bypasses the problem entirely, because the intel can never go into the spawn room.

Also, can we please delete Cave Story or increase the delay between shots?

How about a server option to disable Cave Story?  That way, we don't have to get rid of him, but people don't have to play with him if they don't want to.

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
- Douglas Adams
Gurren
Level 0

Lagann!

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »

Cave Story's rapidfire is really annoying
tlatseg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 30, 2008, 07:59:23 PM »

What about TF2's solution, where the player automatically drops the intel outside when they go into a spawn room?  That bypasses the problem entirely, because the intel can never go into the spawn room.

Also, can we please delete Cave Story or increase the delay between shots?

How about a server option to disable Cave Story?  That way, we don't have to get rid of him, but people don't have to play with him if they don't want to.

Your suggestions would certainly work better.
Phosphorus
Level 0

100% Pure.

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 01, 2008, 07:05:07 AM »

I don't remember it taking ammo in TF2 but.... i never used it much.

It uses 25 points of fuel every time you use it in TF2, so it isn't a good idea for you to spam it too much.
SFJake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 01, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »

Will the ability to make a Dedicated Server ever be implemented?

I'm in no hurry. Its already kind of possible, you go spectator and leave it open. Then you can easily open the game again and play on your own server.

The problem is the game itself is still running and you can't see the desktop, etc.

A simple option to just lower the window would actually do much good...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic